Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning gents!

In all likelihood I'm buying a Redline this weekend with more than 70,000 miles on it. I'm told absolutely no modifications have been made to it.

What maintenance items should I tackle first?
I'm thinking: transmission flush, differential flush, fuel filter replacement, and spark plug replacement. Anything else?

What are recommended modifications for the Redline? I want to do a stage 3, but am uncertain of which kit to get. I am thinking of installing coilovers as well.

Any other items I should be paying attention to?

·
Premium Member
5,307 Posts
There should be a post by Rob the Elder on what to check before buying. I would find that if you can. Check to see if the water pump has been replaced. That seems to be a normal failure on the Redline. Mine did not fail, but replaced at 36K. But then blew my engine apart due to a screwed up kit I bought. Have a new engine in mine and will never modify it for any reason. They have plenty of HP for what they were designed for. They are not drag cars.

Get the car and drive it for a month. You maybe pouring money into a pit or you may have a really nice car. No way of telling until you actually drive it.

Most on here will tell you the bracing is far more important than performance mods. For me it has way too many miles to be uping the turbo power. But that is just me. Good luck.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The coolant, power steering fluid, oil and brake fluid. Basically all the fluids. It‘s good advice to just drive it a bit before swapping out parts.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
In all likelihood I'm buying a Redline this weekend with more than 70,000 miles on it. I'm told absolutely no modifications have been made to it. A) I hope it works out for you.

I'm thinking: transmission flush, differential flush, fuel filter replacement, and spark plug replacement. Anything else? A) Did you run a CarFax on the car yet? If you need one let me know. This should tell how much or little maintenance was done as long as the shop reports to CarFax.

What are recommended modifications for the Redline? I want to do a stage 3, but am uncertain of which kit to get. I am thinking of installing coilovers as well. A) Give Martin Scott a call at RPM-Motorsports . I believe that Martin will be able to advise you on what mods to do with that kind of mileage. If you do a search for coilovers I am sure you will find plenty of threads on them. Good luck with your new purchase

·
Super Moderator
5,930 Posts
Good morning gents!

In all likelihood I'm buying a Redline this weekend with more than 70,000 miles on it. I'm told absolutely no modifications have been made to it.

I'm thinking: transmission flush, differential flush, fuel filter replacement, and spark plug replacement. Anything else?

What are recommended modifications for the Redline? I want to do a stage 3, but am uncertain of which kit to get. I am thinking of installing coilovers as well.

Any other items I should be paying attention to?
Here is the checklist that has been mentioned: Kappa checklist for review and comment

Have you driven a Redline? If not, you have already seen the best advice:
Drive the car before you start changing things.

What is your goal for installing coilovers? By the way, the stock suspension is coilover. You can lower the car, but it will be difficult in some areas to avoid bottoming out and scraping the bottom of the nose. You can also stiffen the car, but you may find that it is actually slower after you do.

You can certainly add power, and some people consider it mandatory while others don't. You can also add it reliably, or you can create an unreliable mess.

The one thing I recommend without reservation is the DDM ProBeam. It stabilizes the rear of the car without adding a single undesirable characteristic.

Also, check the tires for age, wear, and quality. Good tires are the basis for everything else.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The input from you all has been amazing. does anyone happen to know why some Saturn Sky's have dual rectangular exhausts?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The redline has dual exhaust. Stock with the 2.0 Turbo. The non-redline 2.4 has a single exhaust.
I've noticed some redlines have rectangular exhaust tips, while others have circular ones. Any idea why one might have one or the other?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm only guessing that the stock rectangular tips were changed out for aftermarket circular tips. I can't honestly say I have seen circular stock tips. Could be stock but I really don't know.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to know! The one I just test drove had the rectangular ones (which I want). Just wanted to be sure. Thank you!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Only the replacement aftermarket systems came round. Totally stock they are all square.
the only exception may be the GMPP exhaust, that was dealer installed.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Reactions: squilliam

·
Super Moderator
5,930 Posts
The Solstice has circular tips from stock.

My 2.4 briefly had circular tips when the first turbo exhaust that I installed came from a GXP. It now has the dual-outlet RedLine exhaust.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just bought one with 112,000 on it. It had air in the cooling system and the plugs were fouled, causing misfires and flashing CELs. New plugs and burping the system and it seems to run really good now. I'm going to change the trans fluid ( it's an automatic) and flush the brake fluid next. It came with brand new Pep Boys cheapo tires, but they seem to work pretty good. They're Definity HP200's. I'm going to let them wear out for awhile.

I bought this car to commute in. I was driving to work in my Trailblazer SS until it got stolen. That was costing me 400.00 a month in gas. This one oughta drop that to 200 or less. The info center says it's getting 24 mpg average. TBSS got 10. I kinda doubt the previous owner romped on it much, so my average mpg is likely to be lower.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts