Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone -

I've had my SKY a month and had noticed that the coolant temperature (on the dash display) has always seemed to run between about 187-189 degrees. All of a sudden tonight it is spiking up to 214-216 at idle and it comes back down at cruising speeds (40-50mph). Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? The coolant level in the reservoir seems full and there are no signs of steam or leaking. Any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I noticed mine running in the 210 range last week and that was higher than before. I think I was doing a little more stop and go than before though. The ambient was hotter then too.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
ksky said:
Hi Everyone -

I've had my SKY a month and had noticed that the coolant temperature (on the dash display) has always seemed to run between about 187-189 degrees. All of a sudden tonight it is spiking up to 214-216 at idle and it comes back down at cruising speeds (40-50mph). Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? The coolant level in the reservoir seems full and there are no signs of steam or leaking. Any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks.
Do you think it is because it is summertime and hotter than ... out there....Skip... :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yeah that is normal. Average operating temperature is about 190 or so. Since the past few days have been rather hot, the radiator tends to not be as efficient. The air passing through the radiator is much warmer hence it wont be able to cool the coolant as much.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
ksky said:
Hi Everyone -

Thanks.
I agree that it's gotta be external temperature. I've been driving during the day when it's hot and at night when it's cooler, and that's pretty much my daily pattern. Over 200 during the day, in the 180s in the cooler evenings. Remember, since the cooling system is pressurized that the coolant won't boil until well over 212. (The fact that it's all high-tech gunky stuff and not just water helps, too.) I probably wouldn't freak until at least 230 and probably beyond that for a bit - and I bet there'd be an idiot light and a pressure blowout of steam coming out of the cooling system and emerging from the engine compartment before the engine was damaged.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Just another reason not to mount the frount plate. They need all the air they can get.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still Checking . .

Thanks to those of you who replied so quickly. I was thinking maybe one of the fuses or relays that support the electric cooling fan might have popped, but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary when I checked the fuse block under the hood this morning. I'm sure the fans were not on after I shut the car off in the garage last night, though (?). I'll probably call my dealer to check with them - even though it was 105 last night when I was driving home, it'll take me a while to get used to seeing the temp at 216!

Thanks again. . . Happy cruisin'

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Operating temp

Years ago a friend of mine was told by the car dealer that her Tans-Am needed a new radiator because it was overheating. She took it to a local service station - they asked it she did a lot of highway driving - yes - they looked under the car and found paper and other debris that had collected on the radiator - they washed it off - and no more overheating.

I had an Acura Legend that was overheating - turned out to the be fan control module - had two fans - the primary circuit failed - but the second fan - which would kick on when the A/C was running still worked - but I did not know that and tried running with the A/C off to reduce load on the engine - didn't work - combined with a slow oil leak that I did not realize was happening eventually led to enigne failure.

Generally speaking while water will boil at 212 degress F - but that is at standard pressure at sea level - the coolant in your car is not just water and is pressurized. Somewhere in the 192 degrees range is where the thermostat will open and allow coolant to flow from the engine through the radiator. Which does not mean the temp cannot get higher than that - just that below that temp you do not need to run any cooler.

From: http://autorepair.about.com/cs/coolingsystem/a/aa081101a_2.htm
The thermostat is a temperature sensitive spring valve that remains closed while the engine warms up. The normal operating temperature for most engines is between 180° F and 200° F. When the right temperature is reached, the spring valve opens, allowing coolant to circulate through the radiator to be cooled.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
When you turn on the A/C the temp should drop as the electric fan kicks in..

·
Registered
102 Posts
I probably wouldn't freak until at least 230 and probably beyond that for a bit - and I bet there'd be an idiot light and a pressure blowout of steam coming out of the cooling system and emerging from the engine compartment before the engine was damaged.
Some systems go well above 230 degrees before the electric fan kicks in.
A warning light will let you know if the temp is too high. You might ask the
local service department the temp at which the warning light should go on, although I suspect that the temp gauge has a red line that will also let you know. I like cars that turn on the electric fan when the A/C is turned on,
without waiting for the temp to get way up there - that makes the A/C put out much cooler air.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
GMguy said:
Some systems go well above 230 degrees before the electric fan kicks in.
A warning light will let you know if the temp is too high. You might ask the
local service department the temp at which the warning light should go on, although I suspect that the temp gauge has a red line that will also let you know. I like cars that turn on the electric fan when the A/C is turned on,
without waiting for the temp to get way up there - that makes the A/C put out much cooler air.
There is no gauge just a digital readout... Wonder if the numbers turn red in an oveheat situation (off to read the owners manual!)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
normally mine runs around 194, the highest I have seen it is around 210, that was in heavy traffic with the Air Conditioning on...and it 90 degrees air temp.
I think what happens is when it over heats you will get a warning to on the DIC of a high temp and a red idiot light will come on between the guages... turn on your switch without starting the car and see if there is a red light with a thermometer on it...

·
Registered
351 Posts
SkyHi07 said:
Just another reason not to mount the front plate. They need all the air they can get.

Amen!!! At least not on the grill:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
SkyTech said:
The sky has a high and low speed fan. The low speed comes on at 223 degrees and the high kicks on at 230 degrees.
I love this guy.... We got our own Tech!!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
SkyHi07 said:
Just another reason not to mount the frount plate. They need all the air they can get.
Actually the air used to cool that part of the car comes from underneath the car mostly. Mounting the front plate does not impact engine cooling.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Temp

Spoke to the service mgr at my dealership and he said that it's normal to see temps in the 190 - 210 range. He said the thermostat opens at about 224 and the higher temps are meant for the catalytic system to to burn cleaner

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
SkyTech said:
The sky has a high and low speed fan. The low speed comes on at 223 degrees and the high kicks on at 230 degrees.
Is that with the A/C ON or OFF ....??

1 - 20 of 65 Posts