Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
And . . . lest we forget, check the bottom of the front fenders. They are probably going to be cracked. There is a single bolt that holds the bottom of the fender in position. Eventually the plastic fenders develop cracks from this hole that runs out and up the side of the fender. It will continue to grow over time until it is highly visible. This is very repairable and the sooner you get it addressed the less it will cost. Consider pulling the fenders that are cracked and taking them to your local body shop. They will repair / reinforce them in this area and they will not crack in the future.
Yep my driver side al ready has a crack and the mounting bolt area is bent back a little from hitting something...

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Most water drain issues and general maintenance with the Sky and Solstice are related to natural dirt. If the previous owner parked it near trees, most especially trees with tiny needles, the debris finds it's way into many drain-sensitive areas. I advise to be very anal with general cleanliness during your first weeks of ownership.

My high mileage Sky was once parked where there was lots of such tree debris. Massive amounts of "hidden" dirt was accessed by removing the two front fenders, the two rear fender wheel wells, the front cowl that the windshield wipers protrude from, and the trunk liner. One obvious place to thoroughly clean is the rear base of the convertible top, the water trough portion inside the trunk. Once everything is well cleaned, be mindful of where you park to keep those areas clean. Stay away from trees, most especially spruce trees where those tiny needles end up everywhere.

I was concerned that all such debris would retain moisture and encouraging rust. I was happy to see that after a good cleaning, everything looked brand new with one exception, my battery tray. It was so bad that I had to replace it. I believe it got so bad for two reasons.
1) A previous battery boiled over often, accelerating rust.
2) A hole in the bottom of the fender splashed water directly on the rusting tray.

The new tray needs to be welded on, then painted for long-lasting protection.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
1) Lubricate the sliding portion of top mechanism over the doors to preclude pinching.- there are two plastic tabs that are screw mounted at the hinge point over the center of the side windows. If it is broken or missing, then your top will eventually be damaged. They are available if you need them. Check them every time you lubricate this area. Its rubber on rubber at the joint and if not lubricated will cause damage.
Hi Rob,

When I setup my Sky top, the canvas "pinches" in the area centered above the passenger door, right were the joint is. Is this what you are referring to? I wonder if I am missing the plastic tabs you reference. Do you have pictures detailing what they are, where they are located, where to buy replacement tabs, and how to install them?

I have to open my top from the passenger side and put my hand in that area to position the gasket to prevent the "pinch".

Also, what do you recommend for lubricating the gaskets to discourage that "pinch"?

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
the lower seal is soft rubber and the upper seal is a hard rubber strip afixed to the bottom of the canvas top. Lubricate both with dielectric grease.

this will last you for years

AmazonSmile: Permatex 22058 Dielectric Tune-Up Grease, 3 oz. Tube: Automotive

To my knowledge there are no tabs left in inventory so you need to find them at a recycle yard or other source. We had some sets made for the Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky club which I have been providing at cost to those who cant find another source. I am bringing some to the Nationals in Michigan next week.

At the hinge point, above the side windows, with the top partially retracted, lift up on the canvas and inspect the rear portion of the hinged side seal. You should observe a black plastic tab screwed to the top forward edge of the folding seal at the right side of the seal. If its missing you need to replace it. If worst case the plastic tab is missing and the rubber has worn on the lower seal to expose the metal reinforcing that should be embedded within the rubber seal material, then you must address this or the top is toast.

Check both sides.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Yep my driver side al ready has a crack and the mounting bolt area is bent back a little from hitting something...
This is most likely a result of the upper, hard rubber seal being dry. The result is it turns into a grabbing force that damages the tab first and then the rubber seal next. Put lots of dielectric grease along the bottom side of the upper seal and along the entire lower rubber seal.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
This is most likely a result of the upper, hard rubber seal being dry. The result is it turns into a grabbing force that damages the tab first and then the rubber seal next. Put lots of dielectric grease along the bottom side of the upper seal and along the entire lower rubber seal.
I think he is talking about the bolt under one of his fenders.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
the lower seal is soft rubber and the upper seal is a hard rubber strip afixed to the bottom of the canvas top. Lubricate both with dielectric grease.

To my knowledge there are no tabs left in inventory so you need to find them at a recycle yard or other source. We had some sets made for the Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky club which I have been providing at cost to those who cant find another source. I am bringing some to the Nationals in Michigan next week.

At the hinge point, above the side windows, with the top partially retracted, lift up on the canvas and inspect the rear portion of the hinged side seal. You should observe a black plastic tab screwed to the top forward edge of the folding seal at the right side of the seal. If its missing you need to replace it. If worst case the plastic tab is missing and the rubber has worn on the lower seal to expose the metal reinforcing that should be embedded within the rubber seal material, then you must address this or the top is toast.

Check both sides.
Thanks Rob. I will inspect what I have or what I am missing there.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Okay Rob, I just went down and looked at my top.

I found something that looks real suspicious, wondering if this is what you are talking about. I have this condition on both sides, a metal tab that is molded into the front end of the rearward gasket. It is held in place with a single screw. The tab on the left and right sides of the vehicle are both bent upward for some strange reason. I believe it is supposed to be flat because I can see that it was once fully molded into the rubber.

Is this causing the "pinch" when setting up the top? Logic says it is. Should I bend it flat or even more downward to prevent it from catching on something and then getting bent back upward again?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I studied the situation closely and then decided to tap those metal tabs down which set them back into their rubber molded indents. The top went up and down without getting pinched so I did some good though not sure if I still need to do something extra per the original advise from Rob the Elder. I admit, his advise is not real clear to me yet.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

Check both sides.
Reading your input again.......
It sounds like you are referencing my bent metal tabs as "METAL REINFORCING". I tapped them down but have no rubber on the top of them. It's just a bare black colored metal tab. I am not sure what more I can or should do. What do you recommend?

The top works, it looks good, it folds away and sets up fine, the rain stays out. I don't know what it looked like when new nor what problems may arise. This is a second-hand top that I bought from Hoosier GXP. My original top has left the building or I would have studied any differences.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts