Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to replace the red/black leather bottom seat covers (one has split along a seam, then other just has scratches/wear), preferably with something that is as OEM-looking as possible.

Have not been on this site for a long while, so I am not up on who the "good" vendors are now. I know that JPM used to make stuff like this, but not anymore, correct?

I have not been able to find anything good. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Just logged in here for the first time in well over a year to say "hi". Glad to know your still have your red/red/black Sky! Sure doesn't seem like almost ten years ago we were both waiting for weekly updates from Deluke on our orders :)

Mr. Mike makes very near replica, excellent quality leather Fiero seat skins. I'm not sure if he makes them for the Sky, but if you run out of options, you might give him a call:

MrMikes Fiero and Miata Upholstery Kits for Many Cars.

I have a spare floor mats, steering wheel and door panels, but never thought to get seat skins.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Nice to see some of the old school folks coming by for a visit. Hope to see you folks around more often. We've got a good group of new folks on here.
Thanks. I left because of ONE off-the-rails old school person who wasn't being dealt with; Finally had to just deduct my ad impressions from the site. Will have to re-depart if he's still behaving the same way.

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
I have a set of Black NA covers and Redline.

I also have a friend that can make them. If you are interested I can get a price for a set. He is considered one of the best in the SoCal area, he does

mostly street rods, but working on a large boat now. I see him nearly every day.

Glad to see both of you guys back!!!

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
Talked with Jim today, he can make them for you, with real leather inserts and top of the line GM material for around 700.00 Shipping would be extra, but doubt much more. I can ship them for you if you want. I had him look at my seats so he is sure of what he is making. Let me know if you are interested. He said he could do the perforated leather, which seems to be the latest craze.

I think we are going to redo the seats in the other halves car with Lime Green thread.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for looking into this.

Is the $700 for both FULL seats or just the bottom sections?
I really only need to the two bottom pieces, the larger "back" pieces are still in perfect condition, so I really have no interest in replacing them.

$700 for just the bottoms seems pricey.

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
No, the complete seats. The problem you will most likely run into, is the fading of the red. Be hard to match them unless you could find a used set. New bottoms with a ten year difference in age.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, even if the color didn't match exactly, it would be better than the split seam that I have now.
And I really don't think my seats have faded very much, I'm actually quite happy (and surprised) how well the color has held up.

Can you check and see how much he would want to do just the bottom pieces?

Unfortunately, with kids in college I have limited funds for a while.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
Sure no problem, but I am guessing he will want a piece of the worn red part of the seat. He will have to match the color. But will ask Monday.

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
I can ask Robo,

If you have ever heard of Dreshlers in Yucaipa, he was the lead for them for many years. Does absolutely beautiful work. Many years ago he did a 55 Pontiac I was working on. The sea foam green colors. I did not know him then, that car, 20 plus years ago was over 8K for the interrior. He did not set the prices then though.

We have become pretty good friends over the last 6 months..

He wants to redo my seats, as he says they are an embarrassment. Because people think he did them. I thought they looked pretty good. He is a perfectionist for sure.

We are talking about doing the Green car with green thread throughout. I have not gotten a price on it yet.

I think you have met him. The guy my age. He is doing the big cigarette boat in the back of the shop.

Sorry mbeardsly for the hijack there. I can promise you, they will be better than the originals.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you ever get a chance to ask about the price for just the seat bottoms?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
Yes I did, but he did not give a price. He will need a sliver of the red. Plus a picture of the seat and the worn area. He might be able to fix it. Sorry lost this thread as I only read active ones normally. My bad.

Robo, I forgot about asking about the door panels. Will see him Monday, text me so I remember. Duh!!!!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes I did, but he did not give a price. He will need a sliver of the red. Plus a picture of the seat and the worn area. He might be able to fix it. Sorry lost this thread as I only read active ones normally. My bad.

Robo, I forgot about asking about the door panels. Will see him Monday, text me so I remember. Duh!!!!
Well, even if he could fix the split seam, the rest of the seat bottoms are still pretty scraped up. So replacing them seems like the best path.
I am attaching a couple of pictures here, but I can certainly provide more if it will help.
Rather than tearing up the seats to get him a color sample, I could send him one of my JPM visor covers made out of the same red leather.
As you can probably see in the pictures, the seat backs are still in very nice shape (and have faded less than the seat bottoms).

Attachments

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Looking at those pics, it seems to me like your cushioning is pretty much shot too. Certainly on the driver side bottom, where the outside bolster is pushing out of the side of the seat. You're gonna need R&R on that, or replacement, or the covers won't fit nicely and your spent $$ will be in vain.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I've been considering that.

Its a shame how poor the seat bottoms are, it's not like I'm a huge guy.
I'm just under 6 foot, and weigh about 170.

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
I did not go down the mountain today. Will try to show him the pictures tomorrow. There is a lot of difference between the top and the bottoms. Going to be very hard to match the colors is my guess. The seats look pretty shot to me to. Will let him make the decision on this.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Yeah, I've been considering that.

Its a shame how poor the seat bottoms are, it's not like I'm a huge guy.
I'm just under 6 foot, and weigh about 170.
I have not had mine apart to confirm, but I've read that part of the problem (also common with the Fiero) is that the foam sits directly on the flat springs under the seat bottom and eventually the springs cut into the foam. Seem to recall seeing that some folks have started putting a thin sheet of plexi or plywood between to stop this.

Not sure about the Sky bolsters, but the Fiero bolsters have a metal rod cast inside them that also cuts through over time from people pushing on the bolster to get in/out. After fixing mine I've started pushing on the door sill instead.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts