Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was talking to a few of my car buddies (people in the know) and they said even though Pontiac will be building the Solstice GT hardtop that Saturn would receive no such car. Only Pontiac will get the GT version and Saturn will have the Redline convertible as it's premium car. I guess we are stuck with the convertible :confused:

Hopefully, a hardtop bolt-on will come out and we can at least get a winterized version of the car.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
A hard top (Coupe) Solstice is 100% rumor at this point.

The only real evidence we've seen of a hard top version is a removable hard top for the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
CarJunkie said:
Was talking to a few of my car buddies (people in the know) and they said even though Pontiac will be building the Solstice GT hardtop that Saturn would receive no such car. Only Pontiac will get the GT version and Saturn will have the Redline convertible as it's premium car. I guess we are stuck with the convertible :confused:

Hopefully, a hardtop bolt-on will come out and we can at least get a winterized version of the car.
Got another rumor for you from MOTOR TREND, I believe. GM is going to import into BRITAIN a coupe built in the U.S. Maybe badged as Vauxhall or OPELGT. :D

·
Registered
820 Posts
Man that hard top GM is planning is ugly! Has anyone here seen the original Solstice concept? It was a hard top with a hatchback. It actually looked good. This new hardtop makes the solstice look like the chevy nomad concept(Yuck). :D

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
NOSKY said:
Have you seen the TIGRA Twin Top? Power hard top and GMs' hoggin it for across the pond. Go to www.opel.de or here there's already a better SKY hardtop no less . http://www.hydro.com/en/press_room/features/opel_speedster.htm :nono:

Better speed, way better gas milage.
The Tigra Twin Top has been discussed before, it's top in no way can be used on the Sky. Also the Opel Speedster is a mid engine car based off the Lotus Elise chasis, so it's components will also not work on this car, and is also far more expensive.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Nemesis said:
Man that hard top GM is planning is ugly! Has anyone here seen the original Solstice concept? It was a hard top with a hatchback. It actually looked good. This new hardtop makes the solstice look like the chevy nomad concept(Yuck). :D
... or that car used by the Ambiguously Gay Duo. :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not trying to blow smoke up anyone's a** here. Just repeating what people who seem to know what they are talking about told me. The Solstice GT will be a fixed roof platform that will conform to race track regulations for various club specs. I just assumed it would be running in the same class as the MX-5, but maybe it will run more in the Mazda 3 or 6 class instead.

First time I seen the bolt-on top option, reminds me of the Z3 M Coupe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
brentil said:
The Tigra Twin Top has been discussed before, it's top in no way can be used on the Sky. Also the Opel Speedster is a mid engine car based off the Lotus Elise chasis, so it's components will also not work on this car, and is also far more expensive.
I guess my points are that 1. a U.S. sellable Tigra appeals to a SKY customer wanting a coupe. 2. The SKY is in many ways a speedster adapted for US consumption and if that's the case then the hardtop diesel speedster is a couple a steps away from a US saleable product. A lot of the engineering is done!

As a customer seeing the data and possibility of a hardtop, Motor Trend article of a coupe GT built in the US and exported to BRITIAN! Looking something like this thumbnail.... :brentil: I think you can count out some of the midwest for SKY orders without at least a removeable hardtop.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nemesis said:
I agree. If they proceed with that hard top what a waste of a beautiful and graceful car :nono:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
NOSKY said:
2. The SKY is in many ways a speedster adapted for US consumption and if that's the case then the hardtop diesel speedster is a couple a steps away from a US saleable product. A lot of the engineering is done!
I'm not really understanding this statement. The Sky/Kappa platform is in no way related to the Opel Speedster. The Kappa platform is an all new platform designed specificly for the Solstice as a RWD front engine design. The only thing in common is they both use GM ECOTEC engines, but they're defintely different engines. The Sky's relation is to the Vauxhall VX Lightning show car which is a Kappa car designed by Vauxhall (sister company of Opel, they sell the VX220 which is the same car as the Opel Speedster just designed differently). The exterior design concept was based off of the Vauxhall show car, and that was it. The VX220/Speedster is based off the Lotus Elise chasis which is a car that sells here in the USA at over $40k and was designed as a space frame mid-engine RWD design. It took Lotus years and $millions to make the Elise USA saleable. The car that came to the USA even had to have it's bumpers and lights requirments waived to give them more time to design them to be USA legal since it would take another 2 years and more money.

There were some pics of Vauxhall and Opel Kappa based show cars, but these were supposedly just Solstice chasis in essence with Opel or Vauxhall skins on them for design purposes. They were not actually road worthy saleable cars.

·
Registered
623 Posts
GM will eventually release a Kappa Coupe, weather it will be a Solstice, a Sky or a completly new model is up in the air. Remember this platform is for small runs, so any additions take away from other models.

Personally I think this plant should be run in a pure "JIT method", meaning unless someone orders a car, you don't build anything.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
DuSpinnst said:
Personally I think this plant should be run in a pure "JIT method", meaning unless someone orders a car, you don't build anything.
That's kinda how they're running right now, since they still have something like 10k backlogged cars I bet. :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
DuSpinnst said:
Remember this platform is for small runs, so any additions take away from other models.
That's just due to the hydro forming of the sheet metal, right? What if they used the traditional method of die stamping body panels for another version to be produced in much greater numbers. The car would have to be something that could sell in large enough numbers to justify the expense.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Rik said:
That's just due to the hydro forming of the sheet metal, right? What if they used the traditional method of die stamping body panels for another version to be produced in much greater numbers. The car would have to be something that could sell in large enough numbers to justify the expense.
Supposedly, sheet hydroforming allowed for greater flexibility in forming metal (like the hood, decklid, deep draws on the quarter panels, etc.), for about 1/3 to 1/5 of the investment of traditional stamping investment.

Usually, you need a high profit vehicle (A cadillac or GT40, for example, or XLR...) to justify low volume with traditional dies. (one of the theories is that because the MX-5 and S2000 are global vehicles, they get significant profit in the Japanese and European markets that offset investment cost, and that they break-even or even lose a bit on every car sold in the US - that's only theory and speculation by automotive insiders who wish to remain nameless).

Or, you need volumes in excess of 100,000 for medium to low profit (like a Cobalt or HHR or Focus) to justify the investment of traditional dies.

It is claimed that some of the panels on the Solstice and Sky could not be made by traditional dies, though I find this somewhat suspect... perhaps instead of "could not be", the term "would be very difficult to" should be substituted.

And "would be very difficult" means +++$$$, so to make complicated shapes like the Solstice/Sky might mean a 50% premium on dies, more die stations (for complicated multi-stage processional dies), and more investment.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Hopefully some of the sketches of aftermarket hard tops will come to life. Perhaps they will fit both cars. Both cars are prime for aftermarket parts. The car is (hopefully) inexpensive so Joe Average can buy it. The combined production number and the similarities in the car will likely make available a lot of Kool aftermarket stuff.:drool:

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Gm

I think GM is testing the water with both the Sol and SKY, watch the price go through the roof next year, after they find out what the market in the U.S. will support. That could also explain why so few cars are coming out the pipe...:confused:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts