Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

My first post on the forum, hope I am doing it right!

Have admired the Sky since it came out. I have been a Jag fan since high school and always had a soft spot for the '54-'56 D type (the Le Mans racer). The lines of the Sky always brought to mind what I thought the D type might look like if it had continued to evolve over the years. ( if you haven't done it, search the D type (without the fin) and compare it to the Sky.) but owning one didn't seem to make sense for me as other things took precedence. Then my wife (bless her!) purchased me a used '08 Sky as a retirement present after 30+ years in the Fire Department. (Victory Red, I told my guys that "this is what happens when you wash a Fire Engine in REALLY hot water!) I am LOVING it!

But!

Was having some brake noise out of the passenger side rear. Had a mechanic friend take a look, and recommend replacing pads and rotors. I decided (on his recommendation) to go with the upgraded set from PowerStop. Have used them on other rigs and have been impressed,
After looking at the stock calipers (130k miles and 12 years old and looking pretty rough) I decided to replace them as well. Bought a set of Callahan re manufactured calipers (powder coated in red to match the car) and started the process.
Replaced the rears first, and as I attempted to bleed them, found that BOTH of the "new" calipers were leaking from under the parking brake attachment cam. Contacted the manufacturer and, after much discussion, returned the leaky rears and the unopened fronts for a refund.

Next step, upgrade further to the PowerStop calipers. these are new (as opposed to re manufactured) and considerably more expensive, BUT they are advertised as "each caliper is pressure tested prior to shipping" so it should be better quality control. After waiting for delivery, I installed the new rears, and....... The drivers side leaked from the same spot! Contacted the manufacture, they apologized profusely and sent a replacement, which I installed today and, after bleeding the system, this one as a slow leak at the same spot. I sent the manufacture a video (I will attach a photo here as the system doesn't seem to allow video postings). This one has a drip about every 5-10 seconds where the last one had a stream so we are moving in the right direction, I think?

So, I have the brake job from the nether regions here, a 80% failure rate on 5 rear calipers tried, and I still haven't been able to get to the fronts! Beyond frustrating! The car has been up on jack stands for pushing 5 weeks now with no end in sight. (sorry, don't mean to rant)

My question is, has anyone else had failure issues on rear calipers, or am I just "lucky" enough to get all the bad ones? a google search and a search of the forum doesn't seem show this as a common issue, but I don't see how based on this experience. Or, is this something I am doing? I am not new to wrenching on my own vehicles and it is certainly not the first time I have done brakes, but this is the first time I have worked with the integrated parking brake connection. am I missing something?

Thanks for letting me air this one, I appreciate your help in advance!
Ted
20200611_170507_2.jpg

·
Registered
435 Posts
WOW! Powerstops look really nice. I work for Akebono and I would say you're just lucky. I'm truly shocked that there would be an 80% bad part right out of the box, especially from Powerstop. A bad batch maybe? Contact Powerstop and tell them your scenario and see if they offer any concessions. Many times a big company like that will do that for you if you get to the right person. It might take a day or 2, and I'm pretty sure they would want the current set you have back and they would bench test new ones before sending them....or at least we would. But we don't do too many calipers other then OE stuff now....Just be calm and don't get aggitated with anyone...don't scream and be pleasant and explain your situation. That's all the advice I can offer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good question, These are new calipers, they come out of the box already retracted so I am not having to retract them at all. Just load the pads on them, bolt them up, swap the brake line and bleed the system.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW! Powerstops look really nice. I work for Akebono and I would say you're just lucky. I'm truly shocked that there would be an 80% bad part right out of the box, especially from Powerstop. A bad batch maybe? Contact Powerstop and tell them your scenario and see if they offer any concessions. Many times a big company like that will do that for you if you get to the right person. It might take a day or 2, and I'm pretty sure they would want the current set you have back and they would bench test new ones before sending them....or at least we would. But we don't do too many calipers other then OE stuff now....Just be calm and don't get aggitated with anyone...don't scream and be pleasant and explain your situation. That's all the advice I can offer.
Thanks Ghost, I appreciate the advice.

·
Super Moderator
5,893 Posts
Good question, These are new calipers, they come out of the box already retracted so I am not having to retract them at all. Just load the pads on them, bolt them up, swap the brake line and bleed the system.
What was wrng with the old ones? I haven't heard about many caliper failures.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really, probably nothing was wrong with them. They were grimy and corroded, but I was originally going to clean them up and paint them. But seeing how corroded they were, I decided it would less work and better overall to replace them. Starting to regret that decision a bit! The new ones look great, now if they wouldn't leak....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Ghost, I appreciate the advice.
WOW! Powerstops look really nice.
Here is what they look like with the PowerStop rotors. IMHO they look great! And I have had good performance from PowerStop pads and rotors on other vehicles. Now if I can only get a caliper that doesn't leak!
20200612_114742.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,893 Posts
Not that it has anything to do with this thread, but keep an eye on those drilled rotors as they have a tendency to crack under hard use.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I put Wilwood brakes on from DDM. They needed broke in before they functioned properly. They grabbed like a slege hammer. I had to brake very lightly until they broke in. Then they were awesome.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Not that it has anything to do with this thread, but keep an eye on those drilled rotors as they have a tendency to crack under hard use.
Nothing happens with those tiny hairline cracks though, the rotor doesn't disintegrate into a million pieces.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I work for Akebono and I would say you're just lucky. I'm truly shocked that there would be an 80% bad part right out of the box, especially from Powerstop. A bad batch maybe? r.
@The_Ghost Forgot to mention that I also went from Dot 3 to Dot 4 brake fluid when I did this job. I flushed the system with the old (original) calipers on, then changed to the first set so that any junk in the system came through before the new calipers went on. Everything I read says this shouldn't be an issue but I am re-checking everything I have done! PowerStop states (on their website) that their components are usable with DOT 3, 4 and 5.1 fluids but I wasn't sure if maybe the DOT 4 was a lower viscosity and might be too thin for the seals? Any chance of that or am I barking up the wrong tree? Thanks for your expertise!

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm not sure. I know that the boiling point goes up with higher DOT numbers. But, I wouldn't think it would be an issue if they say their product is compatible with it. Remember instead of once every 50k, you're going to have to flush the brake fluid like every year now as the higher the number, the more susceptible to water being absorbed in the fluid from heat and the atmosphere. Unfortunately I can't ask anyone right now because I'm furloughed till God knows when....

EDIT: A quick search on wikipedia for DOT brake fluid shows viscosity is relatively the same for DOT 2, 3 and 4.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again Ghost, hope you are back to work soon! My guess at this point is that there was a bad batch of seals for the parking brake pivot. And I was lucky enough to buy mine from the ones built with that bad batch. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Spoke with PowerStop again today, (very friendly!) and they are still working on the issue. They have found a faulty part in the manufacturing process of this caliper (S5050) and another that uses the same connection for the parking break that warps the seal and allows a leak. Hopefully they can get me non-leaking replacements ASAP and get the little red car off the jack stands and back on the road before the sunshine goes away!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Spoke with PowerStop again today, (very friendly!) and they are still working on the issue. They have found a faulty part in the manufacturing process of this caliper (S5050) and another that uses the same connection for the parking break that warps the seal and allows a leak. Hopefully they can get me non-leaking replacements ASAP and get the little red car off the jack stands and back on the road before the sunshine goes away!
Wow, props to them for taking the steps to fix the problem! Sucks when you're the one who finds it, hopefully they are taking care of you in a satisfactory manner.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Thank you for calling them!! If you hadn't called them, many more would have had this same issue and they may not have caught it for months. I just called Dorman today for their fob programmer. After you program your fobs, you get a low battery in fob warning on your DIC and it's annoying. They were not aware and said they will look into it. I told them that many had experienced this on Facebook and the forums.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Ghost, manufacturing issues happen, in my opinion it's how a company responds to them that makes or breaks them. So far, Power Stop has been pleasant and responsive. Their tech told me that they had discovered and addresed this issue on a different caliper, but were unaware that they had made a batch of S5050 calipers with the same part. I will reserve final judgement until I have a working brake system on the car, but so far they have been good to work with. As you suggested they would, they want to make a new set and hydraulically bench test them before sending them out to me. I will post back when they do!
(My guess is that Callahan bought the same part for theirs, thus the original failure in another brand)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts