Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
What exactly does the torque bar do, or put another way, what problem is this an attempt to mitigate?
Is this in any way tangentially related to driveline issues on base Sols/Skys.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If that Bar is being added to all future vehicles, it appears that the drivetrain will be beefed up considerably, which is Good!!!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
A torque arm helps to put the power down to the pavement. It helps to strengthen the rear end and keep drivetrain power loss to a minimum. The Camaros and Firebirds all had them. My Camaro had an extra heavy duty tubular adjustable torque arm for drag racing.

This should help with smoother launches like drag racing while also keeping the rear end solid under cornering.

Thanks for the pic, I thought the Kappas had torque tubes like the vettes?

·
Registered
54 Posts
It appears the bar is mounted solid to trans. and diff.. How would there be any up & down movement of diff. ?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Dah !!!! I forgot, it has independant susp. !!!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
SKYBOYONE said:
It appears the bar is mounted solid to trans. and diff.. How would there be any up & down movement of diff. ?
The rear diff will want push up a lot on acceleration and move side to side while cornering. That torque arm keeps it solid and where it should be. I wonder how much wheel hop the RedLine is going to have, the CTSV when it first came out was wheel hop city.

Check out this vid will show you how much stress the rear diff takes when you add a lot of horsepower:
http://oi.b5z.net/i/u/1473169/f/Video/kennygto989.mpg

·
Registered
77 Posts
bradyb said:
The rear diff will want push up a lot on acceleration and move side to side while cornering. That torque arm keeps it solid and where it should be. I wonder how much wheel hop the RedLine is going to have, the CTSV when it first came out was wheel hop city.

Check out this vid will show you how much stress the rear diff takes when you add a lot of horsepower:
http://oi.b5z.net/i/u/1473169/f/Video/kennygto989.mpg
Lol yeah that thing would even wheel hop going into second if you were going balls to the wall.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the bar was meant to also help with the "clunk" too.

Where did you get the torque bar pic from SkyTech, I've seen the other two before but never that one?

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
brentil said:
That's why I ask. I'm not a car tech. But if clunks and whines are somehow tied to driveline alignment, would this bar help keep things in whack.
Any chance this is a fix for future base (non turbo) cars?
I'm having trouble seeing this realistically retrofitted to existing cars, but don't know enough to know if that's a reasonable assumption. Is it?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
brentil said:

Where did you get the torque bar pic from SkyTech, I've seen the other two before but never that one?
Isn't this the same principal as traction bars on drag cars? They keep the third member from twisting when you launch hard. Which puts more to the wheels.

·
Registered
62 Posts
t bar

This diff needs a bar.I had a CTS-V. The diff couldnt stay put.
It should help somewhat. It would be interesting to know if any stick owners have tried a burn out and if indeed it hops?
I do know that energy suspension makes a urethane diff bushing kit for the Solstice. Of course, when you start to lock things up the noise increases.

·
Registered
18 Posts
as of right now there is no indication of a torque bar being used on any 2007 kappa vehicle in si2000. they do however have all the service info for the 2.0T SIDI motor.

as for the clunk noise, it is a product of the rubber driveline coupling used with the driveshaft. it is present on every manual transmission equipped sigma car, the worst being the high torque cts-v.

the biggest contributor to wheel hop on the cts-v was the rear subframe mount bushings, which could be modified with plastic inserts to stiffen them, which reduced the wheel hop considerably. the diff itself does all right behind the ls2/6, i have only ran across one that blew the front mount bushing out.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
From the solstice side.

solsticeforum/frankc5r said:
The above is a picture from the Redline forum that appears to be the new
piece that I posted about that helps put the power down. Now that it is
public, I can confirm that a torque arm is the new piece that I was told about
to help put power down. It is similar to one used on earlier Camaro cars.
With the added power of the GXP, I expect it to help alot.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20228

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
lasstss said:
This diff needs a bar.I had a CTS-V. The diff couldnt stay put.
It should help somewhat. It would be interesting to know if any stick owners have tried a burn out and if indeed it hops?
I do know that energy suspension makes a urethane diff bushing kit for the Solstice. Of course, when you start to lock things up the noise increases.
Go to thread of LSD MONSTER......Skip....:)

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
Torque bar came loose on my trans am, was only a matter of days before the trans mount snapped. Nothing like having your transmission wobble around under your car. They probably decided to add the torque bar after some testing.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
fyi/fwiw

solsticeforum/EcoBoost said:
As I understand, this will be on all new Solstice and Sky, not just GXP and Redline.

It's a tad different from the older Camaro arrangement in that those cars used a live axle and the 'torque arm' pivoted
with the axle, attached to the transmission with a bushing that allowed this radial movement.

It's doubtful that this will retrofit effectively to exising Sol's, for the mounting accomodations needed to attach the
new member to the the differential and transmission will not be there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nimisys said:
as of right now there is no indication of a torque bar being used on any 2007 kappa vehicle in si2000. they do however have all the service info for the 2.0T SIDI motor.

as for the clunk noise, it is a product of the rubber driveline coupling used with the driveshaft. it is present on every manual transmission equipped sigma car, the worst being the high torque cts-v.

the biggest contributor to wheel hop on the cts-v was the rear subframe mount bushings, which could be modified with plastic inserts to stiffen them, which reduced the wheel hop considerably. the diff itself does all right behind the ls2/6, i have only ran across one that blew the front mount bushing out.
Not really, I was on diff #3 at 6500 miles. Due to whine on #1, pinion failure on #2.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts