Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
A manufacturer can't set the prices for independent retailers without restraint of trade issues. That's why they are "suggested" prices. This is intended to keep prices low by fostering competition. In this case however, it may have the opposite impact.:banghead:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Dealers won't gouge customers ...

Ok, GM/Saturn can't set prices, that's forbidden by law, manufacturer only can give MSRP.
But no law can force GM delivering cars to a dealer they don't want to.

If Saturn General Manager Jill Lajdziak will have an eye on the forum, she gets enough informations to make her promise real.:thumbs:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Wishful thinking on Saturns part. (Consumers especially wish!) but not only illegal, won't happen... huge number of dealers marked up the base Sky, and those didn't "fit with the brand (image)" either.

Anyone want to see how fast Jill Lajdziak and anyone else at Saturn or GM goes to jail if they try to enforce or cooerce this restraint of trade in violation of antitrust laws?

What a joke...

Again, we wish!!

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
enforcement is different than making a statement

I do't see how it could be a violation for the parent company to recommend to it's distributors that they should sell the car at MSRP - now, if GM tried to penalize any dealer who chose to sell above MSRP that would be different.

In the supply and demand game though, would not the supply at a dealership charging above MSRP exceed the demand of buyers at that dealership? especially in today's world of internet connectivity? If someone arrives at a Saturn dealer without ever having heard of or seen a Sky before and wants to pay $5k over sticker that may be okay. But for anyone not making an on the spot impluse decision how hard woudl it be to find another dealer not selling above MSRP?

Maybe someone could buy a Sky over MSRP then sue the dealership becuase they were led to believe by years of marketing that Saturn's no haggle price meant everyone pays the same $ for identically equipped vehicles and when they foudn out they paid more than someone else it was a violation of the public trust.

On the other hand - isn't Saturns policy of charging only MSRP and GM settings that MSRP the same for all dealers basically the same thing as price collusion? and what if price collusion is done so that the consumer gets the best possible deal? If GM had no interest in setting some kind off guideline for what dealers should sell a Saturn for then why have an MSRP in the first place?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Lil GTO said:
In the supply and demand game though, would not the supply at a dealership charging above MSRP exceed the demand of buyers at that dealership? especially in today's world of internet connectivity?
Not neccessarily... we've read on here where multiple dealers in some large areas have decided to charge over MSRP for the base SKY. Especially with the extremely limited supply of RedLines, it would appear to me that some would-be buyers might either have to forgo buying one at MSRP for quite awhile, or pay the bucks. It all depends on how quick you want one, and whether you can find an MSRP dealer who doesn't already have more ppl on their waiting lists than they have allocations available.

Again, wishful thinking on GM's part... large numbers of Saturn dealers are charging over MSRP (or requiring thousands in unwanted dealer "extras") on the more available base SKY... and quite a few "educated" forum members here have paid those premiums. Who on here is gullible enough to believe it won't happen even more so for the more limited RedLine?

Congratulations to those ppl who will be fortunate to get one both early and at MSRP...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I do't see how it could be a violation for the parent company to recommend to it's distributors that they should sell the car at MSRP - now, if GM tried to penalize any dealer who chose to sell above MSRP that would be different.

In the supply and demand game though, would not the supply at a dealership charging above MSRP exceed the demand of buyers at that dealership? especially in today's world of internet connectivity? If someone arrives at a Saturn dealer without ever having heard of or seen a Sky before and wants to pay $5k over sticker that may be okay. But for anyone not making an on the spot impluse decision how hard woudl it be to find another dealer not selling above MSRP?
You're quite right. GM can recommend anything they want to to their dealers, as long as what they're recommneding isn't illegal. As to penalizing their dealers who ask over MSRP, they can justify it on the basis of several things, the most obvious being that for the dealers to do so would create
a bad image in the public's mind about Saturn, thus damaging Saturn's reputation. The dealers wouldn't stand a chance in hell of prevailing over that
argument.
As to the supply of over MSRP cars exceeding the demand, I seriously
doubt that for the near term and perhaps longer, the supply will come close to meeting demand. Price gouging can only occur WHEN THE SUPPLIER HAS A LOCAL MONOPOLY on the supply of the product, be it gasoline or cars or anything. In the absence of shortages or monopolies, a free market automatically prevents price gouging, as long as the consumer is paying attention. Unfortunately, for the Saturn (and Solstice) it's quite obvious that
the supply is short and won't be alleviated anytime soon. However, there are
penalties to anyone gouging his customers, especially if repeat business means anything, or local word of mouth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I find the no price fixing BS. Bose does this every day 365 days a year. They set the price you can sell at. If you don't sell at what they state is the MAP price then you won't be selling Bose for long.

The dealer scum that are marking up 5-8k are ruining their loyal fan base to make an extra 30-50k on the Sky each year? I know Saturn of Manchester lost a customer for their service department. I've spent over 1500.00 this year in service alone. Kiss that money good bye as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Several of the dealers near me are using various techniques to charge over MSRP for the base Sky. I'd love to see GM put a stop to it, but I'm not aware of a single instance ever with any car of any division where they've done so.

Their release is just a device to deflect criticism.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The difference in the Bose situation (and in many electronics manufacturers) is that they set the MINIMUM price. They do not set the MAXIMUM price to sell the product. This puts everyone on the same footing and therefore is not impermissible.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Mine ordered at msrp on contract

Supply and demand is correct. Dealers that sell for msrp would logically have more demand, lower price more volume. K-Mart sells more units than Macy's. So saturn would be within there rights to send more to the high demand stores while sending none or a smaller amount to low demand stores. as the word spreads more and more of these dealers that charge over msrp are having customers back out to go to reputable dealers. so the cars will eventually sit at those places. if you don't move em they won't send more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts