Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in getting the OEM suspension upgrade. I'm kind of handy with a tool box. Can anyone describe the installation process?
  1. Does the kit come with instructions, or do you need to get a manual for the car?
  2. REF: Front & Rear sway bars. Is there a lot of drilling into the frame or is it a simple bolt-on with holes that are already there?
  3. I would imagine that the springs and shocks are an easy swap, YES-NO?
  4. I saw it online for $1,295.00 and that includes shipping. Is it cheaper anywhere else?
  5. Do you need to have the wheels aligned after the upgrade?
  6. Do you really need a lift, or will jack stands get it high enough?
  7. Anything else?
  8. Is it a 1, 2, 3 beer project, or a whole 6-pack? Do I have to double this for the required next door neighbor's help?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
dmbdlatc said:
I'm interested in getting the OEM suspension upgrade. I'm kind of handy with a tool box. Can anyone describe the installation process?
  1. Does the kit come with instructions, or do you need to get a manual for the car?
  2. REF: Front & Rear sway bars. Is there a lot of drilling into the frame or is it a simple bolt-on with holes that are already there?
  4. I saw it online for $1,295.00 and that includes shipping. Is it cheaper anywhere else?
  7. Anything else?
  8. Is it a 1, 2, 3 beer project, or a whole 6-pack? Do I have to double this for the required next door neighbor's help?
Just a quick note, I was reading thru a catalog my salesman gave me, and in the back it says:
AN IMPORTANT NOT ABOUT ALTERATIONS AND WARRANTIES
Installations or alterations to the original equipment vehicle (or chassis) as distributed by GM are not covered by the GM New Vehicle Limited Warranty. The special body company, assembler, equipment installer or uplifter is soley responsible for warranties on the body or equipment and any alterations (or any effect of the alterations) to any of the parts, components, systems or assemblies installed by GM, GM is not responsible for the safety or quality of design features, materials or workmanship of any alterations by such suppliers.
Now I know that people will still do it, and I say right on, but just thought I'd supply this info so all my Sky buds are informed. Good luck all :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
dmbdlatc said:
  7. Anything else?
I watch my suspension package being installed from the beginning to end, and If you don't have a lift, pneumatic tools, torque wrench and don't know what you are doing, have it installed, trust me. With all the proper equipment, tools, etc, it is a 2.5 hours job, steadily at it. No, alignment is not affected. You will need the torque specs from Saturn. But it is worth the money, I assure you. It drives and handles 100% better, a little rougher, but steering becomes much more quicker. Although in stock form the SKY is still a dream come true!!!!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, If GM is saying that the supplier of the modifcation is now responsible. Then all they are doing is transferring the responcibilty back to themselves, as they are the supplier of the modification.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Ernest said:
Was told by my service manager that since it was bought and installed buy Saturn dealer, warranty would not be affected. MIne is a Saturn kit. $1495, dealer installed comp on labor.
And again you are absolutly correct my dear. I beleive that is the point of having your dealer install, so the warrenty will not be voided. And baby doll, GREAT PICS, KEEP THEM COMING THX :thumbs:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ERNEST:

I'm a little worried about even teh dealer doing it. This car is completely new them also.

Thanks, Don

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Saturn parts, Saturn techs, all covered, no hassles!! BTW no instructions in kit!!! Any SAturn tech can install it though. Oh yeah, you have to drop the muffler off its bracxkets to install and remove rear stabilizer, 14, 16, 18 MM tools requuired

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Hey Ernest...

Are you going to e-mail me them pictures??? :thumbs:

Regards,

:willy: S.D. :willy:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
dmbdlatc said:
ERNEST:

I'm a little worried about even teh dealer doing it. This car is completely new them also.

Thanks, Don
Yes, but when they screw it up they have to replace/fix what they screw up. When you do this install yourself and mess up you are then screwed on whatever you mess up.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
brentil said:
Yes, but when they screw it up they have to replace/fix what they screw up. When you do this install yourself and mess up you are then screwed on whatever you mess up.
I let the pros do it -- Just like you say -- if it gets screwed up at least I can get P.Oed at someone other than myself

·
Registered
623 Posts
The only reason I say have them do it is becasue your 3 year 36,000 still covers the new parts, so if they break 2 years down the road then they have to fix it at no cost.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm not to familar wih this particular kit but any major changes in suspension and ANY change in ride height needs a 4 wheel alignment.
You don't need air tools or a lift, though airtools are faster. Its up to you. I prefer to do things myself as seeing the hack job many shops/dealers do in the name of speed turns me off. You also have the ability to change, modify, replace other parts in the fuure for free and gain valuable knowledge.

However, If the saturn installation doesn't add much more to the cost then you may as well take the easier and safer road

·
Registered
129 Posts
Old Parts

Were you given the parts they removed from your Sky? Since they are brand new you may be able to sell them to recoupe some of your costs. I know that I would insist on getting them from the dealership. Even if it were to just keep them....just in case. I won't be getting the up-grade since I feel that the Sky is fine as it is. Would something like this be necessary or even safer for normal driving? What are the real benifits? Enquiring minds want to know. :)
Jayne

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jayne said:
Were you given the parts they removed from your Sky? Since they are brand new you may be able to sell them to recoupe some of your costs. I know that I would insist on getting them from the dealership. Even if it were to just keep them....just in case. I won't be getting the up-grade since I feel that the Sky is fine as it is. Would something like this be necessary or even safer for normal driving? What are the real benifits? Enquiring minds want to know. :)
Jayne
GREAT point, by law they have to give you them. Defineltly nice to have and probaly worth some nice money.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
teh-cut said:
However, If the saturn installation doesn't add much more to the cost then you may as well take the easier and safer road
dmbdlatc said he found it for about $1295 and Ernest had it installed for $1495 total, sounds like a well spent $200 to me.:thumbs:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TexSon said:
dmbdlatc said he found it for about $1295 and Ernest had it installed for $1495 total, sounds like a well spent $200 to me.:thumbs:
Slow down, there sonny. In one of Ernest's post above he said, "Was told by my service manager that since it was bought and installed buy Saturn dealer, warranty would not be affected. MIne is a Saturn kit. $1495, dealer installed comp on labor

I took that as Ernest had some sort of relationship with the dealer and the dealer did a complimentary (read that as FREE) install. So, IF a dealer is able to sell it at $1,295.00, his cost has got to be lower than that. So while the dealer is installing it at $1,495.00 he covered the install with the $200.00 difference AND his mark up from whatever his cost was, to $1,295.00

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, $200.00 was a GREAT deal. Unfortunately, my dealer want's $1,995.00 installed. So I'm looking at a $700.00 installation fee. $1,295 to $1,995

Is that a good deal?:confused: Those are my two choices.

·
Registered
623 Posts
dmbdlatc said:
Yes, $200.00 was a GREAT deal. Unfortunately, my dealer want's $1,995.00 installed. So I'm looking at a $700.00 installation fee. $1,295 to $1,995

Is that a good deal?:confused: Those are my two choices.
Tell your dealer "Crack is Whack!"

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.