Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
I think a loose terminal, I had some similar things happen about 4 months ago, pulled the battery and took it to Autozone, had it checked, said it was fine. Put it back in the car, no problems since. (other than this damned brake light deal)

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Unless I missed it but the OP mention nothing about the car not starting only that his dash lighting are not working.
How is it that a car that starts needs a battery replace because the lights don't work. :confused:
Mine would start, but I could tell that it wasn't turning over as fast as it used to. New bat cured that also.

Yogi

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is there anyone who has NOT turned the dash lights off inadvertently? It first happened to me after we had the car at the dealer for an oil change. When I took it home there were not dash lights. . . . .:D:grouphug:
I just got my sky 2007 and the radio and odometer go off randomly while I’m driving and will sometimes come back on while driving so it’s not the dimmer. Mine go out completely where radio stations can’t be changed either

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hi Rebecca,

I know you think otherwise, but just maybe the problem is related to the dimmer, specifically contact corrosion.

Remove the panel that the dimmer is mounted to. There are two 7mm screws below (easily seen) and two 7mm screws on the left side behind the black plastic pop-off panel (seen when the door is open). Then pull the panel towards the rear of the car to release it from 3 retaining clips that are located up high.

Then unscrew the three 7mm screws that hold the fog light and dimmer to that panel, then you can easily remove the connector. The dimmer portion of the connection is a circuit board. Clean the contacts with an eraser. Inspect the other portion for corrosion. If white chaulky or green crusty, you will need to clean it. I recommend soaking it in a baby food jar of CLR, then rinse with water in a jar, then blow dry with a hair dryer.

Attachment is easiest if you also disconnect the fog light switch, then assemble both pieces on the panel, then reattach the connections. The dimmer gets positioned first, then the fog light over that one mounting ear. I know because I just did this two nights ago.

Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
6,257 Posts
I just got my sky 2007 and the radio and odometer go off randomly while I’m driving and will sometimes come back on while driving so it’s not the dimmer. Mine go out completely where radio stations can’t be changed either
Welcome to the forum.

What are the ambient light conditions when this happens? In the morning, evening, and in deep shade the ambient light sensor will sometimes think that it is dark and switch to "night mode" where the radio and DIC (odometer) are only half as bright as they are in "day mode" and will be invisible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

What are the ambient light conditions when this happens? In the morning, evening, and in deep shade the ambient light sensor will sometimes think that it is dark and switch to "night mode" where the radio and DIC (odometer) are only half as bright as they are in "day mode" and will be invisible.
All times of day. Morning 4pm and night. Comes and goes. Was good all last week then off today

·
Super Moderator
6,257 Posts
All times of day. Morning 4pm and night. Comes and goes. Was good all last week then off today
The next time the radio/odometer go blank during the daylight, try rotating the headlight switch backwards momentarily to turn off the Auto Lights. The displays should appear at full brightness.

When it happens at night, do the instrument lights go off also?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes radio goes completely out. Odometer is so dim you can barely see it. Only bright light is where the seatbelt or airbag light would be in the center

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
It's a little unclear. Are you just saying that the lights go out so you cannot see the radio, or that both the lights go out AND you cannot change the radio stations - even when ypu press the channel buttons?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Rebecca,

I know you think otherwise, but just maybe the problem is related to the dimmer, specifically contact corrosion.

Remove the panel that the dimmer is mounted to. There are two 7mm screws below (easily seen) and two 7mm screws on the left side behind the black plastic pop-off panel (seen when the door is open). Then pull the panel towards the rear of the car to release it from 3 retaining clips that are located up high.

Then unscrew the three 7mm screws that hold the fog light and dimmer to that panel, then you can easily remove the connector. The dimmer portion of the connection is a circuit board. Clean the contacts with an eraser. Inspect the other portion for corrosion. If white chaulky or green crusty, you will need to clean it. I recommend soaking it in a baby food jar of CLR, then rinse with water in a jar, then blow dry with a hair dryer.

Attachment is easiest if you also disconnect the fog light switch, then assemble both pieces on the panel, then reattach the connections. The dimmer gets positioned first, then the fog light over that one mounting ear. I know because I just did this two nights ago.
For more information on lights covers please visit the website here jeepequipment.com/best-jeep-lights-covers/
Good Luck!
If the dashboard isn't lighting up at all, your car might have blown a fuse. Removing the old fuse and replacing it should get the lights working again. While the new fuse may do the trick, it could also indicate a deeper electrical problem.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hi Rebecca,

Then unscrew the three 7mm screws that hold the fog light and dimmer to that panel, then you can easily remove the connector. The dimmer portion of the connection is a circuit board. Clean the contacts with an eraser. Inspect the other portion for corrosion. If white chalky or green crusty, you will need to clean it. I recommend soaking it in a baby food jar of CLR, then rinse with water in a jar, then blow dry with a hair dryer.

Reiterating what I said earlier, and also adding that just maybe your instrument panel dimmer control unit that I previously mentioned, is faulty. It is easy enough to buy one and see if your intermittent troubles are gone.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts