Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally got my Sky! I've wanted one of these since they first came out, and happy to finally be an owner. I ended up buying an 09' in Evening Blue, RL, Auto, <15k miles. Arrived by transport on a cold winter day, so it may be awhile before I can drive unfortunately.

There are several things that I'll need to take care of right off, to include new fluids, new tires (still has the originals), figure out the fobs (neither work) and get a spare key (only came with one).

I few other minor things that I noticed right away:

-The front license plate bracket flops like noodle, was held with two screws on the bottom edge and double sided tape in the mid section. Is this factory and the norm? I think I'll try with some fresh tape to see if it helps.

-The fog light switch is missing its cap or end with the picture on it. The switch works otherwise. Do I need to replace the whole switch, and if so, how does it come out? Does anyone know if the missing piece screws or snaps on? That would be ideal if it did, then I could easily fix it from the front side.

-Gas filler door seems to close without cushion, and I did not see any rubber bumpers inside. Am I missing something?

-Drivers side door sill, the aluminum insert is bubbled up, so may have to replace if I can't get it to lay flat.

-Center console cup holder is jammed closed. I know these are a problem, but I thought the 09's made an improvement. Also, I'm bummed they deleted the other cup holder below the back cubby. I know the placement was awkward, but at least it was something. Any leads on the parts to put one in are greatly appreciated!

I'll be sure to post some better pics once the weather warms up.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,186 Posts
Front license plate on my current Sky was like that. It was quickly removed.

Fog light switch will probably just need to be replaced. Most likely easily found.

Gas filler door in my 2007s had a little rubber stopper inside the door. It eventually fell off and now the door closes a bit too much but I don't notice it anymore. Not sure if they kept that in the 2009

Door sill is sadly common. Easy to replace though may do it again. Some just go with aftermarket sills that light up.

Cup holder stuck inside the console may mean the screw that was added in later years to prevent this may be missing...or the cup holder is busted that way. Not sure part numbers on the parts needed to install a center cup holder but I do know it can be done.

Car looks great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As far as the KEY FOBs go, if the battery is good, then check the solder connection on the battery contact to PCB solder point. Seems like the solder connection breaks after some use. Very easy to just touch up with a soldering iron. That fixed mine when I bought my Sky.
Good luck with your new Sky, and welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
5,274 Posts
Congratulations on the find. It looks nice.

The fog light switch snaps in from the back, but that panel is easy to take out, so it isn't so bad. Check factoryoem.com for the switch, they had them the last time I looked. They also had the sill plates, but I don't remember if they were plain or had the saturn logo.

The cupholder could be broken, or may just be stuck. There is a lot of sliding going on with it, and a soft drink spill can glue it pretty tight.

I have not seen the waterfall cupholder, but haven't looked for one. I don't much care for it, so you aren't missing much in my opinion. Check ebay for cupholders, there are some guys there that sell an amazing variety of them.

The key is easy, as you can get one cut and then teach it to the car yourself, as long as you have one. The fobs are usually repairable as noted, you can also buy a switchblade style key/fob, if you want to go that route. New fobs require a programmer, and there are a couple of options for that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the kind welcome. I couldn’t resist and took the wife for a test drive this evening. Man this car has some umph! How would I know if it got the dealer option 30 hp reprogram? It’s all original as far as I can tell, no aftermarket mods on it.

I reflowed solder on the battery holders, put in fresh batteries and got one of the two fobs to work, so progress on Day 1.

As far as the front license plate holder, Colorado requires that we have one unfortunately, so I need to find some automotive strength double sided tape I suppose.

I need to start a punch list. These little things will keep me busy until the weather warms, and I don’t mind that at all. Love to tinker?!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Isn't there a front licence plate mount/bracket available? Canadian cars come with them because all of our provinces require the front plate.

·
Premium Member
5,188 Posts
I think I have one, not sure, will take a look this weekend.
California requires plates on the front, but have never been stopped in my Skpel or my FJ. I would guess over 20 years of driving on them combined. Took the one off of my Bluestone, but haven't driven it much.
Have driven all over Colorado with both cars too, never been stopped for no front license.

·
Super Moderator
5,274 Posts
Thanks all for the kind welcome. I couldn’t resist and took the wife for a test drive this evening. Man this car has some umph! How would I know if it got the dealer option 30 hp reprogram? It’s all original as far as I can tell, no aftermarket mods on it.
The GMPP (dealer) tune includes different MAP sensors that have one mounting hole instead of the two for the original sensors. Look on the intake manifold and the tube between the charge air cooler and the throttle body, there is one on each.

An aftermarket tune may or may not have the different sensors.

You can also watch your boost on the DIC. If you get over 15 psi of boost at WOT in 4th gear, you have a tune.

·
Super Moderator
11,186 Posts
I really have to quit working from memory. Try factoryoemparts.com instead.
LOL You and me both sir, you and me both.

How would I know if it got the dealer option 30 hp reprogram? It’s all original as far as I can tell, no aftermarket mods on it.

As far as the front license plate holder, Colorado requires that we have one unfortunately, so I need to find some automotive strength double sided tape I suppose.

In the above picture you will see two sensors with blue labels on them. These are the MAP sensors that come with the GMPP tune. If your sensors have these labels, chances are the car has a tune of some sort on it. You'd have to download the tune off your car and compare it to see if it is a GMPP tune or something else. Or have your dealer check it out.

As for the plate, CA requires one too and yet...yea...I don't have one on mine. Really it just depends on how big of a deal law enforcement in your area make of it and what the penalty is. Here in CA, you get a ticket and if you put a plate on and have it signed off by an officer, it's a $25 processing fee. So really, not a huge deal. However, it is a violation you can be stopped for and then if the officer wants to write you up for other things that you normally couldn't be stopped for like tinted windows, modified exhaust, too low, etc, now he has an excuse to pull you over for no front plate and go to town siting you for anything else he wants. Of course, usually the officer has to be having a REALLY bad day or your driving like a total idiot to have them do something like that.

·
Registered
171 Posts
With regards to the front license plate, this might be "overkill" but this 3M double sided tape is amazing stuff... it will firmly secure it. Don't be temped to drill holes and put screws through the font fascia, this 3M tape will do the trick...

Do some searching on the site, seems to me I remember someone who made a "hinged" plate holder that would fold down and under the bumper when you attended a car show, then flip back up while driving...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No blue labels on sensors. I've been used to driving minivans, sedans/family cars for the past 20 years, so my perception of its power is all relative.

I did notice this one section of line (highlighted with red arrow in photo) has a oily film on it, in an otherwise very clean engine compartment. Is this normal?

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well, I finally got my Sky! I've wanted one of these since they first came out, and happy to finally be an owner. I ended up buying an 09' in Evening Blue, RL, Auto, <15k miles. Arrived by transport on a cold winter day, so it may be awhile before I can drive unfortunately.

There are several things that I'll need to take care of right off, to include new fluids, new tires (still has the originals), figure out the fobs (neither work) and get a spare key (only came with one).

I few other minor things that I noticed right away:

-The front license plate bracket flops like noodle, was held with two screws on the bottom edge and double sided tape in the mid section. Is this factory and the norm? I think I'll try with some fresh tape to see if it helps.

-The fog light switch is missing its cap or end with the picture on it. The switch works otherwise. Do I need to replace the whole switch, and if so, how does it come out? Does anyone know if the missing piece screws or snaps on? That would be ideal if it did, then I could easily fix it from the front side.

-Gas filler door seems to close without cushion, and I did not see any rubber bumpers inside. Am I missing something?

-Drivers side door sill, the aluminum insert is bubbled up, so may have to replace if I can't get it to lay flat.

-Center console cup holder is jammed closed. I know these are a problem, but I thought the 09's made an improvement. Also, I'm bummed they deleted the other cup holder below the back cubby. I know the placement was awkward, but at least it was something. Any leads on the parts to put one in are greatly appreciated!

I'll be sure to post some better pics once the weather warms up.

Thanks!
welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@JohnWR - As mentioned, no blue labels on MAP sensors, but I did notice yesterday a boost reading of 19 psi. Does this mean a possible tune? I am still impressed with the power of this 4 banger every time I drive. I am at about 7,000' altitude if that changes anything.

I was looking into the various aftermarket tunes, and narrowing down to the Trifecta - Advantage (the lowest tier), and keep everything else stock for now. I'm only wanting to get it up to the 290-300 HP range. My local Chevy dealer did not know about the GMPP tune. If there's already a tune on it, that would be a waste. Anyone else in Colorado Springs, CO with a stock Redline, auto, willing to meet up and compare?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
@JohnWR - As mentioned, no blue labels on MAP sensors, but I did notice yesterday a boost reading of 19 psi. Does this mean a possible tune? I am still impressed with the power of this 4 banger every time I drive. I am at about 7,000' altitude if that changes anything.

I was looking into the various aftermarket tunes, and narrowing down to the Trifecta - Advantage (the lowest tier), and keep everything else stock for now. I'm only wanting to get it up to the 290-300 HP range. My local Chevy dealer did not know about the GMPP tune. If there's already a tune on it, that would be a waste. Anyone else in Colorado Springs, CO with a stock Redline, auto, willing to meet up and compare?
19psi is pretty high for the factory program. I would guess you have an aftermarket tune. Try finding a straight deserted road, accelerate up to about 50mph, shift into 4th gear and then put the pedal to the metal and then look at your boost gauge. With a tune you should exceed 20psi.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! I cannot be held responsible for any resulting damage to you, your car or someone else.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Understood! Will definitely give it a try. Roads around here seem to be fairly empty these days.

From what I gather, a tune without any mods and stock MAP sensors will only gain about 30 HP, is this accurate?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,188 Posts
I think the claim is 265 to 320 at the fly wheel. Could be wrong on that. But it is by far the biggest bang for the buck you will get on this car. Do that and leave it alone afterwards, you will in the long run be much happier, be more involved with your car and actually get to use it and not worry about it. It isn't near being a bad ass car any more and very little more can be done without it becoming a ticking time bomg. I know there are exceptions, I have two friends that frequent this site, and honestly have had nothing but problems with their cars. I learned my lesson, and have put a new stock engine in mine, and seriously doubt I will even do the Trifecta tune on it. No worries, make it the best/funnest car I have ever owned.

·
Registered
670 Posts
In 09 center cup holder was discontinued
I bought one from a 08 and installed it myself

1 - 20 of 21 Posts