Saturn Sky Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,120 Posts
The dealer might be able to tell you who flashed the BCM. There is also a small chance that there is a warranty.

Emphasis on might and small.

·
Registered
589 Posts
JohnWR,

Thank you so much for helping to determine why my door locks are not working. It surely sounds like a software issue. I will get that looked at when I get the brake pedal sensor calibrated.

I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Once the door locks and brake pedal sensor calibration are done (hoping the calibration wakes up the cruise control) the rest for me is straight forward with installing the balance of the interior, some brake work, more polishing, a little touch-up paint, and paintless dent removal.

·
Super Moderator
6,120 Posts
JohnWR,

Thank you so much for helping to determine why my door locks are not working. It surely sounds like a software issue. I will get that looked at when I get the brake pedal sensor calibrated.

I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Once the door locks and brake pedal sensor calibration are done (hoping the calibration wakes up the cruise control) the rest for me is straight forward with installing the balance of the interior, some brake work, more polishing, a little touch-up paint, and paintless dent removal.
I finally got a chance to look up cruise control troubleshooting. Under Cruise Control Inoperative/Malfunctioning is this Diagnostic Aid: "Inspect for proper operation of the stop lamps." So there is a pretty good chance that the BPP sensor is the problem there.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I finally got a chance to look up cruise control troubleshooting. Under Cruise Control Inoperative/Malfunctioning is this Diagnostic Aid: "Inspect for proper operation of the stop lamps." So there is a pretty good chance that the BPP sensor is the problem there.
Thanks for the technical encouragement. I have to call my friend at Link Automotive in Rolling Meadows, IL. I would much rather he help me, if he has the capability. With the good weather here, I've been heavily distracted catching up on desperately needed yard work. :(

·
Registered
589 Posts
JohnWR,

I am emailing my mechanic friend. I am mentioning that option codes AU0 and AU3 are likely needing to be programmed into the BCM. Are there others to include to get the alarm system and power door locks operational? I also wonder if menu item #7 AUTO UNLOCK will automatically show up in my DIC.

I wonder if option codes can be added, or if all the codes are cleared and you start over from scratch.

I found this list of RPO codes on the forum.

AF2 Adjuster - Seat, Power, 2 Way, Vert, Driver
AL0 Sensor Indicator - Inflatable Restraint, Frt Pass/Child Presence Detector
AU0 Lock Control, Entry - Remote Entry
AU3 Lock Control - Side Door, Elec
A31 Window - Power Operated, All Doors
A50 Seat - Front Bucket
B32 Covering Front - Floor Mats, Auxiliary
B70 Plate - Door Sill Cover
CE7 Certification - Emission, Exported Vehicle
CT1 Country - Belgium
CT3 Country - Germany
CU1 Country - Norway
CU4 Country - Sweden
CV3 Country - Mexico
C41 HVAC System - Heater, Outside Air, with Fan
C60 HVAC System - Air Conditioner Front, Manual Controls
DNR Equipment - Dealer Installed
DT4 Ashtray - Cigarette Lighter
D44 Mirror Outside - Color
D48 Mirror Outside - Left and Right, Remote Control, Electric, Color
D52 Spoiler - Rear End, Sport
EXP Export
FE2 Suspension System - Ride, Handling
FE3 Suspension System - Sport
FE9 Certification - Emission, Federal
GTA Model Conversion - Turbo
GT4 Axle Rear - 3.73 Ratio
GW1 Axle Rear - 3.91 Ratio
G80 Axle Positraction - Limited Slip
JF5 Pedals - Sporty, Alloy
JL4 Control - Active Brake
JL9 Brake System - Power, Front and Rear Disc, Antilock, Front and Rear Wheels
J65 Brake System - Power, Front and Rear Disc
KG7 Generator - 125 Amp
KG9 Generator - 140 Amp
K34 Cruise Control - Automatic, Electronic
LNF Engine - Gas, 4 Cyl, 2.0L, DI, ALUM, DOHC, Turbo, GM
LE5 Engine - Gas, 4 Cyl, 2.4L, MFI, ALUM, DOHC, HO, ECOTEC
MA5 Transmission - Man 5 Spd, Aisin, 82 mm, 3.753 1st, 0.729 5th
MM5 Merchandised Transmission - Man 5 Spd Provisions
MX0 Merchandised Transmission - Auto Provisions, O/D
M82 Transmission - Auto 5 Spd, HMD, 5L40-E, Electronic
NE1 Certification - Emission, Geographically Restricted Registration for Vehicles up to 14,000 lbs GVW
NT4 Emission System - EEC 05
NT7 Emission System - Federal, Tier 2
NU1 Emission System - California LEV2
N34 Steering Wheel - Leather, 3 Spokes
N45 Steering Wheel - 3 Spokes
N87 Wheel - 18 X 8, Aluminum
PD5 Wheel - 18 X 8, Aluminum, Chromed
QFX Tire All - P245/45R18 - 96V BW R/PE ST TL AL3
QSL Tire All - P245/45R18 - 96W BW TL HW4
QF8 Wheel - 18 X 8, Aluminum, Polished
T96 Lamp - Fog, Front
T98 Stamping - Vehicle Identification Number
UE1 Communication System - Vehicles, G.P.S. 1
UK3 Control - Steering Wheel, Accessory
UQ3 Speaker System - Enhanced Audio
US6 Antenna - Fixed, Painted, Radio
US8 Radio - AM/FM Stereo, Seek/Scan, CD, Auto Tone, Clock, ETR, MP3, RDS
US9 Radio - AM/FM Stereo, Seek/Scan, RDS, Multiple Compact Disc, Auto Tone Control, Clock, ETR, MP3
UW5 Speaker System - 6, Base
U1C Radio - AM/FM Stereo, Seek/Scan, CD, Clock, ETR
U2K Digital Audio System - S-Band
U19 Speedometer - Instrument, Kilo and Miles, Kilo Odometer
U68 Display - Driver Info Center
VC4 Label - Price/Fuel Econ, Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands
VG8 Vehicle - Label, Notice to Buyer
VH5 Plate - Vehicle Identification
VK3 License Plate Front - Front Mounting Package
VY7 Knob - Trans Cont Lever, Leather
V73 Vehicle Statement - USA/Canada
V78 Vehicle Statement - Delete
WIL Plant Code - Wilmington, DE, USA
YF5 Certification - Emission, California
ZQ2 Sales Package - Driver Convenience
ZQ3 Sales Package - Driver Convenience II
Z0K Merchandised Pkg - Sport Version
Z49 Export - Canadian Modified Mandatory Base Equipment
19T Top Color - Convertible, Black
60T Top Color - Convertible, Cloth, Latte (07)

·
Registered
589 Posts
My friend who owns Link Automotive in Rolling Meadows, IL says he can take care of the programming of the BCM and calibration of the brake pedal sensor for me. I will bring all my FOBs in case he needs to reprogram them. I have to assemble enough of the car so water won't get inside. But I still want the interior stripped in case he wants to check something behind panels. I also want to wait for the rain here to stop being a threat. We've had serious flooding in the area. I have to drop the car off, not wait for it, so I don't know how long it will sit outside in his parking lot.

·
Super Moderator
6,120 Posts
That's good news. The RCDLR should not be affected, but sending the fobs along is certainly a good precaution.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I've had my Sky at my friend's auto repair shop for 3 weeks now. He finally got past his rush of work since COVID-19 lifted around here.

He called and asked me if the BCM was replaced. I told him I assumed so because my odometer states 9500 miles when it should state around 120,000 miles. He told me that using his equipment (I assume the Tech-II talked about here so much) he was able to get into the BCM software but was not successful in getting the brake light calibrated, nor getting the power door locks to work. He reloaded the software from scratch and got the same negative results. He was able to work the power door locks through his equipment so he feels the trouble is with the BCM. He said the BCM installed in the car has the correct part number though he cannot tell if it is the original one. He has a remanufactured BCM on-order from a personal source and will try that one. If it doesn't solve the problem, he says he should be able to return it.

With a remanufactured BCM, I requested to increase the odometer reading to reflect the actual mileage of 120,000 miles. He responded saying he did not see a menu option for the odometer, but he will keep that in-mind. He thought the odometer reading was stored inside the instrument cluster. I told him the Sky forum says it is stored in the BCM.

I will continue to post what happens next.

·
Super Moderator
6,120 Posts
If he can operate the door locks with the Tech2, the problem is not physically in the BCM.

I am curious about how he "reloaded the software".

·
Registered
589 Posts
I got a call today. My Sky is all good now with the brake lights, cruise control, and power door locks working properly. Unfortunately I couldn't get to the shop before they closed so the car sits in the shop waiting for me Monday.

My friend suspected the BCM in the car was not the original one, and it was installed without proper programming. The (new replacement) remanufactured BCM gave him all the right prompts including the opportunity to input the odometer reading. Given all the information I have gathered from the car itself along with it's Carfax history, I estimated the actual miles to be 120,000, not 9,500 so I instructed him to input 120,000 miles.

He did not mention anything with regards to the adding of TPMS, and I forgot to ask him about it. I assume he was not able to add that 2008 feature into my 2007 Sky. He did tell me earlier that such features are VIN specific.

Cost to me is going to be just under $800. Money Pit jabs me one more time. For the money alone that I put into it, I could have bought a nice low mileage Red Line. My countless hours in the car can't be tabulated to a dollar value. We better get a lot of joy out of this thing when it's done.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Glad you are slowly getting your car back into shape. I just took the cover off mine tonight, giving it a good clean up tomorrow and hopefully be ready for a few months of top down driving.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Cost to me is going to be just under $800. Money Pit jabs me one more time. For the money alone that I put into it, I could have bought a nice low mileage Red Line. My countless hours in the car can't be tabulated to a dollar value. We better get a lot of joy out of this thing when it's done.
Ha, I went for the "nice low mileage Redline" thinking the same... 6k later...

·
Registered
589 Posts
Our 2007 Sky is back home with everything working properly, so I now have brake lights, cruise control, and power door locks. I wasted so many hours on all that. If only I knew then what I know today. The problem was 100% related to the old BCM and/or the programming to it when it was installed. My friend said that he suspects it was not the original BCM. He was unable to reprogram that BCM, but the new (remanufactured) unit was wide open for him to program everything the car was equipped with as well as setting the odometer to reflect the actual miles on the car. He also mentioned setting the ABS so I might not have had working ABS until now. He was not able to cheat the system to add the 2008 model year TPMS feature, but no great loss. I am happy I have 100% of the car finally functioning as designed.

So now I can move forward with the balance of this mild restoration project.

·
Super Moderator
6,120 Posts
I'm glad that you got this sorted out. The TPMS would have been nice, but it was a long shot.

I assume the data had to be downloaded from GM. Is this correct? Some more detail about the reprogramming would be really helpful for the next 2007 owner that has to replace a BCM.

·
Registered
589 Posts
JohnWR,

I just got off the phone with my friend.

He told me his Tech-II equipment has all BCM related data permanently stored inside it to program the BCM.

Because of my multiple issues, he went an extra step and updated the software in the ECM and IP. That cost me extra because it cost him extra to download it. He said the annual GM subscription for that is crazy expensive so he pays as needed. He did not know if the ECM/IP update did any good. He wanted to make sure there were no hidden gremlins so he did that update only as "precautionary insurance" the car would be perfect for me.

I agree, the TPMS would have been nice. But it's good to have my Sky working right, even without TPMS.

I have been busy on my Honey-Do list, now trying to squeeze in a little time here and there to get the balance of the car complete since it is back home in our garage.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
TPMS is not worth worrying about. Mine has never worked and I dont miss it. Its just another bell to maintain that doesnt work when it does work.

·
Super Moderator
6,120 Posts
JohnWR,

I just got off the phone with my friend.

He told me his Tech-II equipment has all BCM related data permanently stored inside it to program the BCM.

Because of my multiple issues, he went an extra step and updated the software in the ECM and IP. That cost me extra because it cost him extra to download it. He said the annual GM subscription for that is crazy expensive so he pays as needed. He did not know if the ECM/IP update did any good. He wanted to make sure there were no hidden gremlins so he did that update only as "precautionary insurance" the car would be perfect for me.

I agree, the TPMS would have been nice. But it's good to have my Sky working right, even without TPMS.

I have been busy on my Honey-Do list, now trying to squeeze in a little time here and there to get the balance of the car complete since it is back home in our garage.
Thanks for checking on that.

The lazy in me missed the TPMS when I switched cars this morning, but I have survived this long.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts