Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, allow me to thank the community for the opportunity to be a member of a community that offers so much information in such a clear and concise fashion. It truly is a blessing to have all of this material available to me as a new owner. Most incredibly though is that this forum makes owning a Sky even more fun. The investment in the car alone was worth it in my humble opinion. This forum takes that enjoyment even further. I am thankful for the ability to find out whatever interests me about the car at the moment and research it.

I purchased a 2008 Redline this past month. 10,000 miles. Mint condition. Seems to be fully loaded from what I can see on the window sticker.

Now I'm a tinkerer at heart and can't leave anything well enough alone. Part of me says leave the car alone, perform routine maintenance and enjoy a car show / cruising car experience that will outlive me. The other half can't leave well enough alone. I've read dozens of threads detailing what members have done to their cars. We'll see which half wins out. LOL

·
Registered
618 Posts
I just noticed the passenger side door looks darker in the picture. Must be a shadow or the light. The car has a clean carfax.
Congratulations on your “new” Sky and welcome to the Forum. There are volumes and volumes of posts about the door color differences. The debate rages strong as to if it’s the paint, shadow….. Well, suffice to say there are just as many opinions on the color differences as there are theories on UFO’s 🛸 and the Kennedy assassination.
Find a comfortable chair 🪑, your favorite beverage 🍸, and hit search 🔍 to research as to why there is a color difference.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the ownership club of smiles.
2008 RL with 10k in mint condition. Nice buy at this time of year.
Things here you must check on first are the battery, tires & fluids.
Old is old even if it looks brand new with 10k miles on the odometer.

As you wander around the vast amount of data on our gem in the search
feature peaking your interest level of what you will change- " tinkering with"
to personalize your car to your tastes- imo start with the safety factors first.

Have a rainy day fund in hand as this car can be expensive to fix in some cases.
I am fighting this right now- well maybe not fighting but enduring the hassle of lack
of available parts- which can be huge to your enjoyment factor later- just say'n.
Cracked the windshield Big time on my return trip home from my latest trip to the
ocean front. $ 424.00 less deductible. I am hoping tomorrow I hear good news.

New rubber on all four corners- $ 1k. WP replacement not that you will need that
with 10k but- could be over $ 1k. It adds up after the costs of purchase.
After market goodies- for the tinkering crowd. Many owners here to help you
spend your money on the upgrades you might seek.

Now lastly your photos- good that you took these, for proof later as to it's current
condition. Any change to it's appearance- take photos of what has been done.
Then- your neighborhood. What do your neighbors think of you now? Why IS
this guy always smiling when he starts up his new toy. They have no clue.

Enjoy the journey, check your face in the mirror every morning too.
You just might look and maybe feel younger after a few weeks just say'n.

LAC

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I just noticed the passenger side door looks darker in the picture. Must be a shadow or the light. The car has a clean carfax.
I ran over a curb in a parking lot and smashed one of my fenders. The fenders I purchased didn't color match exactly.

Lucky for me I took my car to a local Dad/Son paint shop. And the Dad told me they don't have to mix colors for GM bluestone. (Probably the same for GM silver.) Every can of paint should color match exactly. Sure enough. I had them repaint my fenders and paint my Lumma spoiler - and now the color match is perfect.

Where I'm going with this is. Once your budget recovers from your purchase. And if the color match bothers you... Look into having a shop touchup/repaint your car with GM silver. Of course do the clear coat too. That'll make it so all the panels color match perfectly. They quoted me 2500 to repaint my entire car and leave it's Street edition decals intact. Not a complete repaint job - but a touchup entire car repaint job.

With the spoiler install they repainted the trunk. And with the "opel branding change - where they sanded out the logo box on the rear facia - they repainted part of the bumper and it all looks great.

I noticed that - with time - color fades, the gloss gets dull and the metal flake looses it's brilliance. And for not much more than it costs to have a car ceramic detailed you can get it repainted the original color. Your entire car will look like new.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Congrats on the new car, it's beautiful. It looks like you could use an antennae too. I also know the feeling of battling between being a tinkerer and leaving well enough alone. Personally my compromise has always been if the modification was available form the manufacturer or was when the vehicle was produced it's fair game. As well as if the stock parts can easily be replaced just in case.

As far as the doors not matching this is very common on the silver cars. As others pointed out it has something to do with angles, etc. I find the same to be true with my front fenders they often look a shade darker than the rest of the car. They're original and have never been damaged.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so i've been researching but so far no luck. is the gmpp setup still available from the gm dealers? I know that there are better tunes from trifecta and such I just prefer the dealer.

·
Registered
203 Posts
so i've been researching but so far no luck. is the gmpp setup still available from the gm dealers? I know that there are better tunes from trifecta and such I just prefer the dealer.
The gmpp cai setup is something I’d love too but they are very hard to find and about $800 and do not give any HP boost - I can talk about some common upgrades but not from experience as I read a lot but my sky is stock other than an HFC.
Let’s organize a meet up- I see another remember here that says he is on Long Island and Interested in a meet up

1 - 14 of 14 Posts