Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Team,

I am thinking about upgrading the head-unit and speakers on my non-monsoon 2007 Redline. I am looking at the Alpine ILX-W650 Package which includes ILX-W650 multimedia receiver, dockable KTA-450 amplifier, and amp wiring kit

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_700650450/Alpine-ILX-W650-Package.html

The Alpine S-S65 speakers for the door Do

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SS65/Alpine-S-S65.html

Back-up Camera
Jensen BUCAM300AJ
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_110BCAM300/Jensen-BUCAM300AJ.html

Thoughts?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ive upgraded my door speakers/tweeters to Memphis. I first went with M-Class M60C's. Then i changed them out for VIV60C's.

The Memphis VIV series is a step above. But they are pricey. They do fit perfectly in our doors though, tweeters needed drilled out. not a hard job.

For amp im changing out to the Memphis VIV900.5, but saving up for that sucker now. Subs im doing lower profile PR10's. Not as good, but the power reference line has low profile subs, VIV doesnt. That monster could barely be mounted in the seat, let alone behind it.

There is a ton out there that will work well, i personally love what Memphis offers. But everyone will have their own opinion. Ive heard a couple cars that have the Kappa Infinity system in them, sounds amazing. Expensive, but cheaper than VIV Class.

As far as backup camera's go...get on amazon. Have fun. there are 1000's and you can do about anything you want if you have the money for it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I recently upgraded the head unit to the Alpine iLX-W650 and had Crutchfield install it (I live in Charlottesville).

I did not update any of the speakers and got them to hook everything up except OnStar.

For one thing, it really modernized the car, having built in bluetooth and Android Auto, etc. It also really woke of the exiting speakers.

The other thing is that there is not the extreme wash out on the display like the OEM unit. Full sunlight, top down and I can still see the screen.

Forgot, also had them install a backup camera. Nice!

·
Registered
44 Posts
That would sound good. I went from stock to a Pioneer X8500BHS, didn't even swap out the factory speakers or add an amp. It sounded worlds better. With some door speakers and an amp it would sound sick. JL makes some good class T (small) amps. And you could mount either one of theirs, or an Alpine shallow mount sub behind the seat - if you wanted to go that route. I've heard a JL W3 10" sub and it sounded better than my old Kicker Comp VR. Not cheap, but if you want lows a shallow sub would be awesome. My next upgrade's door speakers and an amp. I've been stuck thinking between Alpine or JL. Then this thread made me remember how much I use to love Memphis.

One word of advice, if you use your steering wheel controls make sure to get the module. I don't believe any HU works with our cars steering wheel controls out of the gate. Mine was pretty cheap, I think around $40. There are various brands, and some work different than others, so research if you want to add this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recently upgraded the head unit to the Alpine iLX-W650 and had Crutchfield install it (I live in Charlottesville).

I did not update any of the speakers and got them to hook everything up except OnStar.

For one thing, it really modernized the car, having built in bluetooth and Android Auto, etc. It also really woke of the exiting speakers.

The other thing is that there is not the extreme wash out on the display like the OEM unit. Full sunlight, top down and I can still see the screen.

Forgot, also had them install a backup camera. Nice!
Awesome to hear ?. Thanks. How's the sound with the top down?

·
Registered
134 Posts
For those of you who have changed your OEM stereo did you find your new unit easier to read in direct sunlight when the top was down?

·
Registered
272 Posts
For those of you who have changed your OEM stereo did you find your new unit easier to read in direct sunlight when the top was down?
Mine is definitely "Easier", have a pioneer touch, but its still not really easy to read. That's just the nature of location and positioning of the stereo sadly.
On the other hand, get in any new Mazda and try to operate the stereo and you will NEVER complain about the location of ours again. Maybe its not the easiest to read all the time, but it doesn't take up half my windshield and the controls aren't behind me in the middle of the damn console, on a touch screen that you cant touch if the vehicle is in drive!

Sorry, just my rant for the day.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Been looking for a 2DIN head-unit for years, nothing really piqued my interest to date. Most Android head-units have ****ty DACs inside (helps reduce cost but i'd like something good in that dept) and the none-android models have limited functions. Not to mention that i really need USB 3.0 connectivity and up until recently i couldn't find a head-unit with something like that.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Been looking for a 2DIN head-unit for years, nothing really piqued my interest to date. Most Android head-units have ****ty DACs inside (helps reduce cost but i'd like something good in that dept) and the none-android models have limited functions. Not to mention that i really need USB 3.0 connectivity and up until recently i couldn't find a head-unit with something like that.
The one im currently using is the Pioneer NX2400...I think that's right
Its pretty good. Don't know what all features youre looking for. For me, I get in the car, it registers spotify on my phone, and picks up the playlist that it was on and starts playing. I have full spotify control through the radio app. though I never have to touch it, it does all that automatically.

that's my wants. lol

·
Registered
642 Posts
The one im currently using is the Pioneer NX2400...I think that's right
Its pretty good. Don't know what all features youre looking for. For me, I get in the car, it registers spotify on my phone, and picks up the playlist that it was on and starts playing. I have full spotify control through the radio app. though I never have to touch it, it does all that automatically.

that's my wants. lol
Don't really care about Spotify, i buy songs digitally and i have a large collection so i will have every single one either on a USB flash drive or a microSD card.

However i want GPS (specific android apps) and a few other things so i have to go Android. But like i said the DACs used in 90% of the models are lame (most people don't even know what a DAC is, but here's the thing, if you do know you want something good).

·
Registered
272 Posts
Don't really care about Spotify, i buy songs digitally and i have a large collection so i will have every single one either on a USB flash drive or a microSD card.

However i want GPS (specific android apps) and a few other things so i have to go Android. But like i said the DACs used in 90% of the models are lame (most people don't even know what a DAC is, but here's the thing, if you do know you want something good).
To each their own, I just have a hard time understanding what apps you need while driving a car?
I have navigation, voice to call, voice to text, and stereo and input control through microphone. All integrated to my phone, which again, wirelessly connects when I get in the car.

I just cant understand what else people want in a car?

·
Registered
642 Posts
To each their own, I just have a hard time understanding what apps you need while driving a car?
I have navigation, voice to call, voice to text, and stereo and input control through microphone. All integrated to my phone, which again, wirelessly connects when I get in the car.

I just cant understand what else people want in a car?
Like i said GPS is one thing but navigation in regular head-units is far from accurate (not to mention they lack many features you find in android apps). Another one is the music player used, there are android music apps out there that allow you to do many things you can't with regular head-units. And then you have car diagnostics apps (which you can connect with a bluetooth OBD-II reader) and generally whatever you can have on your phone you can have on an android head-unit. Since however android head-units have bad DACs i don't see me finding something good anytime soon.

For now however i have paired an FiiO M11 audio player (has a very good DAC inside, one you can't find in any head-unit) with an FiiO BTR3 bluetooth adapter (listening via LDAC) and that's how i listen to music in my car. Granted the stock speakers are not great but you can hear the difference between using the Monsoon and the FiiO M11. Honestly if the M11 had an 7 inch screen i wouldn't bother looking for a head-unit but its 5.15" screen is not large enough for me (not for a permanent solution).

·
Super Moderator
5,749 Posts
I'm going to guess that you don't drive much with the top down.

I'm sure its not up to your standard, but I have an Atoto A6 Pro that i am really happy with.

And yes, i do know what a DAC is.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I'm going to guess that you don't drive much with the top down.

I'm sure its not up to your standard, but I have an Atoto A6 Pro that i am really happy with.

And yes, i do know what a DAC is.
I do but the M11 gives quite a bit of volume boost over the standard one of the Monsoon so the speakers are doing even better.

Anyways i just don't want to spend money on something worse than my current audio configuration that's pretty much it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Since I'm transplanted from above the border in Ontario to Ohio you can call me a Dumb Ass Canadian. That's the only DAC I'm familiar with.

·
Super Moderator
5,749 Posts
Ok i'll bite, what's a DAC?:|
Digital to Analog Converter

It is the heart of a media player as it creates the audio signal that you can hear.
Since I'm transplanted from above the border in Ontario to Ohio you can call me a Dumb Ass Canadian. That's the only DAC I'm familiar with.
That works too, but in a different context ....

·
Registered
642 Posts
Ok i'll bite, what's a DAC?:|
DAC is pretty much responsible for the audio quality send to the speakers. Of course DAC alone can't do miracles, you need to have an equally good audio source (lossless audio files) for the best results.

The good news is that even with our stock speakers there's a significant difference when using a good DAC so you really don't have to spend more on that too (the better the speakers however, the better the end result).

However like i said most android players have lame DAC's inside, a few have some "decent" ones but again nothing to get excited over. To date i haven't found one 2DIN android head-unit with a good DAC, at least not up to 600Euros which is how much I'd be willing to spend on one (still i doubt there's one even for as much as 1000Euros, android head-unit manufacturers don't seem to be interested enough).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally got the Alpine upgrade a couple of weeks ago. Great sound. Upgrading the head unit really helps bring a modern feel to the cabin.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts