Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,573 Posts
Canister problems are normally thought to be caused by "topping up" the tank after initial pump shutoff, flooding fuel into the canister. Even if you are doing that, two years is pretty quick.

When you look into your filler neck can you see the flapper? There has been some discussion about it breaking off and blocking the filler tube.

There is a check valve at the bottom of the filler tue that could be sticking, although I have never heard of it happening, and that would not trigger a code.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Canister problems are normally thought to be caused by "topping up" the tank after initial pump shutoff, flooding fuel into the canister. Even if you are doing that, two years is pretty quick.

When you look into your filler neck can you see the flapper? There has been some discussion about it breaking off and blocking the filler tube.

There is a check valve at the bottom of the filler tue that could be sticking, although I have never heard of it happening, and that would not trigger a code.
Thanks John. I got it going without replacing any parts. The flap on the gas tube was gone, so it is down in there somewhere. I ran a fish tape down the gas inlet until I hit gas. Then used the air compressor to blow in the vent line back to the fill tube. Put it back together and took it to the station and she filled up just fine. Not sure what fixed it but saved me $125 in parts. Thanks again.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Had a friends car that experienced this issue. Changed the evap canister with no improvement. Found that the flap in the top of the filler tube was missing. After looking inside a tank from a Sky I found that there is a spring loaded plunger that allows gas to come in but closes once you release the handle. I suspect that the flap pieces is some how jamming the plunger and not allowing it to open. This can be accessed if the pump is removed you can also remove the filler hose by removing the clap that connects it to the tank and the 3 7 MM screws that hold the filler neck secure. Even then access will be difficult as there is little room with the aluminum access cover removed that covers the top of the fuel cell. It may be possible to reach in from the filler tube hole if the tube is removed. I have attached some images of the inside of the filler tube. this spring is very light and should move with very little pressure. Note that the filler tube has a "notch" that will need to be realigned when replacing the filler neck so the screws will line up at the top. I don't see anyway of detaching the plunger mechanism from the tank as it is glued in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply and pics. Hope if didn't mess that up when I ran the fish tape down the fill tube.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing, heres the fix

What it is, is the canister purge/vent valve. It sits on top of the fuel tank right to the left of the canister. (Red connector) The valve inside wears on the edge then it gets stuck sideways and breaks from the solenoid inside. when it does this is blocks the air from venting and without that there is no place for the air to go as you pump the gas in. If you task it out and can not easily blow thru it that's the problem. Now the manual says to drop the tank. Ye, I'm not going to do that so I did better. I cut the material which by the way is carbon fiber. Then silicone it back in place. Just make sure you use good silicone that can handle the heat back there. I got the new valve at Auto zone part number PV483 for $33.99
NOTE: JUST BE CAREFUL NOT TO GO TO DEEP OR YOU'LL CUT THE CANISTER AND THEY ARE NOT CHEAP. :)
I just had this issue filling my tank today. I suspect mine is the little flappy door has dislodged and is blocking the fuel filler line at the tank as my flappy is missing. I'll admit though i couldnt say whether it was there to start with. IF i open this area up as you have done in your pics, do i have access to the fuel filler line connection where i can check for that flappy door blockage?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Maybe one of THESE will grab it. Has anyone tried one?
I thought i read a thread somewhere here where someone had attempted to use one of those 'grabbers' but found it to be too short. I have one and will give it a try anyway. I had figured i would simply follow the procedure shown in RickyD's post# 8 and elsewhere suggesting that separating the filler tube from the gas tank & removing the obstruction was the 'best' solution.

·
Super Moderator
6,573 Posts
Assuming that you could grab anything with that, you would still have a challenge to get it out, as the flapper is bigger than the hole.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I agree that it doesn't seem feasible to use the grabber. If i open up that access panel in the trunk will i have access to the filler tube connection to the fuel tank ?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Assuming that you could grab anything with that, you would still have a challenge to get it out, as the flapper is bigger than the hole.
If you can get the coin to the opening, a needle nose pliers should deform it out.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm still at trying to figure out how to go about accessing the connection between the fuel filler tube and the fuel tank.

·
Super Moderator
6,573 Posts
I'm still at trying to figure out how to go about accessing the connection between the fuel filler tube and the fuel tank.
Have you tried removing the rear wheelhouse liner? That seems the most logical approach, but I can check the service manual for instructions tonight.

Reactions: mikeyt

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Have you tried removing the rear wheelhouse liner? That seems the most logical approach, but I can check the service manual for instructions tonight.
That makes the most sense to me too.

The gas tank is not inside the trunk bucket. It is underneath it so I imagine the filler tube connection is accessible through the removal of the fender liner.

Looking at a picture of a used one for sale on eBay, the filler tube is held on with a hose clamp. It seems easy enough to disconnect.

Here is a new tank sold through Walmart. With filler tube removed, you are a lot closer to the lodged coin. It has been implied that the passage takes a 90 degree turn inside the tank which means the challenge of getting the coin out remains to be difficult. You might have to resort to removing the fuel pump and get at it from inside. It is right there next to the fuel pump opening. I wonder if using compressed air from one direction or the other would get it moving to grab it.

·
Super Moderator
6,573 Posts
There is a check valve at the bottom of the filler tube, to keep fuel inside the tank in case the filler tube gets ripped off in a collision. If that wasn't there there wouldn't be a problem, as the flapper would simply land in the bottom of the tank. Since it is there, pushing anything out from inside the tank would not be possible.

As far as i know, the only ways to remove the fuel pump are to cut an access through the bottom of the trunk or to drop the tank.

Correction: The fuel pump has an access cover, it is the evap canister that requires cutting an access or dropping the tank.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
There is a check valve at the bottom of the filler tube, to keep fuel inside the tank in case the filler tube gets ripped off in a collision. If that wasn't there there wouldn't be a problem, as the flapper would simply land in the bottom of the tank. Since it is there, pushing anything out from inside the tank would not be possible.

As far as i know, the only ways to remove the fuel pump are to cut an access through the bottom of the trunk or to drop the tank.
I have an OEM-looking access cover above the tank in the hump of the trunk. Removing the trunk liner exposes it. I assume it is in the right place to remove/replace the fuel pump.

I now get what you are saying about pushing up from inside the tank...apparently it would be a futile effort.

With the filler tube disconnected from the tank, I wonder if it is possible to create a vacuum via a vacuum cleaner utilizing a flexible hose and grab it that way. The tank would have to be completely empty. I also wonder about fumes building up inside the vacuum cleaner....."BOOM". Is there such a thing as a spark-arrested vacuum?

The "safe" way is to remove the tank and shake out the coin/flapper thingy.

·
Super Moderator
6,573 Posts
I have an OEM-looking access cover above the tank in the hump of the trunk. Removing the trunk liner exposes it. I assume it is in the right place to remove/replace the fuel pump.
Correct. It is the evap canister that requires an access be cut.

The service manual procedure for removing the fuel filler hose is:
  1. Remove the trunk liner and the fuel pump access cover
  2. Remove the fuel filler housing (this surrounds the fuel filler)
  3. Remove the wheelhouse liner
  4. Remove the ground strap
  5. Disconnect the fuel tank fill evap hose
  6. Loosen the clamp and remove the filler hose assembly
  7. Cover the tank and evap hose openings to prevent contamination

·
Registered
189 Posts
So, even with the fuel filler line removed, it could still be a pita to pry out that little flapper unless the flapper is too big to go thru that nipple the fuel filler line attaches to.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts