Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Worked on the car this weekend and accidentally left the car on accessory mode over night and drained the Optima Red Top "Red Joke" battery completely dry. So much so that a battery pack wouldn't jump start it, so I jumped it with another car. Fired up, now the radio will not power on. There's nothing, no lights, no responses to the power button now matter how many times you press it. I removed the 15A fuse from the passenger side floor panel on the BCM fuse set, removed the battery cables from the car, let it sit for 30 minutes, came back and plugged everything back in...still no radio.

How do I resurrect this radio?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Did you try to put the car in accessory mode and turning the radio on there? Worked for this guy and looking at the comments has worked for all sorts of brands including GM vehicles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you try to put the car in accessory mode and turning the radio on there? Worked for this guy and looking at the comments has worked for all sorts of brands including GM vehicles.
I just tried his suggestion. Albeit, you can't turn the key backwards in our cars to go into accessory mode, you must go forward one mode from the OFF position to go into ACC. Turned the car to ACC, nothing. No lights, no power, nothing. Held the power button in for about 10 seconds hoping it would power on, nothing.

·
Registered
17,515 Posts
Is it possible the Vin number is wiped out...and may need to be programmed....I know u said the lights to the radio do not go on...this is reaching. Anything and everything is possible with a computer in a car.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Several times I have started my Sky, radio plays fine but there are no lights on at all. Pressing a few random buttons sometimes gets it to light up. Turning headlights off and will also work. Once radio is lit up I can then turn the headlights back on. Different than your issue as mine does play, just no lights at times.

·
Super Moderator
11,295 Posts
Worked on the car this weekend and accidentally left the car on accessory mode over night and drained the Optima Red Top "Red Joke" battery completely dry. So much so that a battery pack wouldn't jump start it, so I jumped it with another car. Fired up, now the radio will not power on. There's nothing, no lights, no responses to the power button now matter how many times you press it. I removed the 15A fuse from the passenger side floor panel on the BCM fuse set, removed the battery cables from the car, let it sit for 30 minutes, came back and plugged everything back in...still no radio.

How do I resurrect this radio?
Just going to throw this out here but did you try replacing the fuse for the radio? I know you mentioned you removed a 15A fuse but not which one...even if it looked good try replacing it with a new 15A fuse and see what happens. Generally speaking a radio doesn't just go out with a battery drain. Simple stuff first.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it possible the Vin number is wiped out...and may need to be programmed....I know u said the lights to the radio do not go on...this is reaching. Anything and everything is possible with a computer in a car.
Maybe that's possible, but I'm highly doubtful of it. Typically, we would see a lock notification on the OEM head unit. This is the complete absence of anything.

Several times I have started my Sky, radio plays fine but there are no lights on at all. Pressing a few random buttons sometimes gets it to light up. Turning headlights off and will also work. Once radio is lit up I can then turn the headlights back on. Different than your issue as mine does play, just no lights at times.
LOL, we've all been there with this infamous defect. Yes, I've had that issue for many years now, power cycling the unit will always bring the screen back. This is a completely different issue. There's absolutely no audio and no output being driven to the speakers as far as I can tell.

Just going to throw this out here but did you try replacing the fuse for the radio? I know you mentioned you removed a 15A fuse but not which one...even if it looked good try replacing it with a new 15A fuse and see what happens. Generally speaking a radio doesn't just go out with a battery drain. Simple stuff first.
Yep, same line of logic when I got to the BCM. I took out the 15A fuse, and even though it looked good, I replaced it with another known good 15A fuse, just in case.

·
Super Moderator
11,295 Posts
Yep, same line of logic when I got to the BCM. I took out the 15A fuse, and even though it looked good, I replaced it with another known good 15A fuse, just in case.
I kind of figured that's what you meant but after going three pages on a cold idle issue only to find out the owner put Diesel in the gas tank I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. LOL

Have you checked power at the fuse? Just make sure you're getting power across the fuse at least? Only other thing I can think of is a bad head unit or 12v power across the OBDII signal wire...but that makes a bunch of **** go wonky...LOL

·
Super Moderator
5,937 Posts
First, although this ship has sailed, I'll say that I think it is a bad idea to jump-start a car with a dead or severely depleted battery because of voltage spikes and the heavy drain on the alternator. It is better to charge the battery first.

I don't know if this applies to you, or if it will make a difference, but you might also try BCM Fuse 6 (20A) AMP, and UFB Fuse 56 (10A) RKE/S BAND.

Do your turn signal "clicker" and warning chimes work?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have same problem...Replaced dead battery. Radio and Warning chimes along with turn signal clicker no longer operate...We truly need help on this if it exists.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 Solstice - SAME ISSUE here is what I found....but the Service center is telling me is faulty radio unit $75000 .....

I own a 2006 Pontiac Solstice. Recently the battery had to be replaced and now the radio will not power on, there is no audible chime when I put the key in the ignition or when I use the signals or hazard flashers. No radio means no clock, CD player, or XM radio. Any suggestions?

If this is the "Factory Radio"
The Unit has lost communication with the BCM (body control module)
The BCM powers the Unit On & also provides the Chime thru the Radio
There is only "one" way to get this unit to come on
GM Dealer will have to "Reprogram" the Unit
Dealer connects scan tool
downloads info from BCM & Unit
Uploads to GM Computer
Downloads info from GM
Uploads info & unlock to vehicle

some dealers charge 1/2 - 1 hour labor

This "has to be done" via a GM Dealer.........

Otherwise you can replace the Unit with Aftermarket Unit & DATA / Wiring Harness & you do not need Dealer Programming

1 - 14 of 14 Posts