Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm somewhat "computer illiterate" as to the procedures on how to send posts on a forum. I'm amazed I got this far.

This is just a test to see if if I'm on the right track. Heck, I'm not sure how I got to this point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,876 Posts
:cheers: :lol: :D :lol: :cheers:
Well scientific success is only complete if you can REPEAT the experiment...:lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :)
Tell us about your car!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looks like I was successful

First of all, I want all of you to know how important this forum has been to me while in the "lurking mode" for many, many months. What a wealth of information.

I could write for hours on the good and bad experiences I've had with my Sky.

Chilie Pepper
Blk /top
Manual
Premium package
Lsd

I'll start with a nightmare that was my fault.

As you all know, the premium package comes with the audio controls on the steering wheel. I was driving at night at approx. 35mph when I made some kind of adjustment to my radio with my hand. I don't know why, but for whatever reason, I didn't use the controls on the steering wheel. My eyes left the road for a split second which caused me to hit the curb. I made a quick recovery but the damage was already done.

The steering wheel was vibrating big time as I continued to drive home about 1 mile away. When I parked in my garage, I got out to inspect the damage and I was expecting one bad scene.

I was somewhat relieved when I noticed there was no body damage. Then I looked at the tires and almost shed a tear.

The front and rear wheels had one big gouge and both tires had a very small piece of rubber missing.

Took it to the dealer the next day.

They had it for 2 1/2 days and this is a break down of the cost:
Wheels:375.00 each
Tires: 292.58 each
Wheel alignment: 179.95
Total labor including wheel alignment: 579.75
Tax: 105.15
Misc. and stem charges: 37.00

Out the door expenses: $2056.72

I noticed another poster did the same thing earlier. I mentioned all this in the hopes none of you good folks make this same mistake of your eyes leaving the road. Do I even have to mention cell phones?

I have so much more to comment on including the over msrp charge, leaks, body panels out of line, etc. Even with all these problems, I'm thinking positive and hope all will be corrected shortly. I still love my Sky.

This is getting longer than I expected so, I'll hang up for now and continue another time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
Ouch. That hurt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
574 Posts
Welcome aboard from Minnesota!

Of course all I got was your accidentally released credit card # and banking info.......:D :D ....no seriuosly welcome aboard...keep posting......you are doing fine......:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
574 Posts
Oh NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just saw the post on your wheels....Thats terrible...but a few road trips and all will be forgotten......:) :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
21iwin said:
As you all know, the premium package comes with the audio controls on the steering wheel. I was driving at night at approx. 35mph when I made some kind of adjustment to my radio with my hand. I don't know why, but for whatever reason, I didn't use the controls on the steering wheel. My eyes left the road for a split second which caused me to hit the curb. I made a quick recovery but the damage was already done.

The steering wheel was vibrating big time as I continued to drive home about 1 mile away. When I parked in my garage, I got out to inspect the damage and I was expecting one bad scene.

I was somewhat relieved when I noticed there was no body damage. Then I looked at the tires and almost shed a tear.

The front and rear wheels had one big gouge and both tires had a very small piece of rubber missing.

Took it to the dealer the next day.

They had it for 2 1/2 days and this is a break down of the cost:
Wheels:375.00 each
Tires: 292.58 each
Wheel alignment: 179.95
Total labor including wheel alignment: 579.75
Tax: 105.15
Misc. and stem charges: 37.00

Out the door expenses: $2056.72

I noticed another poster did the same thing earlier. I mentioned all this in the hopes none of you good folks make this same mistake of your eyes leaving the road. Do I even have to mention cell phones?

I have so much more to comment on including the over msrp charge, leaks, body panels out of line, etc. Even with all these problems, I'm thinking positive and hope all will be corrected shortly. I still love my Sky.

This is getting longer than I expected so, I'll hang up for now and continue another time.
I know how bad it makes you feel, one thing on your figures, your tires cost 40 dollars more each than mine, but your wheels were almost 400 less, did you have the painted wheels? also i noticed they charged you 179 for a wheel alignment, mine is 59 for a 4 wheel alignment, the weird thing is they charged you extra labor, and it brought your bill up to almost the same total as mine... boy does your dealer make alot off labor or what... I am so sorry you and I had to go through this this... but atleast there was no other damage other than to the tires and wheels... a tough little car...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
new tires and wheels

SkyMan 07 said:
I know how bad it makes you feel, one thing on your figures, your tires cost 40 dollars more each than mine, but your wheels were almost 400 less, did you have the painted wheels? also i noticed they charged you 179 for a wheel alignment, mine is 59 for a 4 wheel alignment, the weird thing is they charged you extra labor, and it brought your bill up to almost the same total as mine... boy does your dealer make alot off labor or what... I am so sorry you and I had to go through this this... but atleast there was no other damage other than to the tires and wheels... a tough little car...
I certainly agree we should be thankful we didn't sustain more serious damage.

Yes, I had painted aluminum and they were replaced by the same.

According to my figures, my tires cost 292.58 each and yours were 287.38.

Yup, they really ripped me off with the labor charge. I was told they charge 89.00 per hr. for labor. My invoice states total labor charge at 579.75. Simple math dictates it took them 6.5 hrs. to exchange the tires, wheels and do an alignment. I'm not a mechanic but, this seems excessive to me. Any opinions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
it probably did not actually take them 6.5 hours, but remember that the labor rates are not based on actual time, but industry standards for how long the repair could take. (i.e.: alignment, 1 hour, etc...regardless of whether it takes 1 hour or not, but it goes both ways too, if they take 2 hours to align your car because of complications, well, its still 1 hour)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
21Uwin, not to make you feel bad but more for future victims:

When I first bought my 02 SS Camaro I took a rail road crossing too fast and I ended up pinching one of my front tires and taking out a piece of the wheel. I went back to the dealer and they quoted me $350 for the Eagle 275/45 series tire and $600 for the SS six-spoke wheel. I told them they were insane when they quoted something like $1,100 so I went digging.

I called around and a found a place called Hubcap Heaven, they repaired the wheel for $120 and I found a tire online at discount tire direct for $180 with shipping. A tire shop mounted and balanced the wheel/tire for $18. So it ended up costing about $320 compared to $1,100.

The wheel was smashed and missing a piece of the lip but they welded in some new aluminum, machined the wheel and repainted it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bradyb said:
21Uwin, not to make you feel bad but more for future victims:

When I first bought my 02 SS Camaro I took a rail road crossing too fast and I ended up pinching one of my front tires and taking out a piece of the wheel. I went back to the dealer and they quoted me $350 for the Eagle 275/45 series tire and $600 for the SS six-spoke wheel. I told them they were insane when they quoted something like $1,100 so I went digging.

I called around and a found a place called Hubcap Heaven, they repaired the wheel for $120 and I found a tire online at discount tire direct for $180 with shipping. A tire shop mounted and balanced the wheel/tire for $18. So it ended up costing about $320 compared to $1,100.

The wheel was smashed and missing a piece of the lip but they welded in some new aluminum, machined the wheel and repainted it.
That's a great story. Good for you for pursuing your options. I wasn't that innovative.

I did get one bit of good news from my dealer.

One or two days after I paid my bill, I received a coupon in the mail from them (about 2 wks. ago) offering a 25% discount on any accessory, parts, including installaton, etc.. I was very upset at the bad timing and felt they wouldn't honor it since I had already paid my bill.

After 2 wks. of courteous and constant persistence, they decided to honor the coupon and said they will apply it towards my $2,056 repair bill. The Service Mgr. asked if I wanted it in credit or cash. Obviously, I said cash.

I have to be there this Tues. to talk with a visiting Sky Rep. on an unrelated matter so, I was told my $514.00 check will ready then.

Since this is one of the very few positive moments I've had with this dealership, I'll wait till the check is in my hand before I celebrate. I'll let you know the outcome.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
500 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear about your accident. I have read about these a couple of times now, and I keep wondering, these are car accidents, right? Won't everyone's insurance policy pay for them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
richm said:
Wow, sorry to hear about your accident. I have read about these a couple of times now, and I keep wondering, these are car accidents, right? Won't everyone's insurance policy pay for them?
Yes, my insurance would have covered it and I was going to file a claim.

Then, I put my old geezer brain in gear and decided that in the long run, it wouldn't be the best idea financially for the following reasons:

My $500.00 deductable would knock my claim down to $1,556. My agent assured me my premiums would definately go up at renewal time. He didn't know how much but, I didn't want that to happen.

So, by filing a claim, I'd still be out $500.00 and paying higher monthly payments for who knows how much or for how long. I'm sure it wouldn't take very long for this to exceed my damage expenses. Even though it's still a lot of money, I concluded it would be better to pay out of my pocket. Does anybody agree?

I also had a psychological reason for not filing.

I'll be 64 yrs. old (yep, I'm way up there on the age poll someone started) on 7/31 and have never filed an accident claim. After exactly 50 yrs. of driving, I didn't want to put a blemish on my record for that small amount.

Didn't mean to write so much and thanks for listening.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Hey 21, I bought from the same dealership as you. What color did you get? Sorry to hear about your mishap, I use a cell alot in my line of work so I use a bluetooth headset and voice dial so I don't have to leave the wheel. I also got a cellular mount for the dash that works and is right next to the steering wheel so I only have to look 1 inch down so it helps. You know even with the steering controls I still have the habit of going to the dash, will have to retrain myself! Have you had anymore problems with the dealer, what is the Sky rep going to you about? Glad they gave you a break on the charges too, they don't give up the goods very easy over there....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ranps1:

Nice hearing from you.

Did you receive my PM I sent you a few days ago?

My nightmare stories with this dealership are simply way too long for this format.

It started with their ridiculous "Market Area Adjustment" add on for $2,495 and the mandatory option (oxymoron?) for the worthless window etching for another $189.00. Also how they manipulated my paper work to justify the "MAM" charge.

It continued to go down hill till this day with the service Department.

I'm still trying to keep a positive attitude since all the problems are somewhat minor.

I've had my Sky exactly two mos and have yet to fully enjoy her.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top