Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I ended up purchasing the ATOTO SA102 starter HU today. It was super cheap ($145 on Amazon) and has native carplay which is primarily what it will be used for. It has positive reviews overall, as well as ATOTO it's self, and it will be a good test HU to add the BT and the backup camera and also see sound quality. I of course also purchased the Axxess SWC, Axxess GMOS-LAN-04 wiring interface, antenna adapter, and the Metra double din adapter in silver (another $150 on Amazon). I went with the silver because it looks like it's already painted and that should take the gloss black paint I'm going to do better than the textured black one. I'm going to try and do the install this weekend and I will report back on the results. It's not the factory look I wanted, but I've seen enough aftermarket HU's now that the look has grown on me.

·
Super Moderator
6,258 Posts
I have the Atoto A6 in one of mine, and really like it. I did not need a steering wheel controls adaptor.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have the Atoto A6 in one of mine, and really like it. I did not need a steering wheel controls adaptor.
Actually John, when you posted a few months back about having the Atoto is when I started looking into them. I finally stumbled across the SA102 and decided I didn't really want or need all of the features the A6 had so I went with the SA102 as it's really just a car stereo vs a tablet. However, all of the reviews of the Atoto brand overall made me feel a lot more confident to give it a shot vs dropping 4 or 5 times the price on a high end brand that I didn't really like the way it looked or performed.

I did see it was compatible with SWC, but I wasn't sure if it came with any kind of interface or adapter so I picked up the Axxess ASWC-1. If I don't need it then cool, I can always return it to Amazon.

·
Super Moderator
6,258 Posts
Mine (the A6) has the analog input that connects directly to the wires from the switches.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
My Amazon order came today, I sanded and primed the bezel for paint. I decided to go with a black lacquer to match the center piano black. I did a test piece yesterday and it looks like it’s going to be almost an exact match. While that dries, I prewired the Axxess interface to the Atoto wiring harness. Pretty self explanatory and straight forward. I haven’t hooked up the ASWC-1 yet taking John’s comment into consideration.
Mine (the A6) has the analog input that connects directly to the wires from the switches.
I’m not 100% sure how to hook up the SWC’s without it though. The Atoto harness does have SWC wires and an aux style SWC connection. Do I need to splice the factory harness or is there a way to do this with the Axxess interface?

I went ahead wired up and tested the new HU, and everything that I hooked up works surprisingly well. The system is responsive and even has an option to select the Saturn logo as the boot up screen. BT music works well from my phone (without CarPlay) testing Pandora, Sirius, and Apple Music apps. The HU reads out the music information and I can pause/play and skip tracts. The phone’s volume does need to be turned all the way up though. BT calls work and it imports my contacts. Radio also works well with very little feedback, even in the garage and with a shorty style antenna. Radio reads out the station and musician instrument too. Audio output is decent and I would say is better than the stock unit and works with my Monsoon system. Carplay is great and is really what I was after. I still haven’t figured out where to route the usb for this though. The HU is very simple and that’s ok, as that’s really all I wanted and I hope that means less to go wrong. I haven’t tested the backup camera as that install will be tomorrow and I still can’t seem to figure out how to get the button illumination to match the amber of the factory buttons. It seems to have an option for all the other colors, but no orange. Overall first impressions I’m impressed this unit.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Thanks for the update! How quickly does it boot and turn on to the reversing camera image - like when you start the car and want to back out of a parking space?

On a related note, when I looked at the link posted earlier, it says the operating system was Linux. Is that correct, it's not a native Android device? Or was that a typo and you can download apps from Google Play store?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks for the update! How quickly does it boot and turn on to the reversing camera image - like when you start the car and want to back out of a parking space?

On a related note, when I looked at the link posted earlier, it says the operating system was Linux. Is that correct, it's not a native Android device? Or was that a typo and you can download apps from Google Play store?
I completed the backup camera install today. The boot time is actually comparable to my stock 2015 Silverado, it's about 5-6 seconds. Reverse camera works instantly after engaging into gear and turns off instantaneous out of gear. I've done this several times and it seems be very responsive with no lag each time. I picked up a cheap BOYO VTB192 backup camera off amazon for under $10 a while back. It works, but the camera's picture quality could be better and I'm not thrilled with the appearance of it on the back of the car. I may go to a license plate frame or come up with some way to incorporate into the license plate light to clean up the appearance. As far as the operating system, I'm not sure, but it most likely is open source Linux. The HU is very responsive and does everything you would expect a stereo from a comparable Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood to do. That being said you can't download any additional apps from the Google Play store. If that's a feature you would like there is the Atoto A6 or S8. I didn't want all of those features and really just wanted a car stereo with the integral carplay feature without an additional dongle, so I went with this unit. Install is basically done, I still need to figure out where to route the usb for the carplay hook up. I'm thinking I will probably run it to the center console and have it pop out under my saddlebags since that is where I usually keep my phone while driving anyway. I still don't have working SWC's so I need to figure that out too before buttoning everything back up. The good news is I'm still not ready to anyway as I'm still painting the bezel. I wanted to let the primer dry at least 24-48 hours before painting. So I will sand the primer tomorrow afternoon and then spray it with the black lacquer and then I'm going to wait again for that to dry. So it will probably later this week before everything is all cleaned back up.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Thanks for the response Steve. So, @JohnWR, yours is a native Android device? Asking you the same question... How quickly does it boot and turn on to the reversing camera image - like when you start the car and want to back out of a parking space?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
@TomatoSoup, There is actually a ton of info and reviews out there on the Atoto A6 Pro HU and it's overall very well received. In fact, there is so much out there, it will make your head spin. The A6 link from Atoto's website is below.
From the Atoto's website on the A6 pro;
  • System Version: ATOTO AICE OS 9.4, which is developed & customized based on Android 6.0 Marshmallow OS;

ATOTO Android Car Stereo Entertaiment system - SHENZHEN AOTULE ELECTRONICS TECH CO.,LTD
However, there isn't too many reviews on the HU I purchased and it appears Atoto has already gone through a model update (from "classic" to "starter") so for those interested, this is the only youtube video so far that I have come across that has the updated model as I purchased.

·
Super Moderator
6,258 Posts
Thanks for the response Steve. So, @JohnWR, yours is a native Android device? Asking you the same question... How quickly does it boot and turn on to the reversing camera image - like when you start the car and want to back out of a parking space?
The A6 is native Android. I have only added Torque, but it was a typical Android app experience.

Atoto has an interesting power-down process in which the radio goes into a low-power mode for (I think) five days, after which it shuts down completely. According to Atoto this process has been extensively tested and is "reliable enough". If the car is powered within the five days, the radio starts instantaneously. After the five days it takes (I think) under a minute to boot, or about the length of time I let mine idle before I move it. Mine usually gets driven more frequently than five days, so i have rarely seen the boot process, but will probably see it tomorrow and I will pay attemtion and time it. (Just for you!)

I agree with Atoto that their process is reliable enough, and I have not had any battery depletion issues with the radio. Overall I am really happy with it except that the music player app they supplied sucks, just not quite badly enough that i have replaced it yet.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The A6 is native Android. I have only added Torque, but it was a typical Android app experience.

Atoto has an interesting power-down process in which the radio goes into a low-power mode for (I think) five days, after which it shuts down completely. According to Atoto this process has been extensively tested and is "reliable enough". If the car is powered within the five days, the radio starts instantaneously. After the five days it takes (I think) under a minute to boot, or about the length of time I let mine idle before I move it. Mine usually gets driven more frequently than five days, so i have rarely seen the boot process, but will probably see it tomorrow and I will pay attemtion and time it. (Just for you!)

I agree with Atoto that their process is reliable enough, and I have not had any battery depletion issues with the radio. Overall I am really happy with it except that the music player app they supplied sucks, just not quite badly enough that i have replaced it yet.
The boot time and standby mode was of somewhat importance to me in my decision. I had read about the android units possibly draining the battery trying to keep the system in stand by mode and then having slow cold boots after sitting for several days. Since I only drive the Sky maybe once or twice a month I didn't want come out to a dead battery. Although I can't think of an instance where I would have a need to start and go in under a minute, it would still be an annoyance. With that in mind I was intrigued by the SA102 unit as it didn't have the same interface or all of the other extras that go with the A6. I'm glad I did, the boot time has been reliably under 5 seconds every time. That includes disconnecting the HU multiple times while working on getting everything wired up, and from a cold boot to warm boot, the boot time is almost identical. I'm hoping that means the unit doesn't retain a standby mode as it has much less memory to boot up each time so there is really no need. I guess I will need to put a meter on the battery and see what the amps read sitting with and without the battery connected overnight and confirm.

Also @JohnWR, any help on getting the SWC's to work? I remember reading you made your own harness for your unit. I used the the Axxess GMOS-LAN-04 to take the guess work out on mine and although it did exactly everything I wanted it to do, the SWC's still have no functionality using the 3.5mm jack. I'm guessing I need to splice onto the factory wires directly and then set the controls via the Atoto setup screen. Which wires on the factory pigtails are the SWC?

·
Super Moderator
6,258 Posts
I tried to download the SA102 installation documents from Atoto, but it appears they only allow that for people who have purchased the applicable device. Can you post the connection diagrams/instructions?

Edit: This is the post with my connection sheet: Aftermarket Double DIN Head Unit

Connector X1 Pin 14 and X2 Pin 11 are the SWC wires, with the resistor bridge between them. The OEM radio sends 10V out through X1-14 and reads the signal with X2-11. The A6 does something similar except between the signal wire and ground. I grounded X1-14, and X2-11 provided the signal needed.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
I tried to download the SA102 installation documents from Atoto, but it appears they only allow that for people who have purchased the applicable device. Can you post the connection diagrams/instructions?

Edit: This is the post with my connection sheet: Aftermarket Double DIN Head Unit

Connector X1 Pin 14 and X2 Pin 11 are the SWC wires, with the resistor bridge between them. The OEM radio sends 10V out through X1-14 and reads the signal with X2-11. The A6 does something similar except between the signal wire and ground. I grounded X1-14, and X2-11 provided the signal needed.
Here’s a shot of the wiring diagram in the manual.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Hmm... that shows TWO "steering wheel key (+)" pins.

·
Super Moderator
6,258 Posts
#2 is actually the "steering wheel key#(+)" vs #12 is "steering wheel key(+)". What's the difference? I don't know besides the "#" symbol.
@JohnWR are these the right harness schematics?
Those diagrams are correct except that they differ from mine in the identification of the connectors. My service manual shows your C1 to be X2 and your C2 to be X1. Otherwise they are the same.

@TomatoSoup : The instructions I have from Atoto say to connect one of the car's SWC wires to ground and the other one to one or the other of the radio's SWC wires, and to leave the other unterminated. I do not know if they are configured differently, but the first one I tried worked and so I ignored the other one.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Those diagrams are correct except that they differ from mine in the identification of the connectors. My service manual shows your C1 to be X2 and your C2 to be X1. Otherwise they are the same.

@TomatoSoup : The instructions I have from Atoto say to connect one of the car's SWC wires to ground and the other one to one or the other of the radio's SWC wires, and to leave the other unterminated. I do not know if they are configured differently, but the first one I tried worked and so I ignored the other one.
I pulled them from an HHR service manual I found online since I don't have a Sky/Solstice one handy at the moment. I tried grounding X1-14, and used X2-11 to provide the signal to the steering wheel control wire. That didn’t seem to work. Also tried connecting each wire to the Atoto wires. I’ll try som more variants. I’m sure something will work eventually. I guess it’s possible the Axxess harness could be throwing something off. Here is the Atoto SWC wiring instructions for reference.

·
Super Moderator
6,258 Posts
I pulled them from an HHR service manual I found online since I don't have a Sky/Solstice one handy at the moment. I tried grounding X1-14, and used X2-11 to provide the signal to the steering wheel control wire. That didn’t seem to work. Also tried connecting each wire to the Atoto wires. I’ll try som more variants. I’m sure something will work eventually. I guess it’s possible the Axxess harness could be throwing something off. Here is the Atoto SWC wiring instructions for reference.
If you have an adapter plugged into the SWC jack (#11 in the post 35 diagram) that could be confusing the radio. My A6 did not require any adapter to make the SWCs function.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts