Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read many posts on this issue but all the ones I've read state that it's the pumps issue. The problem is that no matter how slow or at what angle the gas is pumped in, the gas rises really quickly. Seems that the pressure buildup in the tank has no where to go so it forces the gas back up. It takes me about 10 minutes just to pump a couple dollars worth of gas :| . I did see a you tube video stating that it maybe the EVAP hose connected to the evap cannister is clogged so I should shoot air into it to clear it. Not sure if this applies to my car cause I cannot find the hose. Thoughts, suggestions?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've read many posts on this issue but all the ones I've read state that it's the pumps issue. The problem is that no matter how slow or at what angle the gas is pumped in, the gas rises really quickly. Seems that the pressure buildup in the tank has no where to go so it forces the gas back up. It takes me about 10 minutes just to pump a couple dollars worth of gas :| . I did see a you tube video stating that it maybe the EVAP hose connected to the evap cannister is clogged so I should shoot air into it to clear it. Not sure if this applies to my car cause I cannot find the hose. Thoughts, suggestions?
You've probably tried this, but just in case...
After the pump clicks off the first time, remove the nozzle completely from the fill tube and wait 10 seconds before reinserting it. That may solve your problem

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have tried that. It's the only thing that works to fill up my car; I fill for a couple of seconds, remove, wait a bit, reinsert, refill for a couple of more seconds and so on. It takes forever. I've had this car for almost 3 years now and this issue just started. That's why I am concerned.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
It might be that you Evap cannister has become clogged/blocked and needs to be replaced. Unfortunately it's a bit of a pain to do. Charcoal canister damage is a common result from 'topping off' the gas (repeatedly pulling the gas trigger after it clicks off) - the gas can overflow back into the canister and saturate it.

Charcoal Canister... - Pontiac Solstice Forum
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f5/changing-evaporative-canister-83817/

And in case you can't find one, an HHR one will work (with some work): Evap Canister unavailable? - Pontiac Solstice Forum

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It might be that you Evap cannister has become clogged/blocked and needs to be replaced. Unfortunately it's a bit of a pain to do. Charcoal canister damage is a common result from 'topping off' the gas (repeatedly pulling the gas trigger after it clicks off) - the gas can overflow back into the canister and saturate it.

Charcoal Canister... - Pontiac Solstice Forum
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f5/changing-evaporative-canister-83817/

And in case you can't find one, an HHR one will work (with some work): Evap Canister unavailable? - Pontiac Solstice Forum
Thank you so much! Odd thing is that I'm not getting CEL/ codes... But if this problem continues for a few more days, replace the canister using that method.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mine always stops if I simply insert the spout into the fill neck of the tank, and it doesn't matter if I hold it or set the auto fill lever. However, I have no issues when I put the spout into the fill neck and elevate the back of the pump, it stays on until the tank is full. Don't know why, just know that...

·
Super Moderator
11,401 Posts
Mine always stops if I simply insert the spout into the fill neck of the tank, and it doesn't matter if I hold it or set the auto fill lever. However, I have no issues when I put the spout into the fill neck and elevate the back of the pump, it stays on until the tank is full. Don't know why, just know that...
Mine does the same but I have found that if I start filling the tank with the back of the pump in the air for about 10 seconds then slowly lower it down while it's still filling to the "rest" position it should be at, it fills like it should without shutting off. Some stations do it, some don't.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing, heres the fix

What it is, is the canister purge/vent valve. It sits on top of the fuel tank right to the left of the canister. (Red connector) The valve inside wears on the edge then it gets stuck sideways and breaks from the solenoid inside. when it does this is blocks the air from venting and without that there is no place for the air to go as you pump the gas in. If you task it out and can not easily blow thru it that's the problem. Now the manual says to drop the tank. Ye, I'm not going to do that so I did better. I cut the material which by the way is carbon fiber. Then silicone it back in place. Just make sure you use good silicone that can handle the heat back there. I got the new valve at Auto zone part number PV483 for $33.99
NOTE: JUST BE CAREFUL NOT TO GO TO DEEP OR YOU'LL CUT THE CANISTER AND THEY ARE NOT CHEAP. :)

Attachments

Reactions: HORNET1

·
Registered
67 Posts
Now the manual says to drop the tank. Ye, I'm not going to do that so I did better. I cut the material
They should have just made it accessible from above in the first place but I'm sure they had their reasons.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
Yes I agree

They should have just made it accessible from above in the first place but I'm sure they had their reasons.
The factory could have just put a larger access panel on it but instead they made it a pain to get to. Now its easy. :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
It's the time of the French Revolution and they're doing their usual daily beheadings. Today they're leading a priest, a prostitute and an engineer up to the guillotine.

They ask the priest if he wants to be face up or face down when he meets his fate. The priest says that he would like to be face up so he will be looking toward heaven when he dies. They raise the blade of the guillotine, release it, it comes speeding down and suddenly stops just inches from his neck. Being devoutly religious, they Take this as divine intervention and release the priest.

Next the prostitute comes to the guillotine. She also decides to die face up hoping that she will be as fortunate as the priest. They raise the blade of the guillotine, release it, it comes speeding down and suddenly stops just inches from her neck. So they release the prostitute as well.

The engineer is next. He too decides to die facing up. They raise the blade of the guillotine and suddenly the engineer cries out: "Hey, I see what your problem is!"

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mine does the same but I have found that if I start filling the tank with the back of the pump in the air for about 10 seconds then slowly lower it down while it's still filling to the "rest" position it should be at, it fills like it should without shutting off. Some stations do it, some don't.
Hmm, I'll have to try that...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I find that turning the nozzle almost upside down seems to help. It is an air gap issue. When i first got my sky, there was a part in the gas tank assembly that they replaced.......several times, but to no avail. It is just one of the glitchy things with the car. I found some gas station pumps were harder to use than others. I generally just go to a Costco and have fewer issues.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Absolutely right! Held the back up for a few seconds and then lowered it. Worked like a charm.. and not the magically delicious kind either :grin:

·
Registered
2 Posts
this post is so helpful. how did you get to the tank? through the trunk? u said you did not drop the tank, please advise what you did i have to do this too. thanks so much. love the doors, nice ride jim vilberg 786 205 1000

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had problems with my 2008 Sky not taking fuel. Dec 2018 replaced the vapor cannister and vent valve by cutting the composite cover inside trunk. A pain but doable. Now less than 2 years later same crap. I cleaned all the lines out and I cannot find any material from the cannister in the lines as I did back in 2018. I was not planning on replacing the cannister and vent valve twice in two years. Is there something else that could be causing the problem? I am not getting any error codes this time. Last time I did get error code. Got it all apart and parts on order, but cannot believe it would happen twice.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts