Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this car yesterday mostly to teach my wife how to drive a manual. It’s a pretty cool car for the price though. It needs some tlc but it’s overall in nice shape.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My car’s twin :)

mind posting mileage and how muchyou paid

mine is an 08 redline just like yours (color) and had 111,000 miles and I bought it for $5500

·
Registered
102 Posts
Only difference is mine is a redline and has the rear spoiler

congrats you’ll love how it handles !!

Oh I see your title says yours is a redline. - maybe a different year than mine because mine says turbo on the back bumper where yours says sky

The redline is turbo 2.0 liter snd the base model is a 2.4 liter -

·
Registered
449 Posts
Congratulations, enjoy!
You're looking at a Redline there, too! ;-)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Good for you. Welcome to the owners club & forum.

"to teach my wife how.... to drive a manual." Hmmm
Well depending on how much usage the previous owner did
teaching his... wife how to drive a manual too you might want to
check on new clutch, pressure plate prices just say'n.

Looks good. There are things to look for on our gem.
The search feature will help with some owner questions
you might have- but if you run into trouble with something
ask away- lot of knowledge here by many forum members.

Be prepared for the attention factor this car might bring to disrupt
your teaching of the wife, as she power shifts up through
the gear changes like Louis Hamilton would might cause- IT will
happen on any given day. Gas fill ups. Stop lights. Parking lot or
the odd neighbor who has noticed something new- well sort of
new looking to them in your drive way. Co-workers will think
you or the wife have gotten a big raise somehow to afford this
sharp sports car you now own.

After things settle over the new excitement for you two will be
the road trip adventure- day long cruise, the weekend get way to
the B&B location of her choice, the smile that will be upon your
faces- what we owners call permagrin here. It can make you both
feel and look younger too just say'n. Your wife just went- wait what?
Younger I'm all in on that line of thinking. One of our other newest
members just had this same experience. After their first real test
drive together- her words here, " We're never getting rid of this thing".
First impressions do matter when the wife is involved but you don't
have to go on my advice here.

Stay safe among the masses out there. This car sits low, and sometimes
can not be seen by other drivers in their mirrors. You can scrape the nose
looks like that has happened all ready in one of your photos. Happens.
Enjoy the smiles for miles- it can be addicting not that I would know
anything about that. And I film my adventures too.. for You-Tube.

LAC

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My car’s twin :)

mind posting mileage and how muchyou paid

mine is an 08 redline just like yours (color) and had 111,000 miles and I bought it for $5500

congrats you’ll love how it handles !!

Oh I see your title says yours is a redline. - maybe a different year than mine because mine says turbo on the back bumper where yours says sky

The redline is turbo 2.0 liter snd the base model is a 2.4 liter -
This is a redline, it says Turbo there also, just not a great picture. It has 142,000 miles and it cost me $4400. Its in pretty decent shape overall. It really needs a good wash/clay/cut/polish/wax. There is a dent on the hood and another on the trunk lid creases that won't be fixable, but it will be a solid 10 yard car.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I like your excuse..."to teach my wife how to drive a manual". But no one really believed me when I told them it was my wifes car. But she really did find it and buy it. Ming Blue, just like yours, but Auto.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good for you. Welcome to the owners club & forum.

"to teach my wife how.... to drive a manual." Hmmm
Well depending on how much usage the previous owner did
teaching his... wife how to drive a manual too you might want to
check on new clutch, pressure plate prices just say'n.

Looks good. There are things to look for on our gem.
The search feature will help with some owner questions
you might have- but if you run into trouble with something
ask away- lot of knowledge here by many forum members.

Be prepared for the attention factor this car might bring to disrupt
your teaching of the wife, as she power shifts up through
the gear changes like Louis Hamilton would might cause- IT will
happen on any given day. Gas fill ups. Stop lights. Parking lot or
the odd neighbor who has noticed something new- well sort of
new looking to them in your drive way. Co-workers will think
you or the wife have gotten a big raise somehow to afford this
sharp sports car you now own.

After things settle over the new excitement for you two will be
the road trip adventure- day long cruise, the weekend get way to
the B&B location of her choice, the smile that will be upon your
faces- what we owners call permagrin here. It can make you both
feel and look younger too just say'n. Your wife just went- wait what?
Younger I'm all in on that line of thinking. One of our other newest
members just had this same experience. After their first real test
drive together- her words here, " We're never getting rid of this thing".
First impressions do matter when the wife is involved but you don't
have to go on my advice here.

Stay safe among the masses out there. This car sits low, and sometimes
can not be seen by other drivers in their mirrors. You can scrape the nose
looks like that has happened all ready in one of your photos. Happens.
Enjoy the smiles for miles- it can be addicting not that I would know
anything about that. And I film my adventures too.. for You-Tube.

LAC
The biggest reason I got this was because last Friday I got this (2021 Lotus Evora GT). Drove it from Seattle to Boise, fun times!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looking better after a wash, still badly needs a proper clay/cut/polish/wax

It’s not without its problems…

-

-

0304/2178 also pending are the other 2 codes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have almost no maintenance records on this car, outside of what I can find on AutoCheck and Carfax, as well as knowledge from the previous owner that the water pump has been done. There was no oil change sticker so I went ahead and took it in to get it changed and just get the cursory free inspection at the dealer.

$38 later I have new oil and there are no real issues beyond the codes I already pulled, front brakes are close to shot which is not surprising. I ordered up the Cobalt SS Brembo front BBK from ZZPerformance here: Kappa 12.25" Front Big Brake Kit

This should be a nice upgrade (yes, I plan to track the car)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The three codes from the post above I believe are all related. I have read just about every thread on the 2178/2188 code, the recommendations for HPFP, boost leak from couplers, etc. I have had other turbo cars in the past (mostly SR20DET powered 240SX's back in the day) and have dealt with boost leak issues as well.

Because I had the misfire code, and did not have much maintenance history on this car, I figured I would do the plugs for good measure, clear the codes and go from there. Plugs replaced with no issue, this little guide was helpful: Replacing Redline Spark Plugs (visual noob walkthrough)

I have seen worse plugs, but they have definitely seen some miles, and are the older part # (has since been replaced by a new P/N for the 41-108)

Fired right up after new plugs, cleared the codes and on a quick test drive she is no longer limited to 9psi. So far so good.

When I did the plugs, I found a birds nest under the engine cover and a pair of matco pliers on the valve cover under the thermal insulator beneath the engine cover. Also, the first time my wife drove it, I saw a dead mouse fall out of the back bumper. I assume that this car was parked in a barn and maybe sat for a while.

We put fresh premium gas in it and I am looking forward to running through all of the (potentially old) gas. My wife is driving it daily during the week in order to learn how to drive a manual, so we will see at the end of the week whether or not the codes come back (or are at least pending).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I am about 90% sure that this 2178 code will come back, I have never been lucky enough for simple fixes to solve complex problems. While i wait for the codes to come back, I started to do a bit more checking.

I also have the MAF code, so I checked to see if this car (factory intake) has a K&N or other oiled filter. No such luck, paper aftermarket air filter that appears to have been replaced recently. I am not going to replace the MAF just yet, it will be a last resort.

I think the most likely cause is a boost leak or the HPFP as many have run into. I had noticed that the bottom of the bumper had some decent scrapes, so I was worried the intercooler might have some damage. I didn't want to pull the whole bumper just to look so I yanked the plastic air dam and used my phone the best I could to get a look at the intercooler. It definitely took a hit at some point. I have seen plenty of beat to hell intercoolers that still held air, so I am unsure whether or not this is potentially a source of the issue.

-

In any case, its hard to rule out, and I can't really inspect the sides where these intercoolers commonly start to split, and I would rather upgrade the intercooler to prepare for future mods rather than start with a HPFP. I ordered up a Werks Intercooler from turbokits.com (best price I could find) as a suitable replacement.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well, wife drove the car every day this week and unsurprisingly, CEL is back and P2178 is both stored/pended.

This saga will likely be similar to many of the P2188 sagas well documented on the forum. I ordered up just about everything to replace that can be causing my problems:
  • Wideband O2 Sensor (Bosch OE P/N 15388) - $86 from CarID
  • Downstream from Cat narrowband O2 sensor (Bosch OE P/N 15699) - $28 from eBay
  • MAF Sensor (AC Delco OE P/N 213-4222) - $36 from eBay
  • EVAP Purge Solenoid - unlikely the issue but I also have a big of a rough idle when cold so worth a shot (GM OE P/N 12592015) - $19 from eBay
  • SOLO High Flow Cat - This is a no regrets supporting mod, and at 140K+ miles the stock cat will proably roast my new O2 Sensors anyway.
I also ordered up an HPFP in a roundabout way... attached to an LDK long block :D. LDK should come in handy once I undoubtedly blow this nearly 150K mile motor with an aggressive tune. For now I will cannibalize it for the HPFP.

Im still waiting on the Werks intercooler. I am toying with the idea of adding the werks IC piping just so I can do it all at once. I know it can improve flow at high RPM.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I did some small maintenance items today that were annoying me.

1: For some reason, the drivers side headlight was only bolted on with 1 screw. The other 2 tabs on the headlight were undamaged, just missing screws. I ordered up to new OE ones from GM:

If it helps anybody, this is what you need to order for fastening headlights to the underside of the hood:

Part Number Part Name Price Quantity Total
11588544 Bumper Cover Fastener $7.79 2 $15.58

These were easy to install with a T-30 screwdriver that I happened to have.

2: The hood struts were shot so I ordered up a new pair. These are REALLY easy to replace. You can easily do it by yourself. I wedged a pipe between the upper and lower parts of the hinge for extra safety, but you can do it without it. Just push your shoulder up into the top of the hood. To get the old ones off, take a small flat head screw driver and pry up on the retainer clip on each end of the strut. You do not need to remove the clip, just pry it back while pulling on the strut and it will pop off.

You can see how to pry it in the pics below:

To put the new strut on, just push each end on (no need to pry the clip).

Now the hood stays up!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts