Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
I will be doing brakes on my 2007 Base Sky. I wanted 100% Bosch brake pads & rotors but the rear rotors are no longer available, so I bought ACDelco OEM rotors. Both the Bosch and OEMs are "supposedly" corrosion resistant and have been corrosion tested to degrade at nearly the same rate. I will find out which performs better in that regard. The Bosch rotors sure look more attractive when new.

As I have done on other vehicles including a Solstice GXP, I plan to clean up the rear calipers given they are alloy. The front calipers and brackets are cast iron so I will sandblast and paint them gray as shown on the Solstice. The color choice is to match the rear.

Here is a painted front caliper.

Here is a rear alloy caliper, cleaned & unpainted.

I don't know what it is about me, but red calipers never suited my fancy. Maybe I would feel different about it if the car was red.

Given my ugly looking brakes on my Sky work well, it is not my highest priority. But they surely are an Achillie's heel in vehicle appearance.

·
Premium Member
4,190 Posts
LOL I love you guy. You spend a lot of $$$ on brakes that work just fine from the factory and put them behind painted wheels. Great look. :)
What ever works for you.

I had similar drilled and slotted high performance brakes on my Punisher Hauler. They lasted 35 k miles and are shot. Went back to stock rotors with improved pads.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
As an update on the original post, "little red"is back on the road! I will post a detailed update and photos when I can get to a real keyboard instead of a phone!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
OK, now that I am back to a full size keyboard!
Finishing the story of the "brake job from heck" (see OP for the starting point)

It took them a few weeks, but PowerStop made good on their plan. They built a new set of rear calipers, and (judging by the brake fluid residue on them when they arrived) actually hydraulically tested them prior to overnight shipping them to me. With great fear and apprehension (and maybe a little PTSD from the previous 3 attempts) I bolted them up and bled the system. SUCCESS! the rears held pressure and no leaks! I put the rear tires back on and for the first time in 5 weeks the little car had four feet on the ground again. I could almost feel it's confusion when I immediately jacked up the front and pulled those tires, but I gave it lots of compassionate words and continued. The fronts went on quickly and easily with no leaks, just as I had expected from the rears pushing 2 months ago! Bled the system, put its shoes back on and got it off the jack stands.

Those of you who have used PowerStop products in the past will know the break in they recommend to seat the new pads and rotors, I performed that and the breaks are certainly more responsive than the ones I was replacing. No noise, good stopping power & firm peddle. (I also changed out the original brake lines for stainless).

All in all, It's great to be back on the road. Hindsight, I probably could have just painted the original calipers, and been done two months ago, but at least I know the age and history now of the bulk of the brake system. And I think it looks pretty good! (Photos below) I would use PowerStop again, and I think they have pulled and rebuilt their bad batch of S5050 calipers so hopefully no one else goes though this process (lucky me!)
Thanks to all of you who offered support on this process! (Especially @The_Ghost and @JohnWR) I appreciate it!
Ted

·
Super Moderator
5,922 Posts
Glad that they took care of you, and that your car is back on the road. And thanks for letting everyone know how it turned out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well if it means anything they do look like the cats azz along with the red on the car. Perfect match!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Gotta say, just for the record, that it dosen't get old driving this little car and watching heads turn to follow you down the street! Definitely enjoying the little beast!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts