Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have been reading the posts about Norm's Fiberglass and wanted to share my story as I am also having doubts whether I'll ever receive the products I ordered. I ordered Norm's Viper Hood back in September of 2017 for a price of $2350 including painting and I still have not received it. It's been one year and two months. I also ordered from Norm a pair of Fenders and a set of Side Skirts back in June 2018 at a cost of $1228 thinking that Norm would ship everything together. I still have not received anything and it's now November of 2018. I've spoken to Norm several times and he insists that my Viper Hood is all done, but he never ships it. I also tried asking him to ship the Viper Hood unpainted and refund the $600 he charged for painting and still nothing. Norm is always very nice and apologetic when I speak to him but this seems to be a really long to have waited so far. Have any of the other Sky owners who have ordered things from Nore's Fiberglass ever waited one year and two months for your items? Hope to hear some thoughts from the other Sky members. Thanks.
Hi, Eddie. I'm not sure why it's taking a long time but it was a somewhat similar situation for me. What's ironic is that Norm actually delivered them to me and helped me install them at no extra charge. I'm not sure if he does that for everyone but bear in mind that I'm in the same state that Norm is in. Regardless, the final product was well worth the wait. Norm's a great guy and a great producer of awesome parts. It shouldn't hurt to keep in contact with him every week or so if the parts are done but rest assured, you'll eventually get everything you ordered and it will be worth the wait. :)

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
I waited a little over 18 months I believe for the light bar. Too long no question, but he did have some problems locating lights. HIs original supplier no longer had what he used. The light bar totally changes the car and have never been happier with a mod. Getting ready to order another one for trailer.

Norm's work is not perfect, but is much closer than any other fender or hood provider. If your going to customize your car, sometimes you end up having to do a little more than you thought. Will have to agree, he is one of the nicest guys out there. Just a little slower than we all would want.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Anytime you order from norm always expect a 1 yr wait
Almost 2 yrs is a long time but with costume parts things take time

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
Yes, but higher and the turn signals are also in the bar. I don't think Norm has made many of them. They are hard to get installed. I am working on the fog light to light up when the brakes are acitvated.

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
I have a custom hood, front splitter, one off fenders, side skirts and one off rear valence. All are first class. If he has a part in "stock" you get it quickly. If he has to make it, you have to get into the schedule and that can take from months to a year. My hood came in a couple of months. The one of fenders a bit over a year. The side skirts came in a week. It depends on how much customization you want and what he has ready to ship.

Before his wife got cancer and his shop burned down he was shipping in a month or less. Since then he has been pretty much hand to mouth. First in first out and it takes time to lay up a big part and get it right.

·
Registered
117 Posts
lol - I came here to post a new thread asking if anyone had spoken to Norm lately - but reading the comments here I can see there's probably no point.

If you only waited a year for your parts consider yourself blessed. I've been waiting SIX YEARS for him to finish a set of side skirts for me. Sent him my parts to make molds (giving him an entree into a an aftermarket segment where there is no one else making the parts) AND offered to buy ten full sets to make the effort worth his time.

EVERY time I call he tells me "I'm getting someone on it right now". For six years. He's now not answering his phone (I still send them, but I gave up on emails yeas ago as he LITERALLY never responded to a single one).

Now I'm tired of waiting and just want my parts back. And he's dropped off the face of the earth.

As a person Norm may be a "great guy" - as a businessman he's complete and utter crap. I've installed an auto-dialer on my phone - tomorrow I will ring his phone off the hook for 12 hours to see if he picks up. If that doesn't work I guess I will try registered mail. I will probably have to take the 10 hour RT drive to his shop to get my parts back, if he's even got them anymore.

If ANYONE has a "personal connection" to Norm please PM me.

·
Registered
130 Posts
As much as I would love to own some of the products he produces, I know myself and I would probably loose my mind if I had paid for something and Norm was late delivering. It's too bad that he doesn't hire himself a time management person. That person would make sure he isn't hand delivering parts to a customer and hanging around for a couple of hours helping to do the install. To me, if I'm the guy on the receiving end having Norm help me install my newly delivered parts, he is a hero. But unfortunately if I'm the guy who has been waiting 6 months past a promise date, I would be pissed off hearing he's helping a customer install parts while I'm waiting for mine.
This posting is very timely for me as I'm on week 3 waiting to hear back from Norm on whether or not he has a certain part available for shipment. I don't pretend to know his circumstances but the guy could probably have a very nice and highly profitable business with a little bit of time management.

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
I'm not defending Norm but at the same time, he isn't in the parts business.

Now I know you may say "But wait, that's what he's selling...car parts." They may be parts that go on the car, but they're not car parts. What Norm has is a cottage industry level production house.

What we think of when we think "car parts" is like Autozone. You go in, a part that is built at an assembly plant (somewhere in the world) is sitting on the shelf waiting for us to buy it. That part is going to be the same as the thousands of others that company produces. If you get it from Texas or Arizona or New York, it's the same part. Every time.

Norm isn't like that. What he does is build fiberglass artwork for cars. Now, I'm not sayng Norm's stuff needs to be hung in the Louvre in Paris but rather that these items are crafted, by hand, and have to be to Norm's level of perfection...like an artist doing a sculpture. There may be small irregularities from part to part but nothing you would see without careful scrutiny.

Unfortunately, like most artists who are REALLY good at their craft, business skills seem to be...well, an artist's business skills are probably equal to a businessman's artistry skills.

Norm has a horrible problem with proper forecasting of completion dates and that trait is fairly well known in our community. Johnny's six year wait though seems to be WELL outside the window of acceptability though. If I were to be ordering items from Norm, I'd take his time table, add a year, and that's when I'd be expecting them based on past history. If you're not willing to accept that kind of time frame and the fact that you'll probably be needing to follow up with him on a regular basis sometimes without response, you may want to rethink your decision. It is what it is.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I’ll be one of the first people in line to attest to the quality of Norm’s parts. I have almost all of them. However, it’s truly unfair to people who have “deposited” hundreds or thousands of dollars for art/parts and not get responses to emails or calls. I totally understand being busy, but I also understand being ignored. It’s not a big stretch to ask for some respectful communications.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I’ll be one of the first people in line to attest to the quality of Norm’s parts. I have almost all of them. However, it’s truly unfair to people who have “deposited” hundreds or thousands of dollars for art/parts and not get responses to emails or calls. I totally understand being busy, but I also understand being ignored. It’s not a big stretch to ask for some respectful communications.
Norm is a one-man shop, he can be responding to email or phone calls, or making fiberglass works of art.

I understand his dilemma, having been a one man shop for much of my working career. Some times the balance between office and shop duties gets skewed to one side or the other. But I agree, it's not to much to expect some communications and/or progress updates.

Having said that, there is a reason that I have never sent Norm a $4,000 deposit for a coupe top. with a realistic lead time of 2 years, or so, maybe 3. Norm is busy, way too busy to respond in a timely manner, and I would be constantly wanting a progress report. Rather than subject him to my need to know and make both of us unhappy, I made the decision NOT to order from him, not to order anything.

:dunno:

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I ordered Norm's front splitter and 2 side skirts back in September in 1 single order (September 1st or the 2nd, I believe). Everything was ordered to be painted, too, and the last time I spoke to him on January 5th, I was told that these parts just haven't been painted yet... It's now February 14th and they still haven't been delivered, which might be perfectly okay depending on what all goes into things like his products--which I admit I know nothing about other than thinking that you press parts out and then just paint them. I'm just getting a little anxious or worried, especially since I've already paid for everything but have nothing to show for it. Maybe I'm being a worry wart? For those of you that have ordered from Norm, how long should something like this take?

For whatever it's worth, I ordered 2 fenders from him a year before this latest order and when they finally arrived, they really were fantastic--the paint matched perfectly. But the fenders took a pretty good time to finally be delivered, too. So maybe I just don't understand what goes into these things? Maybe the weather is something his shop has to deal with, too? (I.e. - Maybe he doesn't have an indoor paint booth or something?)

Either way, I love Norm's products so far and based on the discussions I've had with the guy, he seems like a kind person so I'd hate to think I've been scammed or something. It's just that I've been scammed before by other companies out there, so I guess I can be a little paranoid by default. But either way, I'm just trying to understand what a reasonable time frame is to expect something like this to be finally delivered...

Any insight into this would be appreciated. (I've been trying to reach him via phone but his memory on his voice message system is full, so I can't leave any messages and he doesn't seem to answer e-mails, either. It's a little frustrating.)
Good luck with getting your parts buddy. I've had a Viper Hood paid for since September 2017 and a pair of Fenders and Side Skirts paid for since June 2018 and Norm still has not shipped. So far, Norm has taken $3650 from me and I have nothing to show for it. He always promises to ship "next week", but next week comes and goes and he never ships. I would be very concerned if I were you. Norm doesn't sound like a bad guy but come on already. Just be upfront and honest and quit the BS.

·
Registered
63 Posts
@Eddieboy - Did you get your parts yet?

I'm on the hook for about $800 for two painted fenders going on 10 weeks. If you're 2.5+ years waiting, I'm guessing I should cut out now and push paypal to see if I can get a refund while I still can. Norm was answering my calls and giving updates, even said the fenders were done and ready to paint this past weekend. Now not answering calls, emails, and can't leave a voice message.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I heard via the grapevine that Norm is on the road making a delivery, try him again early next week. Norm is a one man shop, and if he's not there, no one answers the phone.

:dunno:

21 - 40 of 44 Posts