Saturn Sky Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I do like that that manual is in real honest to goodness readable English!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
If you have an adapter plugged into the SWC jack (#11 in the post 35 diagram) that could be confusing the radio. My A6 did not require any adapter to make the SWCs function.
Yes, The pigtails are plugged into the Axxess-GMOS-LAN-04 harness that the rest of the HU is wired too. The harness does have dedicated wires that run from X1-14 and X2-11. The harness is designed to be used with the Axxess- ASWC1, but since I've decided not to use it I'm think thinking I will cut the wires on the harness as they possibly could be grounding out somewhere else on the harness. Since X1-14 and X2-11 are only used for the SWC's I don't think this would cause any issues with the rest of harness.
I do like that that manual is in real honest to goodness readable English!
Other than the word "firstly", which I don't think I have ever heard a native speaker use, the manual is very legible. There are some quirks though that I have ran into like programming radio station favorites. From what I can tell, you can't. Instead you scan all stations and the HU saves each station that has a signal and you can select these from the list.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Other than the word "firstly", which I don't think I have ever heard a native speaker use,
Hmm, well I have. But then I was brought up in England, so maybe it was written by a 'true' English-speaker :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Update on the SWC: After trying multiple iterations of wiring combinations to make them work, nothing seemed to. I confirmed via multimeter that the resistance of each button was correct at the pigtail pin X2-11 and traced it also down the harness. I looked up some information online about wiring the Atoto unit via the ASWC-1 harness and decided to give it a go since I had tried everything else and I had purchased it anyway. After following some instructions from the XDA-developer forum I was actually able to program the harness and get the HU to respond by selecting what SWC button did what. However, I couldn't seem to get the mute button to respond. I again tried to reprogram the ASWC-1 harness, but now following the same steps as earlier I am no longer able to get any buttons to respond at the HU. So I'm back to where I was before. Knowing that both the HU and the harness do work, I'm assuming that I may just be skipping a step I did earlier and will probably try this a again a few more tries. I'm feeling confidant I will be able to get this squared away now and hopefully I can shift my focus to getting the paint finished on the bezel.

Paintwork has had it's own issues as well so it will be nice to focus on one thing at a time. I also think I solved my CarPlay USB issue, I just purchased another airbag/traction control trim piece so that I can drill a new port for the CarPlay USB access. I didn't want to screw up mine incase for whatever reason I wanted to take it back to stock again one day.

Edit: After sitting back down to reprogram the harness the SWC buttons all now work.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Well it’s been about a week, between my work schedule and my back issues again, I haven’t had a chance to finish this up. I decided on vinyl wrapping the bezel instead of painting since I couldn’t get the finish how I wanted. Went to install back the trim and dash today and........the battery is dead.

Somehow either the new HU or the harness drained it dry in about a week. Now before you ask, the battery was replaced in May. It’s below 2 amps so neither my trickle charger or my jumping seem to do anything. The battery has a full warranty so it should be an even swap at Autozone, but changing batteries is never fun on our cars. Regardless I’m super disappointed by this.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
I was able to get the battery to charge on the trickle charger over night. It’s now holding 12.5v steady. Disconnected everything and it looks like the Axxess interface is pulling 4v at each speaker wire with the key off. Any ideas? Bad interface? Interface removed the factory pigtail speaker pins only have a slight resistance.

Also: it looks like with the battery dying, I lost my TPMS and my remote fobs are no longer programmed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anyone actually tried one of the Xtrons units linked to in the original post? I've been looking at them and the manufacturer does not list our cars as one of the compatible models. Some of the units it does replace in the Sierra, Yukons, etc look exactly like ours, except with a matte black face. I'm worried that if I get one, even though it fits physically something with the electrical/canbus will be totally incompatible.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Has anyone actually tried one of the Xtrons units linked to in the original post? I've been looking at them and the manufacturer does not list our cars as one of the compatible models. Some of the units it does replace in the Sierra, Yukons, etc look exactly like ours, except with a matte black face. I'm worried that if I get one, even though it fits physically something with the electrical/canbus will be totally incompatible.
I was originally looking at them for the bezel free install. Supposedly they do work with the HHR according to Xtrons. From what I researched the HHR has the same canbus and pigtails to ours. In hindsight with the issues I’ve had with the bezel and the harness, maybe I should of just went with the Xtrons unit. If you do go with an Xtrons unit, please share your experience.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I replaced the Axxess interface yesterday and so far so good. I haven’t found any parasitic battery drain as before and have been reading the battery every few hours for the last 24 hours. I’m going to give it another day before I close up everything just in case.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was originally looking at them for the bezel free install. Supposedly they do work with the HHR according to Xtrons. From what I researched the HHR has the same canbus and pigtails to ours. In hindsight with the issues I’ve had with the bezel and the harness, maybe I should of just went with the Xtrons unit. If you do go with an Xtrons unit, please share your experience.
Looked at pictures of both our radio and one from a 2007 Impala (listed as compatible for Xtrons), both had the exact same connectors so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I'll start a thread after I get it and install.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Looked at pictures of both our radio and one from a 2007 Impala (listed as compatible for Xtrons), both had the exact same connectors so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I'll start a thread after I get it and install.
Way to go! Please let me know how this turns out.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Thanks for the help to those that commented. I buttoned everything up last night after waiting a few days with the replaced interface. The previous parasitic battery draw was concerning and I wanted to confirm the new unit solved the problem, which it did. Here’s a couple shots of the finished product. Still plenty of glare though I may try out the anti glare screen cover that Atoto included and see if that helps at all. BTW CarPlay is great and I can’t wait to get out and drive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got the Xtrons and attempted to install today. Doesn't turn on, tracing the wires on the harness and comparing that to the connector diagrams posted on the previous page, it looks like GM must have wired some models different even though they used the same connector. Is anyone able to get me the same diagrams for any vehicle listed on this page so I can be 100% sure I repin this thing right? I know where almost all the wires need to go except the CAN BUS ones, the CAN BUS Decoder included didn't have a nice pinout on the side like the Xtrons head unit does.

Edit: Found several diagrams for applicable models. Cross referencing to determine new pinout

41 - 55 of 55 Posts