Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Howdy folks...I'll try to keep this short and sweet.(but will probably end up rambling for awhile)

I'm pulling my hair out trying to decide what the hell to do about my situation.

I'm a sports car enthusiast (or so I like to think I am).
I have owned a couple of older 911s, a 944 (big whoop), an M3, a modded TA and quite a few modded Zs.

Started when I was a younger man (17-ish) and I always had to have something with alot of balls. I'm a lot older now, but I don't know if I'm willing to give that up yet.

Problem is, I am already on my 6th speeding violation in the last 3 years, and am in danger of losing my license.

I love my 350Z, but the car is very stable at high speeds and I don't realize I'm going that fast until it's too late. (and my radar detector sucks, to boot)

Anyway....I fell in love with the Sky when I saw it in a magazine, and have since visited the dealership many times to drool over it.

No offense meant here, guys, but...honestly I am afraid I will get it and hate it cuz of the power (or lack thereof), and be embarassed to drive it cuz it's a Saturn (and I am a label-whore)...not to mention I know NOTHING of Saturn reliability or quality.

I like the looks of the Sky, but I don't know if I can handle getting smoked by Miatas and Civics all the live long day, ya know what I mean?

Does anyone know where I am coming from or am I just being <unreasonable> here???

Thanks for the help and insults in advance!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sounds like the Sky is made for you.

You'll feel ALL the speed..it'll take you at least 8 seconds to reach a speed that'll get you in trouble.

And you can laugh at at the Civics and Miatas that get speeding tickets--as you blow past them and the cops at 55 MPH!

You'll look good AND keep your license.

Just don't get the Red Line

·
Registered
129 Posts
I see by your post that you definitely have, what I call, a "Testosterone" problem. First off I must ask if speed is that important to you that you are willing to possibly loose your driving privilage? The standard Sky has as much power as anyone really needs. It's not how fast you go from 0-60 or 0-120 for that matter. It's getting there safelty that's important. If you need your speed fix simply keep you fastest car and take it to the track for your testosterone fix on the weekends. We all get caught from time to time going over the limit. In my case I got nailed 25 years ago doing 65 in a 55. As far as brand names go they are just that. I don't feel I need to impress anyone else with what I drive. The Sky, in my humble opinion, is the sexiest car on the road today, bar none. It relatively inexpensive and has the looks of an 80K car. One last point. If you do get smoked by someone while driving your Sky you can always chuckle as you pass the fool a mile or so up the road as the blue light flash and he receives his well deserved ticket. Then think to yourself....there by the grace of God goes I. I wouldn't trade my Sky for a brand new Z06 Vette! Hope this helps you a bit. Now go buy the Sky and have a great time driving / cruising in style and forget all that speed nonsense.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Zulu said:
Howdy folks...I'll try to keep this short and sweet.(but will probably end up rambling for awhile)

I'm pulling my hair out trying to decide what the hell to do about my situation.

I'm a sports car enthusiast (or so I like to think I am).
I have owned a couple of older 911s, a 944 (big whoop), an M3, a modded TA and quite a few modded Zs.

Started when I was a younger man (17-ish) and I always had to have something with alot of balls. I'm a lot older now, but I don't know if I'm willing to give that up yet.

Problem is, I am already on my 6th speeding violation in the last 3 years, and am in danger of losing my license.

I love my 350Z, but the car is very stable at high speeds and I don't realize I'm going that fast until it's too late. (and my radar detector sucks, to boot)

Anyway....I fell in love with the Sky when I saw it in a magazine, and have since visited the dealership many times to drool over it.

No offense meant here, guys, but...honestly I am afraid I will get it and hate it cuz of the power (or lack thereof), and be embarassed to drive it cuz it's a Saturn (and I am a label-whore)...not to mention I know NOTHING of Saturn reliability or quality.

I like the looks of the Sky, but I don't know if I can handle getting smoked by Miatas and Civics all the live long day, ya know what I mean?

Does anyone know where I am coming from or am I just being <unreasonable> here???

Thanks for the help and insults in advance!
Let someone who will love the SKY for what it is--Saturn brand and all--have it, and get a governor installed on your other sports cars.

Anne

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
The Sky was designed for a market group. It doesn't sound to me like you are in that group. If you need to spend another $40k to make it all feel good then you should do that.

The Sky is designed to compete with the Miata and it does it well! As I've said before, it doesn't compair with the Corvette, the BMW or any other high priced sports car in any way...including price. For someone that wants a good looking fun car it fits the bill.

This car can no more compete with the Z4 than it can with a minivan! Love it or leave it.:cool:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Zulu said:
QUOTE]

there are a few routes you can go depending on how much power you want and how much $$$ u have to spend.

going the bolt on route: CAI,headers,dual exhaust, ECM tune should put you around 205-210bhp. that should get you past the miata/civic crowd.

If your going after bigger fish, there are a couple of companies offering turbo kits that should get you up around 300bhp on the 2.4. Or wait for the RL to come out and add a little boost to that.

being a car guy you should already know these options are out there and available thru the aftermarket.

I think you will be dissappointed with the 177hp but being embarrased cause its a saturn? I kinda thought that to but actually have seen the opposite affect. People drool all over this thing, whether its a saturn or not.

#1 most common comment - Thats a saturn!?!?!
saturn is trying to change their image, and this car is doing it. Lets hope they can keep it up.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
rick112 said:
The Sky was designed for a market group. It doesn't sound to me like you are in that group. If you need to spend another $40k to make it all feel good then you should do that.

The Sky is designed to compete with the Miata and it does it well! As I've said before, it doesn't compair with the Corvette, the BMW or any other high priced sports car in any way...including price. For someone that wants a good looking fun car it fits the bill.

This car can no more compete with the Z4 than it can with a minivan! Love it or leave it.:cool:

My opinion, this car can be both. It can be the look cool, miata competitor or it can be that same awesome looking car and compete with higher end sports cars. and it doesn't take $40k in aftermarket.

This car has all the possibilities you could ask for, or leave it stock and enjoy. Thats the beauty of the kappa series.

Take a look over at the SOl forum just to get an idea of what can be done with this platform. I believe theres an article out about the sol setting a new track record and doing very well in one its first races.

anyway, I've already figured out that the majority of sky buyers are not into aftermarket at all. (except cosmetics aftermarket)

ZULU- check out the sol forum for the info your looking for.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Makes me think of a great ad a few years back when Ford came out with the retro T-bird. Guy drives up to a 4-way intersection in his T-bird. Seconds later, another guy and girl pull up next to him in (I think it was a) Ferrari. Ferrari guy looks at the T-bird, smiles cockily, gives him the signal to race, and makes his girl get out to start them. Tension mounts as she waves her arms to start them. Ferrari guy tears off like a bat out of hell. T-bird doesn't move. Girl smiles at the T-bird guy, gets in the passenger seat and they make a right turn and drive away.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
MCsky said:
Makes me think of a great ad a few years back when Ford came out with the retro T-bird. Guy drives up to a 4-way intersection in his T-bird. Seconds later, another guy and girl pull up next to him in (I think it was a) Ferrari. Ferrari guy looks at the T-bird, smiles cockily, gives him the signal to race, and makes his girl get out to start them. Tension mounts as she waves her arms to start them. Ferrari guy tears off like a bat out of hell. T-bird doesn't move. Girl smiles at the T-bird guy, gets in the passenger seat and they make a right turn and drive away.
LOL... I think I remember that commercial. :lol:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Zulu, I cannot blame you , some people never grow out of the MORE power thing... some people will even take the Z06 corvette and make it more powerful, Why? I don;t know, just an ego trip to some i think... some they like the feel of the power, me, I am perfectly happy with 177HP, I can get into trouble with it doing stupid stuff if i want to, I choose not to...
It's your choice, even with high horsepower you do not have to use it, but if you don;t use it why have it... it's a catch 22, use it and have a greater possibility of getting in trouble or don't use it and you could have saved 20,000 and bought a Sky... how many tickets can you pay with that 20,000 you will save?? LOL

·
Super Moderator
11,627 Posts
I hate to say it but I don't think the Sky is going to save you from being ticketed. It still will get you over 55 and most of your imports will run similar 1/4 mile times so it's not like it is underpowered. Plus it begs to get jetting through twisty mountain roads.

But for brute force power, yea, it's lacking. Unless you are prepared for it and accept the fact that you have driven faster cars you may hate it. As for badge issues, don't sweat it. When you have guys in Masseratis, Vipers, Vettes, SLKs, Jags, Ferraris, Bentlys and all the rest staring at YOUR car (about half of which just happened to me this weekend) you realize the fact that it is a "Saturn" doesn't detract in the least from it's traffic stopping good looks.

That's why I still have my Grand Prix. Not only does it have more room, four doors, and a real trunk it is the POWER car of the two. I want fast acceleration...the GP has ran 13.5 and should be down to 12.5 in the quarter when I'm done. For a street car that's good enough for me.

Now, if you REALLY have to have the power, I'm sure Mallett could shoehorn a LS7 with a blower into this thing. They have a similar kit for the Solstice so is SHOULD work in the SKy. There's your low 12 second street roadster and I doubt you'd be seeing many tail lights in that...just more wig wags, blue and red strobes, and maybe a lot more judges.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
It is what it is and not what it's not

There are two groups of sports cars... Guess which group the SKY belongs in:

Group A: Ferrari 328, DeTomasso Pantera, Shelby Cobra, Lamborghini (any), Jaguar XKE, Top-end Corvettes, etc.

Group B: MG (any), Triumph Spitfire, Opel GT, Porsche 924, Fiat 124 Spyder, Mazda Miata, etc.

The answer, obviously, is Group B.

Group A is ultra-complex, spare-no-expense, maximum power type performance. Cars tend to be big, and overcome their size by sheer power. You're generally talking 8, 12, or even 16 cylinders in this group. Their motto can best be summed up as "More is never enough."

Group B is all about balance. Small platforms, small (four cylinder) engines, simple designs. The performance that they aim for is balanced, too... Excellent handling (particularly at low speeds), manageable acceleration, reasonable top ends, and all of this balanced with a reasonable price tag. Their motto can best be summed up as "More is Too Much."

The two groups are solutions to address very different design requirements. Group A is "What is the maximum performance we can achieve?" Group B is "What is the most that we can accomplish within these very restrictive parameters?" Both represent some tough design challenges. And both can be respeced and excellent executions against their design requirements. But to compare either group against the parameters set for the other totally misses the point.

To me, the SKY is an excellent execution of the true "roadster" definition - simple, low-cost, stylish and reasonable performance. This carries on the tradition of the MG TC - but with a modern interpretation. Main requirement: Fun! I am proud to own one and drive it to work every day and enjoy every minute of it. That's why I bought it. :driving:

I had no interest in spending 2x, 3x, 4x or even 10x the amount that I paid for my SKY to get an exotic with a fancy label. That just doesn't define who I am. But then, I don't need a minimum of 8 cylinders, 32 valves, 200mph and 400bhp to make me feel - ahem - "adequate." I have other equipment that addresses that basic requirement quite well, thank you.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
jdigiant said:

Group A: Ferrari 328, DeTomasso Pantera, Shelby Cobra, Lamborghini (any), Jaguar XKE, Top-end Corvettes, etc.

Group B: MG (any), Triumph Spitfire, Opel GT, Porsche 924, Fiat 124 Spyder, Mazda Miata, etc.

Group A is ultra-complex, spare-no-expense, maximum power type performance. Cars tend to be big, and overcome their size by sheer power. You're generally talking 8, 12, or even 16 cylinders in this group. Their motto can best be summed up as "More is never enough."

Group B is all about balance. Small platforms, small (four cylinder) engines, simple designs. The performance that they aim for is balanced, too... Excellent handling (particularly at low speeds), manageable acceleration, reasonable top ends, and all of this balanced with a reasonable price tag. Their motto can best be summed up as "More is Too Much."

The two groups are solutions to address very different design requirements. Group A is "What is the maximum performance we can achieve?" Group B is "What is the most that we can accomplish within these very restrictive parameters?" Both represent some tough design challenges. And both can be respeced and excellent executions against their design requirements. But to compare either group against the parameters set for the other totally misses the point.

To me, the SKY is an excellent execution of the true "roadster" definition - simple, low-cost, stylish and reasonable performance. This carries on the tradition of the MG TC - but with a modern interpretation. Main requirement: Fun! I am proud to own one and drive it to work every day and enjoy every minute of it. That's why I bought it. :driving:

I had no interest in spending 2x, 3x, 4x or even 10x the amount that I paid for my SKY to get an exotic with a fancy label. That just doesn't define who I am. But then, I don't need a minimum of 8 cylinders, 32 valves, 200mph and 400bhp to make me feel - ahem - "adequate." I have other equipment that addresses that basic requirement quite well, thank you.:thumbs:
:thumbs: Well put.

:D

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
jdigiant said:

Amen to all of this...:thumbs:

·
Registered
73 Posts
not for you

saturn label....only modest power..you won't be happy....
i have driven more powerful cars and still knew when i was speeding...deal with your issues dude... not tryin to be a butt head...but the problem is you....not gettin a slower car.
. ok..that said
.could be wrong.. these cars are fun at 35mph...
how do you feel about your hair gettin mussed ?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
why is wanting a bit more power always compared to feeling "adequate" or related to some other "problem" that we must have for wanting a bit more power.

I personally won't be sliding a V8 into this car, but getting up to around 205bhp doesn't quite fall into the category of overpowered by a long shot. I think that 205bhp will put it right in the range that mixes affordability (can reach 205 with bolt ons) while adding more to the exhiliration when pulling the corners out of some mountain twisties.

And while everyone shoots down the idea of more power in our sky's, they turn around and drool all over the keyboard at the sight of an RL. If you aren't a fan of more power then the RL shouldn't interest you in the least.
I've also noticed that some who continually complain to those of us planning upgrades are the same people running around with CAI installed??? Did you just spend 350 bucks on that so you could say you had one? no, you bought it to add performance to your sky.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
usmc said:
why is wanting a bit more power always compared to feeling "adequate" or related to some other "problem" that we must have for wanting a bit more power.
Hey, don't get me wrong... A "bit more power" is okay. You are keeping the car within it's parameters and just enhancing it. You can put better tires on it, or (in the good ol' days) upgrade the carb... Put a new tailpipe on the back. So kick it up 10%, 15% or even 20% in horsepower. There's a fine tradition of that in sports cars. Some people like them straight from the factory, some like to tweak them. More power to ya! (Hey, I'm going for the CAI and a Borla exhaust myself.) It's going to be an "Improved SKY Roadster" not a "back-door entry into the Super-Exotic Arena."

It is unrealistic to place a SKY in a side-by-side comparison with a super-exotic, or to want to turn it into one. It ain't, and it ain't never gonna be. Nothing wrong with wanting a super-exotic, but there is something wrong with wanting a super-exotic and then complaining that the SKY doesn't fit the bill. That was never the design parameters for the car. Totally different animal.

I have a phrase that I apply to software engineering, but it applies to cars equally well, I think. When folks want to use a software app in a way that it was never intended to be used (and particularly where there is another solution available specifically designed to meet that need) I always say:
"You can't mold a bananna into a peach. It doesn't work, and you just end up ruining the bananna."
Banannas are good. Peaches are good. But they're both different. Now you can have roasted banannas and canned peaches, and they are okay variants because they still maintain their peachy or banannaesque goodness. Should you try to change one into the other the odds are that you're just gonna end up with mush. You'd be much happier starting with the other commodity to begin with.

:)

Semper Fi!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Well I see things a little differently than most be here goes. When I was younger I got into a lot of trouble street drag racing. Thought I was really cool because I had a fast car and I was out to prove that a girl could drive a stick, blah, blah, blah. When I was forced to trade cars (due to inablility to obtain insurance coverage! I maxed out the points on my license) I was heartbroken and lost. I had allowed fast cars to define me, it was part of my "image" Funny thing was I got over it really quick. Dont get me wrong I still love a responsive car but I value my ability to drive a nice car now. I really hope for your sake that you dont have to loose your license before you value it. Drive the sporty sky and redefine yourself as the cruiser with the top down smiling at everyone, or your next step down might be roller blades......... Ummm the badging thing - I am also a brand/badge snob. But remember that people all across this country (and others) are standing IN LINE for a Sky!!! People who drive really nice cars appreciate the SKy and are willing to wait a year to get one. Heck, buying a Sky right now makes you hip - just ask any teenager!!!!! I have had a 930 Turbo (slick ride), 3 Mustang GT's (all new), an old Vette (beat to heck), Olds Aurora (loved it), STS Caddy (current), and a REALLY UGLY LeBaron 4 cyclinder pretend turbo because I couldnt get insurance on anything else. Believe me, you drive a piece of crap LeBaron for a couple of years after driving the good stuff you will slow down and be happy to drive something nice.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
Way To Go

jdigiant said:
Very well said my man:thumbs: :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.