Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 base, purchased from original owner at 27,3000 garaged and pampered miles. Red/black
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I did it, and I am beyond happy with the results (new receiver/back up cam AND upgraded shifter console).

like most folks with a second vehicle that benefits from post-2010 technology, I have wanted a better audio receiver that would provide
Android Auto (for my phone) and a back up cam because I hate the idea of backing up blind, which is pretty much what most of us have to do when we have the top up on our roadsters.

I found a local shop here in my town (Auto Outfitters, Anderson, IN) with experience in upgrading the radio in a kappa vehicle. Once the technician explained how extensive the dashboard removal would be, I realized I had the opportunity to add another upgrade long on my wish list: getting rid of the plastic-look of the "chrome" console housing my automatic shifter (which, by the way, is a whole other job to get out than is removing the manual console and one my body guy would not even attempt. He simply had told me that if I could find someone to get it out, he would repaint it).

Since my radio install meant the console could now be easily removed, I combined these projects into one two-step process: get the console removed as part of the prep for the new radio/cam installation, take it to be painted, return with the repainted console, and have the technician put all of it back together while installing the new receiver/cam.

It all came together nicely, (see the before, during, and after pics). My car's name is Red, but I now call her Red 2.0, and she says she feels 15 years younger.

Update: the unit is a Boss Elite BE7ACP 7 inch AM/FM capacitive touchscreen receiver with Bluetooth, MP3 compatible.
Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Guitar accessory Automotive design
Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper
Light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Gadget Automotive design

·
Registered
994 Posts
It looks good! The added backup camera on the radio is great. Like you said with the top up it's hard to see and get a good idea what's behind you even using your mirrors. I use my backup camera now all the time, top up or down. I also found changing the stereo also made the stock speakers sound better also at least IMO. I had planned on upgrading the speakers, but after the stereo swap I find them to sound just fine for me.

The painted console turned out great BTW. Did they also paint the cupholder cover too or is it still silver?

·
Registered
2008 base, purchased from original owner at 27,3000 garaged and pampered miles. Red/black
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks good! The added backup camera on the radio is great. Like you said with the top up it's hard to see and get a good idea what's behind you even using your mirrors. I use my backup camera now all the time, top up or down. I also found changing the stereo also made the stock speakers sound better also at least IMO. I had planned on upgrading the speakers, but after the stereo swap I find them to sound just fine for me.

The painted console turned out great BTW. Did they also paint the cupholder cover too or is it still silver?
They immobilized it and painted it red .

I was thinking the same thing about the sound.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts