Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,257 Posts
Canister problems are normally thought to be caused by "topping up" the tank after initial pump shutoff, flooding fuel into the canister. Even if you are doing that, two years is pretty quick.

When you look into your filler neck can you see the flapper? There has been some discussion about it breaking off and blocking the filler tube.

There is a check valve at the bottom of the filler tue that could be sticking, although I have never heard of it happening, and that would not trigger a code.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Canister problems are normally thought to be caused by "topping up" the tank after initial pump shutoff, flooding fuel into the canister. Even if you are doing that, two years is pretty quick.

When you look into your filler neck can you see the flapper? There has been some discussion about it breaking off and blocking the filler tube.

There is a check valve at the bottom of the filler tue that could be sticking, although I have never heard of it happening, and that would not trigger a code.
Thanks John. I got it going without replacing any parts. The flap on the gas tube was gone, so it is down in there somewhere. I ran a fish tape down the gas inlet until I hit gas. Then used the air compressor to blow in the vent line back to the fill tube. Put it back together and took it to the station and she filled up just fine. Not sure what fixed it but saved me $125 in parts. Thanks again.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Had a friends car that experienced this issue. Changed the evap canister with no improvement. Found that the flap in the top of the filler tube was missing. After looking inside a tank from a Sky I found that there is a spring loaded plunger that allows gas to come in but closes once you release the handle. I suspect that the flap pieces is some how jamming the plunger and not allowing it to open. This can be accessed if the pump is removed you can also remove the filler hose by removing the clap that connects it to the tank and the 3 7 MM screws that hold the filler neck secure. Even then access will be difficult as there is little room with the aluminum access cover removed that covers the top of the fuel cell. It may be possible to reach in from the filler tube hole if the tube is removed. I have attached some images of the inside of the filler tube. this spring is very light and should move with very little pressure. Note that the filler tube has a "notch" that will need to be realigned when replacing the filler neck so the screws will line up at the top. I don't see anyway of detaching the plunger mechanism from the tank as it is glued in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply and pics. Hope if didn't mess that up when I ran the fish tape down the fill tube.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts