Saturn Skyline Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I participated in my first major event which was an autocross novice school. The group ran 15 laps and we had 3 different instructors assigned to us.

The event was a lot of fun but our class was not broken up by modifications. The event didn't have points associated with it but some instructors did set time goals.

The course changed a bit but I staryed out with a 61 sec laptime and ended with a 36.3 sec laptime. About each run I was losing a second but I kept hitting cones or DNF. My last run was the best and I didn't hit anything.

My goal time was 35 secs. My last instructor named Mark had been autocrossing with Miatas for about 5 years. He was great and his lap in my car was 35.7 secs.

I was able to obtain so much insight into this car. At least for my driving style and in general the car handles better the harder I push it. If I slowed down my car would tap a cone and seemed to skip around. If I accelerated and kept speed thru a slalom the car would respond to my inputs. Man do I love this car.

I got a lot of improvements to make but first I will focus on my driving style. I am the guy with a stripped shirt. Mark was in the orange staff shirt.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,040 Posts
Those novice schools are fantastic. I attended one in San Diego and plan on going to another when the car is back together because I am major rusty. Each instructor had two students he worked with during the day with one student course marshaling while he worked with the other. My instructor was also a Miata driver and he also designed the course for the day. I got to take a lap with him in his car and wound up beating it by about a second with mine. Considering the power advantage I still think he would have been faster than I in my own car but I was happy with my results. I could have had one of the fastest laps of the day had my big foot not got hung up on the side of the brake pedal when it was supposed to be ON the brake pedal. Talk about flubbing up your braking zone.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts