Saturn Skyline Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Back when the GMPP first came out (and they were hyping the NLS feature), I don't remember anything about it not working on the 2007s.

I was one of the early purchasers of the kit - but mine was a 2008 automatic - so I didn't pay all that much attention to the details of the NLS feature.

Still, I would think that there would have been much discussion about this - and I don't recall that at all.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
That said, I am more than open to folks who have a 2007 and got the gmpp kit and actually KNOW that they have the no lift shift feature (by that I mean that they don't suspect or think, but that they know what NLS actually is and does and that they know they have that function).
See this post from the thread that reedred posted: GM Stage II Kit review - Pontiac Solstice Forum. This was when the GMPP first came out and written by a GM platform engineer with pre-release access (my emphasis in red):

First of all, I had the following installed:

19212670 Performance Upgrade Kit for Solstice

Applicable: 2007, 2008, 2009 Solstice GXP/SKY RedLine

Retail Price: Still TBD as of 11/20/2008, expected to be less than $1000.

Installation labor: not included. Guideline is 1 hour installation.

Retail Availability:
2007-2008 Model Year estimated on or before 12/15/2008
2009 Model year estimated 2nd Quarter 2009, after introduction of 2009 2.0l turbo model in production (requires different calibration/software and certification after the production application has been sold)

Premium fuel is REQUIRED with this kit.

This performance upgrade enables no-lift shift feature.

[...]
I will say that by the reply I quoted from Trifecta they seem to be pretty damn sure that this sensor being different makes the 2007 completely unable to have the NLS.
NO. It says the 2007 is completely unable to have Trifecta's NLS.

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
Interestingly, the write up at Crate Engines (a knowledgeable dealer) 19212670, GM STAGE KIT,

says that it applies to all years from and including 2007, but below that is says: Cobalt 2008-2010

Wonder if the switch to digital sensor happened mid year in 2007, which is why the dealer needed the serial number? Although they would allow you to buy it without asking the year (I bought mine for c. $500 from Crate but see the price is now up to $700 (thanks GM - did the computer digits get more expensive in the intervening years....?)

And the additional note (my emphasis) "Now fits all 2007, 2008, 2009 and some 2010 Models. IT WILL NOT WORK WITH THE 2010 SOLSTICE. Does that imply that it previously worked on only some years but that the range has since been broadened?

Still questions to be answered, but I stand by my statement that the no lift shift isn't something you want to be using frequently and especially NOT if you don't have it in the first place from Trifecta. I would NEVER try using something I wasn't absodamnedlutely sure I had, when if I didn't it could cause expensive engine damage.

Is It possibe that with the GMPP for the 2007 you get the sensors and added boost but not NLS?? Also I am sure the Sensors have gotten more expensive, I would also guess labor rates have gone up. Still don't know why someone would pay $700 for the GMPP tune when you get the trifecta for $200.

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
Interestingly, the write up at Crate Engines (a knowledgeable dealer) 19212670, GM STAGE KIT,...
Still questions to be answered, but I stand by my statement that the no lift shift isn't something you want to be using frequently and especially NOT if you don't have it in the first place from Trifecta. I would NEVER try using something I wasn't absodamnedlutely sure I had, when if I didn't it could cause expensive engine damage.

If you have NLS and engage the clutch at say 6350 will the RPM's continue to go up, or it retarding the engine such that the RPM holds??

Reason I ask, if it does seems like an easy way to check, go out floor it, as it gets up there push the clutch and see what happens with the rpm's do they hold or keep going till it hits the rev limiter?

Don't know just trying to figure out a way to test if you have

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes, the GMPP tune has NLS included and it works on 07's, from personal experience as well.

From SF
GS Stage 1 said:
GM NLS is a SPARK INTERRUPT, so you do not need to think about the gas, just keep it mashed. And the system also phases the variable valve timing during the NLS. So between the two, the car does not lose boost at all. And it creates a very smooth, non abusive, shift going into the next gear.

Early Trifecta tunes went through a lot of available options such as Select-a-Tune, Stealth, Infinity Boost, Custom, including such things as disable DTC's and check engine lights, raise the rev limit, change AFR, etc.

Vince's feedback on Trifecta and NLS found on SF.
TBSS2008; said:
Here is quote from a post on the Cobaltss.net talking about NLS and trifecta.

Quote from Trifecta:

Many people have reported misfire problems when attempting to*no*lift*shift*after installing an aftermarket tune.**The reason this happens is because most tuners remove the boost pull-back at high RPM to improve performance.

Per the article on*no*lift*shift, the factory tune has to prevent over-revving with about 15psi or less of boost at the rev limiter.**Aftermarket tunes may raise this to as much as 22psi.**Because the ECM uses a combination of fuel and spark cut to prevent over-revving, the ECM has to intervene much more aggressively to prevent an over-rev with 22psi running through the engine vs. 15psi.**This can cause misfires.

There are two ways to solve this problem if it happens:

1.**We can re-instate the boost pull-back at high RPM
2.**The driver can stop using*no*lift*shift*

- Vince
Owner, Trifecta Performance Inc.

Full Thread link:
Problems with Trifecta Tuning using no-lift shift - Cobalt SS Network
More here. Vince mentioned the clutch position sensor back then too, but it's a red herring. Many 07 GMPP owners have posted confirmation of NLS in their cars.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f63/no-lift-shift-68205/index2.html

·
Registered
461 Posts
So....Let's all assume that what Trifecta is saying is true about the Clutch position sensor.....

For those people with the 2007 and GMPP kit.....Does the kit come with a new sensor, or different way to overcome the sensor issue? If it is indeed a different sensor it cannot be the same exact tune as it is for the 2008s, because the old sensor is based on a completely different way of communicating to the ECU.

·
Registered
461 Posts
This is where it doesn't make sense to me.

Someone mentioned it before that it's possible GMPP said that the kit was for all 2007 and up, but it just didn't point out that NLS would not work on the 2007. It sounds like it is also the same tune from 2007 to 2009 as well.

·
Super Moderator
11,040 Posts

Someone mentioned it before that it's possible GMPP said that the kit was for all 2007 and up, but it just didn't point out that NLS would not work on the 2007. It sounds like it is also the same tune from 2007 to 2009 as well.
It's highly possible (and by no means do I know enough about the ECM in the Redline to give any input into this one way or another, this is 100% speculation) that Trifecta doesn't have access to all the tables GM does. It's very possible there is a way in the 2007 to have no lift shift that Trifecta just cannot access. It is equally conceivable that GM says the tune will give you no lift shift in a 2007 and is just totally wrong. Both would be equally plausible.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts

The GMPP tune is specific to your VIN (and thus model year). So the actual code for a 2007 is no doubt different to that for a 2008. And, if you read the link posted previously, it specifically says the 2009 is different again!

All these points are moot with respect to Trifecta, though. If they say they cannot do NLS on your 2007 - for whatever reason - then I would assume they cannot. This has NOTHING to do with what GM can do.

It's highly possible (and by no means do I know enough about the ECM in the Redline to give any input into this one way or another, this is 100% speculation) that Trifecta doesn't have access to all the tables GM does. It's very possible there is a way in the 2007 to have no lift shift that Trifecta just cannot access. It is equally conceivable that GM says the tune will give you no lift shift in a 2007 and is just totally wrong. Both would be equally plausible.
I agree with all of that, Robo, except the "It is equally conceivable that GM says the tune will give you no lift shift in a 2007 and is just totally wrong.". If there was actually no NLS for the 2007's from GM, then they would be sued under the Truth In Advertising laws.

·
Super Moderator
11,040 Posts
I agree with all of that, Robo, except the "It is equally conceivable that GM says the tune will give you no lift shift in a 2007 and is just totally wrong.". If there was actually no NLS for the 2007's from GM, then they would be sued under the Truth In Advertising laws.
That's assuming someone noticed it and then had enough gumption to sue them. LOL

What would be interesting to see is if someone who had the GMPP tune in their manual 2008+ vehicle jumped into someone's manual 2006-7 Kappa with the GMPP installed and tried to use the NLS. That would at least give us an idea if it really is there or not...

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Go back to post #45 in this thread, The GM Tune does have NLS on a 2007, the General has ways of doing things that Vince at Trifecta doesn't know about.

GM's tune doesn't care about the clutch switch apparently.

:thumbs:

(Note: If I can find the reference on Solsticeforum I'll post it here.)

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
What would be interesting to see is if someone who had the GMPP tune in their manual 2008+ vehicle jumped into someone's manual 2006-7 Kappa with the GMPP installed and tried to use the NLS.
Ahem! 2006-7 Kappa with GMPP? I call foul on the 2006 part . . . :D

Didn't catch it the first time I read it.

But then I'm stuck with a box stock 2.4 Ecotec. :(

·
Registered
461 Posts
The GMPP tune is specific to your VIN (and thus model year). So the actual code for a 2007 is no doubt different to that for a 2008. And, if you read the link posted previously, it specifically says the 2009 is different again!

All these points are moot with respect to Trifecta, though. If they say they cannot do NLS on your 2007 - for whatever reason - then I would assume they cannot. This has NOTHING to do with what GM can do.

Couple of things....

First. The Trifecta tune uses your VIN as well, so I don't really know that that says anything. As far as the "sued under truth in advertising laws." There was just an article about how Robotech had to bend over backwards to get them to recall ALL of our cars. Keep in mind that only 5,000 a year were made of the Redline and how many of those actually bought the GMPP tune. I could EASILY see them saying that it would work when it wouldn't.

I realize you guys think I'm beating a dead horse here, but honestly, it must be in my DNA because I want real FACTS. Not here-say with regards to my vehicle. This forum is great, but I wound up purchasing the Trifecta because I thought (according to here-say in this forum) that it did exactly what the GMPP did but for a fraction of the price. IF it is true that the GMPP tune gives a 2007 the NLS capability then obviously the information should be put out there. I say capital IF because I honestly don't know that it does.

For instance, the OP of this thread posted that he used the NLS after having gotten the Trifecta tune for his 2007 redline. We know now that that is not true since Trifecta states they don't have NLS for 2007s. The OP probably just THOUGHT that he had NLS.

I'm wondering if the other folks who say they have it in their 2007s THINK they have it and they actually don't. That is why I'm trying to get some definitive information. That way no one will make the wrong purchase based on misinformation about this again.

·
Super Moderator
11,040 Posts
Ahem! 2006-7 Kappa with GMPP? I call foul on the 2006 part . . . :D

Didn't catch it the first time I read it.

But then I'm stuck with a box stock 2.4 Ecotec. :(

I keep forgetting this is an LNF only thing. Yes, 2007+ So use to always saying 2006-2010. LOL

Couple of things....

First. The Trifecta tune uses your VIN as well, so I don't really know that that says anything. As far as the "sued under truth in advertising laws." There was just an article about how Robotech had to bend over backwards to get them to recall ALL of our cars. Keep in mind that only 5,000 a year were made of the Redline and how many of those actually bought the GMPP tune. I could EASILY see them saying that it would work when it wouldn't.

I realize you guys think I'm beating a dead horse here, but honestly, it must be in my DNA because I want real FACTS. Not here-say with regards to my vehicle. This forum is great, but I wound up purchasing the Trifecta because I thought (according to here-say in this forum) that it did exactly what the GMPP did but for a fraction of the price. IF it is true that the GMPP tune gives a 2007 the NLS capability then obviously the information should be put out there. I say capital IF because I honestly don't know that it does.

For instance, the OP of this thread posted that he used the NLS after having gotten the Trifecta tune for his 2007 redline. We know now that that is not true since Trifecta states they don't have NLS for 2007s. The OP probably just THOUGHT that he had NLS.

I'm wondering if the other folks who say they have it in their 2007s THINK they have it and they actually don't. That is why I'm trying to get some definitive information. That way no one will make the wrong purchase based on misinformation about this again.
Which is why I say we need someone with a 2008+ Kappa who knows how to use the NLS properly try out a 2007 LNF Kappa with the GMPP tune and see if it does the same thing. The information out there is GM saying the GMPP has it. That's the information we have. What we are looking for now is collaboration from a third party of that information.

Like we said, GMPP could have it when Trifecta doesn't. GMPP knows more about that ECM than Trifecta does.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I keep forgetting this is an LNF only thing. Yes, 2007+ So use to always saying 2006-2010. LOL

Which is why I say we need someone with a 2008+ Kappa who knows how to use the NLS properly try out a 2007 LNF Kappa with the GMPP tune and see if it does the same thing. The information out there is GM saying the GMPP has it. That's the information we have. What we are looking for now is collaboration from a third party of that information.

Like we said, GMPP could have it when Trifecta doesn't. GMPP knows more about that ECM than Trifecta does.
I am 100% with you! If we could get someone with a 2008 GMPP who knows what the NLS is like, and then get someone with the 2007 GMPP we could definitively put this puppy to bed!

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Bring me a 2007 with the GMPP and I can put it to rest.

I had a 2008 and could hit the NLS all day every day.

I also have HP Tuners and can Log the car while doing it to "SHOW" what the engine is doing.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts