Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always done my own oil changes but now I need some help. My floor jack won't fit under my new Sky. First, any leads on where to buy a "low profile jack" that will fit my budjet? I have seen several on the internet for 3 or 4 hundred bucks, but that is kind-of expensive just to change my oil. Second, where the heck is the oil filter, and the spark plugs too. I really don't want to take my new Sky into a "Quicky Oil Change Mart" to have the oil changed and hope they don't damage my new toy. We took her on a 50 mile ride up the coast today, sun shining, top down, music up loud, and it was fantastic. If you don't have your Sky yet, it is worth the wait, and if you have your Sky, you know what I am talking about!!

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Take it to the dealer. Much safer that way.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
Plus

tjfox said:
Take it to the dealer. Much safer that way.
Especially the first time on a new car. It is better if the dealer does it. And it helps keep the warrenty intact, rather then having someone (yourself included) do unathorized work on it. I know people that have voided a warrenty because of some actions, simple as they might be

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doing it myself

Sorry to disagree. I am 100+ miles from my dealer. I have always taken exceptional care of my cars and my Sky will be no different. I'm in this for the long term, I keep my cars for 10+ years and the SKY will be no different. I just need info to help me take the best care of my new little car the best way I can. Thank you for your comments but I need info.

Peeksdad
Silver Pearl
LSD

·
Registered
802 Posts
peeksdad said:
I have always done my own oil changes but now I need some help. My floor jack won't fit under my new Sky. First, any leads on where to buy a "low profile jack" that will fit my budjet? I have seen several on the internet for 3 or 4 hundred bucks, but that is kind-of expensive just to change my oil. Second, where the heck is the oil filter, and the spark plugs too. I really don't want to take my new Sky into a "Quicky Oil Change Mart" to have the oil changed and hope they don't damage my new toy. We took her on a 50 mile ride up the coast today, sun shining, top down, music up loud, and it was fantastic. If you don't have your Sky yet, it is worth the wait, and if you have your Sky, you know what I am talking about!!
Get some metal ramps, just drive it up slowly, set the brake and you've got it! I thought the first change was free anyway (isn't it?)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I agree with the rest...... 100 miles or not, take it to the dealer. Make a day out of it, have the shuttle drop you off at a mall or something, whatever. I wouldn't recommend you doing it yourself. In fact if you decide not to, at least call the service department to find out what kind of products they are using, etc.

·
Registered
262 Posts
peeksdad said:
Sorry to disagree. I am 100+ miles from my dealer.
Some have bought their cars from dealers farther from home because of availablility, price, or the ability to order exactly what they want. I don't know if that situation is you or not.

I suppose that you know this already, but you don't have to take it to YOUR dealer. Any dealer will do and can do the oil change or other service if you elect to have a dealer do it.

For DIY: I think that the ramps are an excellent idea.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Angelqute1 said:
I agree with the rest...... 100 miles or not, take it to the dealer. Make a day out of it, have the shuttle drop you off at a mall or something, whatever. I wouldn't recommend you doing it yourself. In fact if you decide not to, at least call the service department to find out what kind of products they are using, etc.
MMMM, shopping. A girl after my own heart....:thumbs:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm a wuss when it comes to car maintenance. Where's the closest dealer or service garage?...............:cool:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
SkyRaider said:
I'm a wuss when it comes to car maintenance. Where's the closest dealer or service garage?...............:cool:

:agree: , me too!! :D I would find the closest dealer and have it done there. I've heard of the panels cracking because the car wasn't "lifted" properly...I wouldn't want to take that kind of chance!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've never taken any of my cars to the dealer for an oil change. I'm in the same situation with my dealer being well over an hour away. With the pace of my life, I don't have time to make a day out of an oil change. However, I am worried about lifting this car on a lift at some oil change place. I may take it to the dealer for the first oil change.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You should be careful bringing your sky anywhere but the dealer. There are special lift adapters that were sent to Saturn dealers to hoist the car. I have seen pictures of damaged Sky's from improper lifting. As for the oil filter location, it is located under the hood on top of the engine near the firewall. It's a cartridge type oil filter rather than a spin on type. Be sure not to over tighten the filter cover as it is only plastic.

·
Registered
154 Posts
DIY oil change

Peeksdad, Sorry, we as a forum, have not been able to be more supportive about your oil change situation.
If I had the info about the location of the oil filter I would be more than happy to share it. As to the spark plugs most of them today can go at a very long time, as much as 100,000 miles and more.
As to the ramps, I would be cautious about using them myself only from the ground clearance point of view. I can't even drive straight into my own driveway apron because of the low clearance. I am not sure that most of the commercially available ramps would actually fit under the front.
I have heard talk of short " bottle jacks" that some of the forum memmbers use, maybe someone who has a little expertise in this area can post something a little more useful.
Good luck with your quest, let us all know how you make out. I think this is what the forum is supposed to be about, sharing information, not trying to project our fellings/situation onto you.:)

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
is 3.5" good ?

peeksdad said:
http://www.asedeals.com/aluminum_jack.html has a jack with 3.5" lowered height for $184 - they have some as low as 3.1" but they are in the $350+ category.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try Harbor Freight...they don't necessarily have the best quality stuff, but you can get some great deals. here's one that has 3" minimum height:
aluminum racing jack.

there are more in there as well, just do a search for 'floor jack'. Also, i seem to remember a post on here somewhere saying that you need some sort of adapter or plug (similar to what is needed on newer Corvettes) to fit in to the slots in the frame for jacking the car up. Granted, I don't own a Sky so I can't confirm this.

edit: found the thread.

Also, if you want to go the ramp route, there are adapters you can get for cars that are really low to the ground. They basically extend the ramp out a ways to make it a more gradual slope. Like this:
Griot's Garage.

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Jacking up the SKY seems to be a problem for the "amateurs" amongst us. I am one of those who let others service my car, but occasionally would still like to be able to pull a tire for inspections -- painting calipers and detailed cleaning. Looks like I'll have to invest some CASH in new jacks. I even wonder where to put jack stands once the car is raised.... :confused:
Good luck in your quest to be able to change your own oil. Oh and BTW I think the oil filter is ON TOP of the engine. So you only need to get under to drain.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just something that came to mind...if you have a Sky and want to take it to the dealer for an oil change, but live far from a Saturn dealer...I am sure a Pontiac dealer could do just as good as a job since they work on the Solstice. There are many more Pontiac dealers then there are Saturn dealers.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Stu's Sky said:
Just something that came to mind...if you have a Sky and want to take it to the dealer for an oil change, but live far from a Saturn dealer...I am sure a Pontiac dealer could do just as good as a job since they work on the Solstice. There are many more Pontiac dealers then there are Saturn dealers.
Not a bad thought -- as GM service is GM service.. Right?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I am one that has never taken my cars to get serviced, especially oil changes. I was planning on doing my own oil changes myself on the SKY. The method I found that works the best with low cars is to get ramps and then long board (like 6ft.-make sure they are sturdy, btw never broke one yet and that was with a 96 Grand AM and a 01 Solara) and place them apart enough to drive on. The long boards will allow the minimal angle and not make your car go straight up like the ramps do. This will then allow you to drive up onto the ramps without hitting anything underneath the car.

The problem I have with using the dealer or a Jiffy Lube is that they will put in oil that I do not recommend using. I want to go full synthetic Mobil1 and I am sure even if they do have that oil they will use it but I will always wonder if they did or not. Charge me for it but use a cheap oil instead :confused: I had a buddy one time worked at a Jiffy Lube for a while and he said at the end of the day they pour whatever that is left into a big 55 gal drum and use it later. I asked him if he was kidding and he asked "Do I look like I'm kidding?" and didn't even crack a smile!

So the long and short of it is if you are not comfortable with doing an oil change I would not use anyone except for Saturn to chane it and if you are comfortable doing it yourself just be sure to keep all receipts for the oil and filters you purchase and the dates/mileage you changed it. This is good hard evidence for warranty questions later:thumbs: !

1 - 20 of 92 Posts