Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am driving a V8 boat now, waiting for my new baby Sky R/L. I was told never to use high octane in this beast. Is it manditory to use high octane in the Sky R/L? :confused:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Its not mandatory, but recomended in owners manual. Thats all I put in my baby....:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
marlboromike said:
Ernest...gas prices in Texas r the cheapest in the country....we pay $2.89 for regular in Jersey and $3.15 for High Test....
Premium is $3.08/gal here. That is about what I get per barrel of oil, :D You can see who is getting rich off my well :lol: It aint me.:lol:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
marlboromike said:
If the Feds, State and local gov'ts would only drop the taxes just a tad...they r so greedy
What the kicker is that I still have to pay 15% capitol gains tax on my part.:mad: But hey, something is better than nothing:thumbs:

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
marlboromike said:
Ernest...gas prices in Texas r the cheapest in the country....we pay $2.89 for regular in Jersey and $3.15 for High Test....
Right down the street from my house

$3.21 for 87
$3.35 for 89
$3.47 for 93

For the extra couple bucks i'd always go with premium when it comes time to fill up.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
HappyAmI said:
I am driving a V8 boat now, waiting for my new baby Sky R/L. I was told never to use high octane in this beast. Is it manditory to use high octane in the Sky R/L? :confused:
I've used all three grades. I can't see much difference. No valve rattle or dieseling at shut off. I haven't checked but I would guess you might have improved gas mileage with the hi-test. Maybe enough to offset the price difference. At 20 cents difference in regular and hi-test, it's only $2.60 more per tank full.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Ernest,
Hope your day is starting well, and speaking of wells, why don't you just go to the back yard and pump up a couple barrels of Texas crude? I hear all you have to do is stick a shovel in the ground and you get rich!
Now, out here in Northern Ca. we have to be careful 'cause of all the Indians and such. The arrows that get stuck in my tires on the way to work slow me up some and that impacts my getting to the stream to pick up all that-there gold nuggets!:jester:

Imaged 23/06/06
BUILD WEEK was 31JUL06 – 06AUG06
(now I am getting stupid-crazy)
Midnight Blue
Tan Leather Inserts
Tan Top
Manual
LSD
6 Disc Monsoon
Chromed 18 in wheels
Windscreen
Wheel locks
Cold Air Intake

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Ernest said:
Me too. I also never go under 1/2 a tank, less expensive to fill that way!!!
what do you mean by that? unless the price jumps alot between you drive the second 1/2 tank you are not saving anything, it just costs you less at the time you fill it up but if you average it out it still costs the same...
I think it is a figment of your imagination...
today fill your car up, then drive it till the low fuel light comes on, then fill it up and record the cost... then drive it to 1/2 tank, then fill it up, then drive it again and fill it up, add the cost of both half tanks and see if you saved anything...

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
HappyAmI said:
I am sure the R/L will require Premimum, just because of the turbo...
I have never seen a Turbo car yet that didn't... besides, the standard recommends premimum but you can use 87

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
StarlightSky said:
Now, out here in Northern Ca. we have to be careful 'cause of all the Indians and such. The arrows that get stuck in my tires on the way to work slow me up some and that impacts my getting to the stream to pick up all that-there gold nuggets!:jester:
You will have to be careful if you keep making comments like that...I haven't scalped anyone in a real long time. :mad:

·
Registered
166 Posts
CdnSkyGuy said:
You will have to be careful if you keep making comments like that...I haven't scalped anyone in a real long time. :mad:
Why not? It's very cathartic.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SkyMan 07 said:
I am sure the R/L will require Premimum, just because of the turbo...
I have never seen a Turbo car yet that didn't... besides, the standard recommends premimum but you can use 87
Thanks for the information. I used to think that the luxury cars needed premium and was surprised they told me not to use it. I just want to feed my baby the right mix so she doesn't spit up on me! I WILL use premium for her. You guys are awesome! :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Federal Trade Commission on Octane Rating

Everyone

Here is a link you might find interesting from the federal trade commission on octane ratings http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/octane.htm basically use the lowest octane rated gas that does not make the engine knock, everyone might also note that in many areas of the country including illinois ethonal is used to raise the octane rating of fuel, and since ethonal has a lower btu rating than gasoline you will get worse gas milage using high octane fuel than low octane fuel. Another interesting fact is that no matter what gas station you go to the fuel you buy is coming from the same pipe the major oil companies and the small suppliers all use the same base fuel from the distributer the only difference is different brands may add small amounts of additives that are different, that being said the goverement also mandates the level of engine cleaners in the fuel so that will be the same across all brands. Basically the refiners all dump thier fuel into a big pipe at one end and all the gas stations buy what they need from the other end, so if you are paying a premium price to a major brand gas station you are getting ripped off.

Another interesting tidbit higher octane gas burns slower than lower octane gas, using a fuel that is higher octane than needed to eliminate engine knock doesn't even raise the power output of the engine since more of the fuel will pass unburned thru the engine and get burned in the catalytic convertor (if you can smell a rotten egg type oder from your tailpipe it is a sign that alot of fuel is getting burned in the catalytic convertor, if you change to a lower octane rated fuel for a couple of fill-ups the smell will go away)

Please pardon my soapbox

Rustyknight

·
Registered
692 Posts
Inwo said:
Why not? It's very cathartic.
Whoa there, all in good fun now and not meant to start a flamewar here. I'll first up since you are offended, didn't expect to find instant maddness over the spoof.
Oh, and there isn't anything left up there to scalp but thanks for thinking of me!!:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Sorry if I seemed offended I'm not, just thought I would interject some items of interest to the discussion. If my post was too intense or if I offended anyone please accept my sincere apologies.

Rustyknight

·
Registered
153 Posts
Rustyknight said:
Sorry if I seemed offended I'm not, just thought I would interject some items of interest to the discussion. If my post was too intense or if I offended anyone please accept my sincere apologies.

Rustyknight

The "offense" thing was not aimed at you... You have some interesting information...:thumbs: Sometimes feeling get stepped on with comments made on this forum. Everyone needs to relax and take things with a grain of salt.... :)

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
Rustyknight said:
Everyone

Here is a link you might find interesting from the federal trade commission on octane ratings http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/octane.htm basically use the lowest octane rated gas that does not make the engine knock, everyone might also note that in many areas of the country including illinois ethonal is used to raise the octane rating of fuel, and since ethonal has a lower btu rating than gasoline you will get worse gas milage using high octane fuel than low octane fuel. Another interesting fact is that no matter what gas station you go to the fuel you buy is coming from the same pipe the major oil companies and the small suppliers all use the same base fuel from the distributer the only difference is different brands may add small amounts of additives that are different, that being said the goverement also mandates the level of engine cleaners in the fuel so that will be the same across all brands. Basically the refiners all dump thier fuel into a big pipe at one end and all the gas stations buy what they need from the other end, so if you are paying a premium price to a major brand gas station you are getting ripped off.

Another interesting tidbit higher octane gas burns slower than lower octane gas, using a fuel that is higher octane than needed to eliminate engine knock doesn't even raise the power output of the engine since more of the fuel will pass unburned thru the engine and get burned in the catalytic convertor (if you can smell a rotten egg type oder from your tailpipe it is a sign that alot of fuel is getting burned in the catalytic convertor, if you change to a lower octane rated fuel for a couple of fill-ups the smell will go away)

Please pardon my soapbox

Rustyknight
I agree most gas is the same, but; Sunoco has thier own refinery and co-generation plants in Philly to make thier fuel. Coastal also has a refinery and co-generation in New Jersey. I'm not seeing how it all comes from 1 big pipe.
Yes some companies sell thier gas, but then again some make thier own to distribute to themselves. I agree with ya tho, right on the money with the ethanol, i really don't want it in my gas. Gas mileage is pathetic on ethanol, on average about 40% less fuel economy than regular gasoline.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts