Saturn Sky Forum banner

New old guy here

1K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  RickyD 
#1 ·
Wanted a Sky when I first saw one years ago. Last night I bought a 2008 red Sky. I'm John and new on here and probably have a million questions but I will search the forum and do a bunch of reading first. The only problem I found with the car was the remote trunk opener doesn't work. It works pushing the button in the glove box. I bought the car from a lady so I can'tgo to the dealer. Well, I could go to the dealer if I really had to but on a social security income I try to do most of it on my own. Anyway, glad to be here.

John

#2 ·
Welcome, John!

Congratulations on your "new to you" Sky.

I take it that by remote trunk release, you mean on the keyless entry key fob transmitter. Since the glovebox trunk release is also electric, this may be an issue with the key fob itself having a bad button contact inside. It is more likely to be in the key fob transmitter than it is to be with the wiring or with the computer in the vehicle.

It would probably be best to get a replacement key fob at a GM dealership or through an on-line parts vendor. The new fob can be programmed to the car easily enough, and will likely resolve the issue.

Having said that, in some rare cases, the fob buttons will stop working if there is dirt or corrosion on the internal contacts, or a crack in the circuit board of the key fob. You could theoretically open the key fob and inspect / clean the contacts, and you could also use a small wire or the tines of a fork to short the contacts under the button together and test to see if it might be just low conductance on the carbon bead behind the button. If so, you can try cleaning the contacts on the board and gently cleaning the carbon bead with alcohol and Q-tip. This will sometimes work.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. After your next post which is approved and is not in the off-topic, test area, or the Frontier, your posts will show up immediately. (It's an anti-spam measure--believe me, we do need it!!)

Again congratulations on your new wheels.

All the best,
Crimson Avenger

#3 ·
Welcome sir. Sounds like the key fob may need a new battery. Mine started failing and I replaced the battery, it has worked fine since. Be careful when you take it apart, as there is a little clamp that tends to come loose. You will understand when you open it.

Glad you are with us, a lot of us on this site are geezers, so have a ball, ask any question, we are all here to help if we can.

#10 ·
Given the assumption that the door locks work fine, and it's JUST the trunk, I would counter the earlier answers with this one...

It's most probable that your switch membrane inside the remote is either dirty, or on its last legs. Take the remote apart and clean the dark conductive dots on the back of the rubber button membrane. If that doesn't work, you can glue little patches of aluminum foil over the dots. Alternatively, you can pick up replacement membranes, or even whole remote cases off eBay for under $5.

Example (no affiliation, etc...): Black 4 Button BTN Remote Key Case Fob Shell Rubber Pad for GM Pontiac Buick | eBay

#12 ·
Exactly. I agree with you completely. :)

Welcome, John!
Having said that, in some rare cases, the fob buttons will stop working if there is dirt or corrosion on the internal contacts, or a crack in the circuit board of the key fob. You could theoretically open the key fob and inspect / clean the contacts, and you could also use a small wire or the tines of a fork to short the contacts under the button together and test to see if it might be just low conductance on the carbon bead behind the button. If so, you can try cleaning the contacts on the board and gently cleaning the carbon bead with alcohol and Q-tip. This will sometimes work.
I'd say we agree based on my quote. ;)

#13 ·
Fob

I bought a new fob and programmer off ebay. I programmed both the new fob and the old fob. The new one works the doors and trunk like it should and the old one still just the doors so the old one is bad.I took the old one apart and just pressed the metal buttons inside the fob and doors work, trunk doesn't. Thanks for all welcomes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.