Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
QUESTION RESOLVED. THE TRUNK WILL NOT OPEN WHEN THE CAR IS MOVING.

The other day, I was waiting in the car with the engine running while my wife ran into the store. When she came back, I reached down and pressed the trunk release button on the key fob and was semi-surprised when it popped open. This could be a real problem if someone were to accidentally activate the trunk release while cruising down the road, so be careful... or say bye bye to your backward opening trunk lid.

On our Mustang convertible, you cannot activate the top raising/lowering motor unless the emergency brake is engaged. GM should have put some sort of interlock mechanism in place to make sure the trunk would not open if the car is moving... perhaps they did (the car was stationary when I popped the trunk), but I'm not about to test that idea.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
You know -- I never thought of that.:eek: I wonder (as do you though) if the truck lid is "locked" while the car is in motion.:thumbs: I -- like you -- will not be the tester, thank you...:willy:
:cool:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
ggccg said:
The other day, I was waiting in the car with the engine running while my wife ran into the store. When she came back, I reached down and pressed the trunk release button on the key fob and was semi-surprised when it popped open. This could be a real problem if someone were to accidentally activate the trunk release while cruising down the road, so be careful... or say bye bye to your backward opening trunk lid.

On our Mustang convertible, you cannot activate the top raising/lowering motor unless the emergency brake is engaged. GM should have put some sort of interlock mechanism in place to make sure the trunk would not open if the car is moving... perhaps they did (the car was stationary when I popped the trunk), but I'm not about to test that idea.
My dealer told me the car had to be either in neutral and have the parking brake engaged or the engine shut off to open the trunk....

·
Registered
380 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
My dealer told me the car had to be either in neutral and have the parking brake engaged or the engine shut off to open the trunk....
That makes sense. I can't imagine GM making a car that hoist a sail while crusing down the road. I am going to try it at low speed or while in gear. Fore warned is fore armed!

·
Registered
262 Posts
ggccg said:

In the manual for the car it describes the conditions that will prevent the trunk from popping open, one of them was speed above 3 (I think) miles an hour. One of the other conditions was something about it being in gear or not, but that might make a difference if you have an Auto or Manual transmission.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SkyMan 07 said:
With your encouraging post fresh in mind, I just tested the hypothesis and it is true. The trunk did not open in forward or reverse while the car was in gear. Thanks! I feel better now.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Mine popped open. I happened to look in the rear veiw about 30ft down the road and I saw my trunk lid up in the air! Maybe I accidentally hit the keyfob before the car was moving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts