Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the talk on horse power, has anyone considered putting different rubber to the road. The concept sits atop Goodyears, which in my experience have been a good handling tire. Just curious if anyone will switch out to something higher end.. BFGoodrich, Yoko's and what have you.

To take advantage of all the stickies that come with the twisties...

·
Registered
148 Posts
geerhed said:
Cant beat Kuhmo ECSTA V710.. great autocross/street tire -provided there is no rain.
I'm all sell to Toyo!

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
The Concept Solstice and Sky use Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires;
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+GS-D3&partnum=445WR8F1GSD3XL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes

These are high performance summer only tires (in other words you're not supposed to use them on snow at all). These tires supposedly have phenominal wet/dry traction. I'm betting just moving to those tires alone will get some extra points on the lateral G's.

Personally I plan on buying a set of 17" light weight rims and putting those tires on them to go to the track with my Solstice.

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
I will be upgrading to new wheels and tires. Been told that 19"x10" wheels will fit inside the stock wheel wells. This would allow me to run Mich. Pilots either straight rubber or run-flats with 275x35 tires.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
sky_vue said:
Your solstice, are you getting both (insert envy here if answer is yes)

Sky_vue
No, I'm just getting the Solstice. I'm just a moderator of both sites, so I stay kind of active over here. No where's near the level as I do over at the Solstice forum though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Delnari said:
I will be upgrading to new wheels and tires. Been told that 19"x10" wheels will fit inside the stock wheel wells. This would allow me to run Mich. Pilots either straight rubber or run-flats with 275x35 tires.
I'm surprised that 19" x 10" wheels will fit--that's 2 inches wider than the stock rims. Did you get that info. from Mallet? Also, is it then reasonable to assume that you could fit 295's which are also about 2 inches wider than the stock 245's?

·
Registered
242 Posts
goodyear

I'll just keep the same tires...can't go wrong here in the south....not much snow, if any...no cause to change

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
101jinx101 said:
Stock rims are 18's, not 17's...
Are you commenting to my post above, since I'm the only one that's mentioned 17" rims? If so, yeah I know the stock are 18" rims (I hope I'd know by now with over 4000 total posts across both sites now :D). I don't want larger heavier rims with greater rotational inertia. I want lighter rims with a smaller diameter so that the center of mass is closer to the hub of the wheel. Going to a smaller diameter rim can decrease the overall weight and decreasing the rotational inertia of the rim making it easier to rotate. In essence it takes less to make the wheels go round. Just because the stock wheels are 18" doesn't mean I can't get smaller rims on there. As long as it clears all the componenets it'll be fine. We've also determined these are more then likely the rotors from the Cobalt SS/Malibu MAXX and we know 17" rims fit on those.

Sometimes though like in Delnari's case you want bigger/wider wheels. When you're developing as much power as his car's going to, you need a bigger contact patch to deliver power with.

Unless you're upgrading your rims to a larger/wider size for a very specific reason all you're doing is messing up the handling characteristics of the vehicle you're putting them on. You're also increasing the amount of power required to rotate the wheels so you're detracting from performance as well.

·
Registered
245 Posts
actually I was referring to this post:

I'm surprised that 19" x 10" wheels will fit--that's 2 inches wider than the stock rims. Did you get that info. from Mallet? Also, is it then reasonable to assume that you could fit 295's which are also about 2 inches wider than the stock 245's?
but now that i've re-read it, i see that it's WIDER, not necisarily bigger. :) but thanks for the science lesson :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would probably stick with 17" or 18" rims - but if I could install the C6 corvette rims and tires on the sky without much effort and $$ I would do that - it would look HOT- anyone have the ability to show everyone what that would look like using photoshop or other program? just to confirm my opinion?

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
A warning to those not very well versed on the Corvette wheels. I believe along with being different sizes front and back, the wheels are also directional [the tire tread]. Meaning you can't swap the left wheel with the right wheel. So you can't rotate your tires at all on a daily driver type car that had these types of rims/wheels on them. It's just another thing to factor into cost when building a car liek this you plan to use as your daily driver.

The directional part might be incorrect, Delnari seems versed on Corvettes though and would be able to correct me if that's wrong.

·
Registered
20 Posts
radtech said:
295s might stick out past the fendors. but you'll have to confirm that with Delnari as he seems to have an inside source.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sorry for the late post. The 275x35x19 wheels/tires are being made one-off by Mallett Cars. They are not simply Corvette wheels being put on as the offsets would probably not match. He is also planning on a 345x30x19 rear wheels/tires package, but the front package would be good enough for most of us at all 4 corners.

Personally, if I was running the stock engine with minor upgrades that I would downsize to 265x50x16 wheels/tires. You can reduce 50 plus pounds and get a little better low-end torque response with these very slight smaller tires; .3 inches in diameter. You would also reduce the turning radius for better turn-in on the track or autocross course.

·
Registered
554 Posts
PaulWall said:
295s might stick out past the fendors. but you'll have to confirm that with Delnari as he seems to have an inside source.
295 tires would change the vehicle stance and lose the factory suspension setup. I would not consider upsizing unless you put more than 300 hp to the wheels. The 345 rears being planned for the upcoming showcar is being powered by more than 700 whp! The drive axles are special length to allow for suspension travel of these larger tires. Go with the 275x35x19 for looks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree, 275 or 285 rears are the best option for the sky if you have less than 400 hp to the rear wheels.. 345 is just rediculous - they might be needed for a 700 hp car, but not for anything else. I would like to know how much it would cost a Mallett customer to upgrade to 345 rear tires - I'm talking about everything from body mods, suspension mods, rims and tires. I bet you it would be a $3k+ option AT LEAST! too much money for an extra 2-3" of rubber on the road.. [email protected]#$%

·
Registered
20 Posts
Delnari said:
Go with the 275x35x19 for looks.
hmmm...so you'll have 245x45x18 up front & 275x35x19 at the rear?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts