Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I`ve been browsing this forum for a little while and thought it was time to chime in. I`ve learned more here than I have from the dealer. The members and moderators all seem to share the same passion that I do. I`ve been looking forward to driving my own Sky for about a year now, and it looks like my dream is about to come true. I was fortunate enough to work on some of the sheet metal design when it first became an official program. I put my deposit down at my local dealer 8/26/05, and was told that I`m #4 on the "Paid List". According to my sales person, I get my "Pick of the Litter" after the first three. My preferences are Silver Graphite, Black Leather, and all the "Bells and Whistles" that I can get. If all goes according to schedule, I`m hoping to be driving sometime in April/May, that would put me into Springtime here in Michigan, can`t think of a better time to start enjoying my drive. I had the oppurtunity to drive a Soltice last week, if my Sky is anything close to that, I`ll be in Heaven.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Welcome, wannasky. You are in the right place to feed your passion for a new Sky. Don't worry about the Sky being any less of a vehicle than the new Solstice. They are built on identical platforms with same drivetrain. There is some discussion that the engine may have been detuned for the Sky but there are identical, and more that likely can be retuned to the Pontiac spec.

Although your dealer said you will be 4th on the allocation list and you are hoping for a certain color; we are all hoping only exact orders will be processed at first. The reason being is even though the Sky comes standard with a lot of features, most buyers want to pick and choose their own additional options. Be sure you get the opportunity to order the car as you want it come November and not have to settle for a blanket dealer order.

GM has planned the building of new Saturn Sky cars for a while now. The scheduled production date is growing closer and closer. A lot of planning and scheduling of parts needs to all fall into place before actual production can begin. According the official news release from Saturn the first cars will arrive in Spring 2006, which as you have read means anywhere from March 20, 2006 - June 22, 2006. With a little luck and no factory problems they should be able to get well over 1000 units delivered in the time frame. If you divide that out by the total number of dealers available evenly (though probably not how it will go in real life), each dealer should get 2 cars before the summer of 2006. Some will get slightly more. Expect the other 1000's upon 1000's of cars to arrive during the summer of 2006. So you should have no problem getting your car by summer at the latest.

Again, welcome aboard!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Delnari said:
According the official news release from Saturn the first cars will arrive in Spring 2006, which as you have read means anywhere from March 20, 2006 - June 22, 2006.

:cheers: ... but Spring ends on the 20th on my calendar! :D Can you tell that I am counting the days? :confused: :lol: (Two days will feel like forever, when your car is on the delivery truck!) :willy:

·
Registered
554 Posts
The Sky cars delivered initially will more than likely be around 1-2 thousand in the first allocation group. This first allocation should be delivered in the Spring of 2006. After that, come Summer 2006 I would expect to see over 5,000 units in hands of buyers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome, there seems to be quite a few members here that have good info in regards to Sky progress, I can only speculate as to sources. When I gave the dealer my deposit, I specified what, (available at the time) options I wanted. I was told that I would be able to modify that list when I could officially place my order. When they get their initial allocation, I will be have the option to accept #4 or pass regardless of the color/options. Since I`m not interested in the Sky as a collectible, (I want to drive and enjoy it) I`m willing to wait to get what I want. This will work out good as far as the original fit and finish too. I`ve seen the gap problems from some of the early Solstices, and I`m just too picky. I feel that it will be worth the wait, and I`ll be able appreciate the car for what it is even more. My only concern is that the dealer will raise the price above the MSRP. I understand "Supply and Demand" but being overcharged is a hard pill for me to swallow, it guess it depends on how much and how bad I really want the car. I`ve already accepted that I won`t get GMS pricing but...

·
Registered
328 Posts
wannasky said:
My only concern is that the dealer will raise the price above the MSRP. I understand "Supply and Demand" but being overcharged is a hard pill for me to swallow, it guess it depends on how much and how bad I really want the car. I`ve already accepted that I won`t get GMS pricing but...
I am new to Saturn, but I thought that they are the original "no haggle" car company. I think (hope) that Saturn will not have many cases of prices above MSRP. People are calling the Sky a "halo" car for Saturn, so it would not be in their best interest. JMHO

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yes, Saturn was born with the philosphy of "No haggle" pricing. You go in and pick the vehicle you like, the options you like, and pay the price indicated on the sticker. Simple and clean.

The problem we may face is the dreaded "Adjusted Value Price" place on all cars. Saturn dealers are no different than other companies in that they want to make a reasonable profit on what they sell. If the Pontiac dealership across the street (as in my town) is getting $2k-$3k over sticker for basically the same type of car, how does the Saturn dealer not markup their vehicle to stay in competition with their neighbors. Just like multiple gas stations at an intersection match each others pricing.

If there were enough cars being built to satisfied the initial buyer interest then you wouldn't see this type of addon pricing. When there are 10 buyers for every 1 car available you end up with this scenerio.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts