Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many SKYs have been gathered in one place at one time once they leave the factory, or are no longer bunched on a train or a transport truck? I hereby submit our nominations for a new World Record

Photo 1: EIGHT at the dealership (two out of frame)
Photo 2: Nine on PCH
Photo 3: Nine on PCH
Photo 4: ELEVEN under the Palm Trees at Capistrano State Beach
Photo 5: ELEVEN on Camp Pendelton (the arrow conveniently points to #11)

At one point we had TWELVE, but I don't have a picture with all twelve at the same time. Note that on Photo 5 ELEVEN are clearly visible, but by this time Kevin had departed in his Sunburst Yellow for parts north.

Participants of the day (in caravan order)

1. jdigiant - Silver Pearl
2. Robotech - Midnight Blue
3. Eddie & Sara (soon to join the forum) - Silver Pearl
4. Seagull - Midnight Blue
5. Tolaiz - Chili Pepper Red
6. Cerberus - Midnight Blue
7. Angelqute1 - Silver Graphite
8. RXMan - Silver Pearl
9. John & Robin (Soon to join the forum) - Silver Pearl
10. Kevin (Soon to join the forum) - Sunburst Yellow
11. Jerry (Saturn Corporate Guy) - Midnight Blue
12. The Stig (KappaSphere) - Silver Pearl

Attachments

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
I Pick

jdigiant said:
How many SKYs have been gathered in one place at one time once they leave the factory, or are no longer bunched on a train or a transport truck? I hereby submit our nominations for a new World Record

At one point we had TWELVE, but I don't have a picture with all twelve at the same time. Note that on Photo 5 ELEVEN are clearly visible, but by this time Kevin had departed in his Sunburst Yellow for parts north.

8. RXMan - Silver Pearl
Great Day
Great New Friends
I pick #5 because you can see them all
Till our Next Run

·
Registered
185 Posts
jdigiant said:

8. RXMan - Silver Pearl
Great job California!:thumbs: We will attempt to bring 20 or so Skys to a get together in Chicago in July maybe we will break your record! Even if we don't it will still be a great day for the Sky Family:cheers: :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Seagull said:
Great Day
Great New Friends
I pick #5 because you can see them all
Till our Next Run
Nice to meet everyone.
Give me some time, I'll see if I can find a few pics to post.
I seem to have captured a "few" (796), primarily from the drive itself.
A bit much (sky, after sky, after sky.....), but there oughta be something in there.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Social

Looks like a great trip. My wife and I sold our Mazdaspeed Miata to get a redline and seeing you guys do that really makes me miss having a convertible. we went on runs with local Miata clubs regularly. I am envious!!! It almost makes want to to stop waiting for the Redline and get a regular SKY. Almost.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Looks like you all had an awesome time... hope the 15TH of July gets a record number..... IT WILL BE AN AWESOME DAY....SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
wish I could have been #12 :banghead:

I'll be moving 4th of July weekend so hopefully, with that outta the way I'll be able to take part in these events. :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
11,487 Posts
It was a great trip (all the thank you's in the other thread...I won't repeat).

I still want to see if that picture came out with all the Saturn logo's next to the "ghost". (When we came to a light and stopped one behind the other, if you looked in your review mirror at the "ghost" you also saw the Saturn logos of about four other cars behind you in the mirror as well.)

Great trip! Need to do it again, and soon.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Very cool.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Went on a similar run in Pittsburgh Saturday with a Solstice group ( see pix under Great Lakes thread, NEO/PA. ) We had 27 cars. Only 2 skys, but can't wait til it's the other way around. It was the second largest group run. The first was set by the same group in the spring. As I said in another thread, if you have the opportunity to hook up with your local Sol group until there are enough Skys out there, I recommend it highly. It was a blast!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Thank You!!!

Rich,

What great pictures. I don't know how you all do your "slide shows", but the pics look great. I'm only sorry we didn't make the drive ALL THE WAY DOWN to SD. We had such a ball though. I haven't been able to stop talking about it or stop emailing the pictures. Unfortunately, the original slide show from juschillin cannot be opened from my work email due to a firewall, so this was PERFECT. Thank you again, EVERYONE, for participating. It wouldn't have been the same without any of you!!!!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Catgirl said:
Went on a similar run in Pittsburgh Saturday with a Solstice group...
I was wondering whether there would be many "Kappa" outtings... welcoming both brands, or whether most owners will want to meet with their same brand.

If we end up primarily meeting with just Sky owners, will that mean Sky Red Line owners will mostly just meet with other RL owners?? :confused:

I vote for inclusion with all the Kappa family. I wonder if most of them will feel the same?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Axel said:
I was wondering whether there would be many "Kappa" outtings... welcoming both brands, or whether most owners will want to meet with their same brand.

If we end up primarily meeting with just Sky owners, will that mean Sky Red Line owners will mostly just meet with other RL owners?? :confused:

I vote for inclusion with all the Kappa family. I wonder if most of them will feel the same?

I agree with you. Were I forming a kappa club, I'd be sure that the Saturn name was on the door first then I'd invite solstice owners to join, with equal status and voting rights.

In fact, I would open membership to all GM roadsters, corvettes and XTS included. I wouldnt count on them breaking down our door to join but one never knows.

I also believe that most solstice owners would prefer to go it alone.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Axel said:

You know, this is a great question - and one that came up as I was planing the event. This is my first "SKY" event that I have ever been to. And, I wanted to do two things. First, meet some like-minded people and take a nice drive. But second, to meet my friends that I have never met - knowing them only through this forum. We did not prevent any Solstices from showing up - in fact, I said that even if you didn't have a SKY you were welcome to join us - but I also did not go out of my way to invite Solstices. Not because I didn't think that Solstices were part of the Kappa car family, more because the Solstice Owners were not part of the SKY Forum family.

I wanted to get to meet the folks from here and associate faces with avatars. I don't know anybody on the Solstice site, and they don't really know us. And I certainly didn't want a "junior high dance" with all the SKY folks on one side of the gym pointing at all the cute Solstice folks on the other side of the gym but talking only among themselves - if you know what I mean.

Also, there was a practical matter. This was a "moving" event, and it was pretty darned tough to keep a dozen cars together. If this was a combined Solstice/SKY rally, how many cars would there have been? Thirty? Forty? The places that we went for the most part barely had enough parking slots for our dozen cars. If we had thirty we would not have been able to go where we wanted to go.

I look forward to an event with Solstices. I really do. But this one just did not make sense as a joint event for a lot of reasons. It wasn't personal, it was just practical.

As for the Red Lines, we had three future Red Line owners there hanging with us - but they are all members of the SkyRoadster.com forum, so they fit right in. I hope we don't see a "you're a Red Line guy and I'm a SKY guy" mentality. I certainly won't feel that way.

Now, with that said, I must add this... How many times on this forum have you seen "We had a Kappa rally with fifteen cars - fourteen Solstices and one SKY!" or other such stuff? I'm SICK of that. :brentil: The SKY needed its own day in the sun to be the star of the show. At least once. And now that this has been accomplished, I feel much better now. Thank you.:D

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
jdigiant said:
How many times on this forum have you seen "We had a Kappa rally with fifteen cars - fourteen Solstices and one SKY!" or other such stuff? I'm SICK of that. :brentil: The SKY needed its own day in the sun to be the star of the show. At least once. And now that this has been accomplished, I feel much better now. Thank you.:D

jdgiant I know what you mean, The Sky does need a day for itself. Now you can go forward with Kappa day.

I'm n northern Calif and am waiting for mine. I hope we can have a get togeather up here like had down south. Of course it would have to be the wine country and not the beach. M aybe even a little tasteing along the way.

·
Registered
342 Posts
fkeillor said:
jdgiant I know what you mean, The Sky does need a day for itself...
I agree... and it needs many more days for itself... and as jdigiant said, sometimes small groups can do things a larger group couldn't.

It sounds like it basically comes down to the comaraderie formed via these forums. After the Sol & Sky have been out a few years, and all the ordering & waiting, the options, mods, etc. have pretty much become old news, I'd love to see the Solstice and Sky forums become one... a true Kappa forum.

Yes we have Saturn forums, and GM forums... but I believe we will share more with our Pontiac Solstice brethren than the rest of the Saturn or GM world of cars/suvs/trucks.

Probably won't happen for economic reasons... but I'd love to see it.
Kapppashere certainly had the foresight for the right name IMO. :cheers:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts