Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Saturn Sky roaster, with 10360 miles. recently lost instrument panel lighting and radio light is not lit. I have checked fuses and they appear to be okay, nothing obvious. What do I need to check or reset from this point? Need help. Thanks.:confused:

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
There is a dimmer knob on left side (about knee level). Very easy to hit with knee and accidentally dim the lights without knowing you did it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
:agree: I've done this before :D

·
7,051 Posts
There is a dimmer knob on left side (about knee level). Very easy to hit with knee and accidentally dim the lights without knowing you did it.
Hate when that happens. :banghead:
Going to over-ride that dimmer, I never use it anyway...... :)

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
I would never do this.
Coming back from Mod 5 lights out.
I just knew it had to be a fuse. LOL
LLLFLY

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Is there anyone who has NOT turned the dash lights off inadvertently? It first happened to me after we had the car at the dealer for an oil change. When I took it home there were not dash lights. . . . .:D:grouphug:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Interestinly enough (on the Sol, at least) the instrument lights are on the same fuse as the parking lights and tail lights. After some body work, the shop routed the wires going to the fog lights and turn signals over the metal cross piece instead of under and the headligh pinched a wire, shorting it out and blowing the fuse :banghead:. That fuse is under the hood.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Is there anyone who has NOT turned the dash lights off inadvertently? It first happened to me after we had the car at the dealer for an oil change. When I took it home there were not dash lights. . . . .:D:grouphug:
Interestingly, I have tried to get this wheel to work and it seems like it is not working. I have dash lights as long as the sensor says so but after that nothing and I cannot dim what the sensor puts on. Where do I start to troubleshoot this? Anyone else experienced this and got it fixed?

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
I must hit that dimmer when I get in the car, because its more often in darth vader mode than lit. Its really annoying and one of these days I will get mad enough that I will crazy glue the thing in the fully lit position. I was wondering if its possible that it just rolls itself in the off position with the movement of driving. The wheel seems pretty lose.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a continuing dash/radio illumination problem...intermittent. Mine seems to be environmental, as in outside temperature. When the car warms, the lights miraculously come back to full bright! I don't have an answer yet, but try this. When you turn on the ignition (but don't engage the starter) do you have all the lights...dash. warning. radio? Then when you start the engine, do the lights turn off? Try cycling through this a couple of times, and when the engine is warm, set the heater to defrost...throwing heat up through the dash...

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Is the car kept in a garage? If so it's probably the photo cell on the dash thinks it is night time and dims the dash lights to night time mode which is not bright enough to see in day light. Mine will do it parked under the eve of the house and when moved to direct sun light it takes a minute or so to change to day time mode, Just a thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi folks, my first post, and I know my problem is not the dimmer. The other day the wipers came on automatically, it wasn't raining, and the only way to turn it off was to pull the fuse. Tonight, my first time driving my one week old Sky, and I no instrument lighting. There are two guages mounted on the a pillar, and they were bright as lazers. Now I don't know this car, but it was heavily upgraded by, I think his screen name was greenrl. So, help, I need the dash wiring info, I work best with some information.

·
Premium Member
5,406 Posts
I would check the battery, disconnect and reconnect. This car can do crazy things if the battery is loose or if it is dying. Confirm the battery is in good condition before you go tearing into anything.

·
7,051 Posts
I would check the battery, disconnect and reconnect. This car can do crazy things if the battery is loose or if it is dying. Confirm the battery is in good condition before you go tearing into anything.
:wtf: skersfan, Your having problems with your car lighting and your giving advice to someone else with lighting problems! - - - :lol::glol::lol: - - -

·
Super Moderator
11,401 Posts
:wtf: skersfan, Your having problems with your car lighting and your giving advice to someone else with lighting problems! - - - :lol::glol::lol: - - -
Maybe so but still good advice.

When dealing with aftermarket additions and mods done by previous owners, you never now how they did things unless you tear into the car and figure out how they wired things. Those two gauges could be wired directly to the battery. Do they come on when you turn your lights on?

If they are wired into your headlights, then chances are that the battery and connection are good (though check them anyway, it's easy to do) since a loose battery connection will cause fluctuation in the lights. The problem could still be in your dimmer switch. If it goes bad, it doesn't send any current through and the lights stay off. I've had this happen in my Sierra pickup truck. (and a good WHACK on the dash lights everything back up...hey, it's a truck...does truck things)

If the battery connections are good, then you're going to have to start troubleshooting. Next is to check fuses. After that, you may have to start getting into your dash and looking at wiring schematics. Chances are though it's either a bad connection at the batter, a fuse, or the dimmer switch.

Of course, if the previous owner wired up those pillar gauges into the lighting for the dash...you could have problems there...

·
Premium Member
5,406 Posts
I have no problems with my lighting in any way. I have a problem doing what I want to do with my lighting. Everything works perfectly.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
Hi folks, my first post, and I know my problem is not the dimmer. The other day the wipers came on automatically, it wasn't raining, and the only way to turn it off was to pull the fuse. Tonight, my first time driving my one week old Sky, and I no instrument lighting. There are two guages mounted on the a pillar, and they were bright as lazers. Now I don't know this car, but it was heavily upgraded by, I think his screen name was greenrl. So, help, I need the dash wiring info, I work best with some information.
Stuff does go bonkers if the battery is going bad. I would change that first no matter what unless you can figure out when it went in- just so you don't have to worry about it for a few years.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I agree. My Redline's dash was acting up recently. Since the battery was the OEM AC Delco (7 yo) I replaced it and the problems went away.

Yogi

·
7,051 Posts
I have no problems with my lighting in any way. I have a problem doing what I want to do with my lighting. Everything works perfectly.
Relax Skersfan, keep your shirt on, I'm not fighting you but will send MarlborMike to do so if you keep it up! :D

·
7,051 Posts
Unless I missed it but the OP mention nothing about the car not starting only that his dash lighting are not working.
How is it that a car that starts needs a battery replace because the lights don't work. :confused:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts