Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm amazed no one has been concerned that GM can introduce a new model in this day and age with no side air bags. They will shortly be required by law for all new cars. The cost is minimal compared to the lives they save. At the very least they should be an option. Should we write GM and ask that they be made available??

·
Registered
40 Posts
Now I'm not going to disagree on the merits of having a side impact airbag as I would appreciate it if I ever was t-boned in any car.

That being said, I've seen the demo of the side air bagh on my Acura, and I don't think it would help me at all in an accident. It only comes out a little past your shoulder when it deploys.

So I put my trust in the reinforced doors and frame construction even with side ipact bags. Hopefully hydroformed frame rails blah blah blah will cut it on this car.

That and I've seen 2 Mazda Miata's that have been t-boned and the door frames on those cars were strong enough to save the people I know who were in em when hit.

Ok, and last point, my mom was t-boned in the driver door 2 years ago in her saturn L300 by a lady who ran a red light at 45mph. My mom walked away with only a scratch or two and a painful flaring in her long ago reconstructed knee (think 1965 era for surgery). THE DOOR HELD UP!!! To me, this makes it seem like Saturn builds a strong car, and from my feel of the tight frame on the Sky and my old Miata, I'll never lose a night of sleep not having a side impact airbag.

Either way, if the sky came with them, I wouldn't ask them to be removed, and would think about it as much as I do with my Acura, which is never. And I'd be happy to sign a petition asking GM to make it standard equipment. :)

-Sean

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
If I could have ordered my car without ANY airbags I would have. Seatbelts do a fine job. The odds of having an accident where an airbag would "make the difference" are very small. The odds of having an accident where a side airbag will make a difference are smaller still.

At some point you reach the threshold of diminishing returns. You can be safest by never leaving the house. Or, if you have to leave the house, do it in a bigass SUV so that you'll always get the better in an accident.

If you choose to drive a SKY rather than an SUV, and you get injured or killed in an accident where it can be conclusively proved that a side airbag would have made all the difference... Well then, I owe you one. Until that time, however, don't impose undo requirements on all of us who can intelligently make our own choices. Once you presume to make decisions to "protect the ignorant" you start down a road where somebody is going to say "SKYs are really dangerous in rollovers. We should pass a law to outlaw all convertibles and roadsters to save lives."

No thank you.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I agree with the OP, airbags are proven to reduce injuries in most cases. I personally have been hit head on by some moron who decided to jump the center divider for an offset frontal impact totaling speeds of approx 115 mph. I got the worst of it as I had the smaller vehicle but the only reason I didn't have head trauma was the airbags.

When it comes down to it you'll be glad for any little bit of extra help you can get, no matter how small.

·
Registered
59 Posts
IF you want to really save lives then make anti-lock brakes standard. A seatbelt and anti-lock brakes will save a lot more lives than any airbag.
I was very disappointed when GM a couple of years ago stopped having anti-lock brakes on all its cars and trucks. Its a real shame.

Side Airbags or a reinforced door? I will take the reinforced door any day over an airbag.

I know that the new generation of airbags have been slowed down. But it is a crime how many people had to die when airbags were first released. Not because of the auto industry, but because of our government. GM, FORD and Chrysler all went before Congressional committees to change airbag requirements in the 80s. How many children died because of the government blindly dictating without first making sure they were not causing a bigger problem?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Why should it be a question of one or the other? Personally I'll take the reinforced door and airbags if possible. Just because seatbelts and anti-lock brakes save more lives doesn't mean that airbags are worthless.

The grand solution is to let computers drive the cars so you take the moron factor out but unfortunately that is not here or now and if it was then an awesome, fun car like the sky would be kind of worthless.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Ever since the govenment has stepped in and started requiring safety equipment people have felt more and more safe in their cars, and as a result have become more careless about their driving, I say put the driver in place the front bumper and see how careful he will drive....
If you made all safety features optional on cars not half the people would buy them... forcing something on someone that does not want it is Un-American...
If you want side airbags go buy something else...
otherwise just never run a redlight or stop sign and always approach an intersection like someone may run the light or stop sign... then you shall never need the side airbags...
Carelessness is why we have all these safety devices, and the more we have the more careless we become...

The most important safety device is your brain... USE IT.....

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Relative weight

(no - not how much your relatives weigh).

Side air bags would be more usefu lin a larger heavier car than a smaller lighter car - I would guess - consider how much of the impact force your 2800 or os pounds of Sky hitting a Ford Expedition weighing 5800 pounds would be disipated at the point of impact by way of metal bending and such vs how much of that energy woudl be transferred to pushing the Expedition sideways. Now consider the reverse - the 5800 pound Expedition stirkes your Sky - I would hazard a guess that the Sky will end up a lot farther away from where it started than in the reverse scenario - so how much intrusion into the interior would happen in each case?

Also, although you could have airbags come out of the door - or maybe from over yoru shoulder - in a convertible I am not sure there woudl be any way to have the side curtain type airbags that come out from above the side window as is done on some vehilces.

Not saying it isn't entirely about cost and marketing etc.

Does anyone remember that when seat belts were first introduced, some automotive industry folks were concerned that adding such a feature would cause the public to think the product itself was unsafe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts