Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From the Solstice site today, an official looking GM printout:
0-60; 7.2seconds
Fuel tank appr 13.8 gal
early 2006: 5 speed automatic

Since the two Kappas are virtual twins underneath it would follow that performance of idential equipped machines would be the same.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
If the Sky ends up being 170/162 instead of 177/166 like the Solstice the fuel economy might come out a MPG better or so for low and high end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Of course its great that a car is as fuel efficient as possible. However if I can afford to get a sky I dont plan on it being my daily driver so I wont mind if its not the most efficient car I have ever owned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
From everything I've seen on the Sky vs Solstice, I think the Sky is going to end up being wider/heavier than the Solstice. Now, let's assume that the engine puts out 170 hp and the car weighs 2860 lbs. That gives it 16.8 lbs per horsepower. I know gearing will be a factor, but I'm looking for a car that can do 0-60 in about 7 to maybe 7.5 seconds. And, no turbo. Also, I'm a minimalist. I don't want Onstar, I don't want leather, I don't need power windows. I'll accept remote outside rear view mirrors, thanks. I want to hear the engine, I want to hear the exhaust, I don't care about the radio. I want to be one with the car. I enjoy the driving experience and I don't want anything to get in the way of it. If they can build a base Sky that's like the Lotus Elise or the Exige and price it in half, I'll buy one. If other people want options, that's fine, just let me have what I want and let them have what they want, just don't make it standard. :banghead: I have a fear that this thing's gonna be too heavy or too underpowered. If they could make the weight/power ratio about 15 lbs per horsepower, I'd feel a LOT better.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
The Sky IS the Solstice. They will both weigh the same and be exactly the same size except the Sky is 4 inches longer due to it's nose jutting out more then the Solstice. Even that does not add extra weight because it's only plstic jutting out, and no other extra frame or anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
kjtar said:
...Also, I'm a minimalist. I don't want Onstar, I don't want leather, I don't need power windows. I'll accept remote outside rear view mirrors, thanks. I want to hear the engine, I want to hear the exhaust, I don't care about the radio.
Might I recommend the base Solstice, then? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
swatthefly said:
that was my thought. save yourself $5k and get what you really want!
:cheers: I appreciate what you're saying, but (at least in pictures, and I know that in "real life" they can look different) I like the way the Sky looks better than the Solstice. So, I guess I was just kind of hoping that Sky could be configured as a "base" model and options could be added for those who wished them. But, the way things look now (and I know this could change) I think that you may be right, the Solstice might be more my "cup of tea" so to speak. But, Saturn, if you're listening, don't discount my opinion, okay? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
kjtar said:
:cheers: I appreciate what you're saying, but (at least in pictures, and I know that in "real life" they can look different) I like the way the Sky looks better than the Solstice. So, I guess I was just kind of hoping that Sky could be configured as a "base" model and options could be added for those who wished them. But, the way things look now (and I know this could change) I think that you may be right, the Solstice might be more my "cup of tea" so to speak. But, Saturn, if you're listening, don't discount my opinion, okay? :)

Well...you could buy a base solstice then simply change all the body panels to that of the sky...

You could call it....the skystice....or solsky....or just sly....but thats a color for the car....might work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
kjtar said:
:cheers: I appreciate what you're saying, but (at least in pictures, and I know that in "real life" they can look different) I like the way the Sky looks better than the Solstice. So, I guess I was just kind of hoping that Sky could be configured as a "base" model and options could be added for those who wished them. But, the way things look now (and I know this could change) I think that you may be right, the Solstice might be more my "cup of tea" so to speak. But, Saturn, if you're listening, don't discount my opinion, okay? :)
yeah, i hear what you are saying. i like the looks of the sky so much better than the solstice. so its totally fine for you to think that. it just sounded to me that function was more important than form to you. pick whichever you want, i know you'll love either one!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nocturn said:
Well...you could buy a base solstice then simply change all the body panels to that of the sky...

You could call it....the skystice....or solsky....or just sly....but thats a color for the car....might work.
This is not an unheard of possibility. Remember the beloved Fiero, one of the reasons for milling the attachment points to fine standards would have been to allow easy changes of panels. I recall a Nissan a few years back that you could buy optional rear panels to change from coupe to fastback to shooting brake (or was that in a dream) Currently the car Mercedes calls Smart and sells all over Europe has quick-change body panels and you can change the whole color or mix and match.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
achieftain said:
This is not an unheard of possibility. Remember the beloved Fiero, one of the reasons for milling the attachment points to fine standards would have been to allow easy changes of panels. I recall a Nissan a few years back that you could buy optional rear panels to change from coupe to fastback to shooting brake (or was that in a dream) Currently the car Mercedes calls Smart and sells all over Europe has quick-change body panels and you can change the whole color or mix and match.
IIRC that was the Nissan Pulsar NX. I don't see many of those still on the roads...
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top