Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
For about the past 1.5 hours, I have been trying, without success, to reset my Oil Life Monitor (OLM) on the DIC. I have been using these instructions from the 2008 Saturn Sky Owners Manual:

How to Reset the Engine Oil Life System:
After changing the engine oil, the system must be reset:
1. Turn the ignition to ON/RUN, with the engine off.
2. Press the information and reset buttons on the
Driver Information Center (DIC) at the same
time to enter the personalization menu. See DIC
Vehicle Personalization on page 3-45.
3. Press the information button to scroll through the
available personalization menu modes until the
DIC display shows OIL-LIFE RESET.
4. Press and hold the reset button until the DIC display
shows ACKNOWLEDGED. This will tell you the
system has been reset.
5. Turn the key to LOCK/OFF.
If the CHANGE OIL SOON message comes back on
when you start your vehicle, the engine oil life system
has not reset. Repeat the reset procedure

What I have tried:
First, I thought that maybe I am not holding the buttons long enough? So I timed my hold with the stopwatch on my phone and repeated the procedure, holding for 60+ sec. No workey!

Next, I thought that maybe the engine must be run and then shut off before starting the reset. So, I started the engine and ran for 6-7 sec, and shut off, waited 60 sec, repeated the procedure. No workey.

Next, I noticed that the Cruise Control was on so, I shut off the CC and tried again. Still No workey!

I was turning the ignition key off and then back on between attempts, and I thought maybe the key needs to be off for a certain amount of time before another attempt? I shut off the ignition and timed 60 sec, and tried again. Still no workey!

I wasn't sure what should be in the DIC display when attempting a reset, so I tried starting a reset with Outside Air Temp/Odometer. No workey.

Then I scrolled the DIC to the OLM, shut off the key for 60 sec and repeated. Still no workey!

Some on the 'net say to turn on the ignition, pump the gas pedal 3 times and hold. Then the OLM "Should" reset. No dice.

Then I wondered, do I hold the pedal down on the 3rd stroke or pump one more stroke and hold? So, I tried 3+1 and hold. Nothing!

This is supposed to be so easy that "Even a Caveman can do it," Right? Not for me!

Just to be sure: The "Reset Button" is the top button on the left spoke of the steering wheel, right? It says "RES+", and the "Information Button" is the second one from the bottom which says "INFO," correct?

What am I missing? It MUST be something simple!

After all of the above attempts I was looking for the "personalization menu" to appear, but it NEVER did! That is what I meant by "No Workey."

Can ANYONE suggest ANYTHING that I am missing?? PLEASE!!??

Yogi

Super Moderator
What @mstrjon32 said. The "RES" button is the Cruise Control "RESume" button.

Reactions: Yogi

Super Moderator
There is another way to reset it.

Turn your key to the run position but do not start the car. Press the accelerator pedal ALL the way to the floor, pause and release. Do this three times in quick succession.

Oil life monitor should reset. This is a trick for most GM vehicles.

Super Moderator
There is another way to reset it.

Turn your key to the run position but do not start the car. Press the accelerator pedal ALL the way to the floor, pause and release. Do this three times in quick succession.

Oil life monitor should reset. This is a trick for most GM vehicles.
He said that he tried that and could not get it to work.

Super Moderator
He said that he tried that and could not get it to work.
Funny because I read this:

Some on the 'net say to turn on the ignition, pump the gas pedal 3 times and hold. Then the OLM "Should" reset. No dice.

Then I wondered, do I hold the pedal down on the 3rd stroke or pump one more stroke and hold? So, I tried 3+1 and hold. Nothing!
Which is not doing this:

Press the accelerator pedal ALL the way to the floor, pause and release. Do this three times in quick succession.
(Note there is no mention of holding the gas pedal after pump three and no fourth press and hold?)

So if he did three and hold or four and hold, he did not try what i mentioned and that has worked on both my Skys, my truck, and my Grand Prix. The pauses are just that...a pause. Not a hold. Each press, pause, release should take about one second each. (three seconds start to finish for all three cycles).

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
First, I want to apologize for the slow response to all of your answers. For some reason, the site has stopped sending notifications to me. Thanks for all of the good info!

So, I just went out into the garage and made another attempt. I retried Robo's 3 pedal push first but nothing happened.
Next, I tried the Info + Reset method. All of this time I had been expecting the "Personalization Menu" to appear while I was HOLDING the buttons down. Imagine my surprise when I released the buttons and the Menu popped up! I was so surprised that I forgot what to do next, LOL! So I repeated holding the buttons (the bottom two, thank you, John!) and released, and PRESTO! There was the Menu! I scrolled to "Oil Life", pressed the "REAL" Reset button, It finally said "ACKNOWLEDGED"! YAY! Mystery solved!
Thanks again to all who posted and helped me solve this problem!
Yogi

Reactions: CoopSky and JohnWR

Super Moderator
Glad you got that resolved. I am surprised the three pedal push didn't do it but I have this nagging memory that the process may have changed at some point. On my early 2007 the three push method works but I have never remember the button method when I do my oil. LOL

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for your help, Robo!

Registered
I successfully did this on my ex's 2007 one time. However, I read somewhere it doesn't work for later model years.

Glad you got that resolved. I am surprised the three pedal push didn't do it but I have this nagging memory that the process may have changed at some point. On my early 2007 the three push method works but I have never remember the button method when I do my oil. LOL

Super Moderator
I successfully did this on my ex's 2007 one time. However, I read somewhere it doesn't work for later model years.
Wasn't the ECM changed between the '07 and '08 model years?

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
I believe that you are correct, John, at least for the LNF.
A couple of years ago, I went to help another Sky owner who was trying to rebuild his 2008 Redline with parts from a salvaged 2007. As I recall, he ran into serious trouble when he tried to install the 07 engine harness into the 08 - no workey! There were major differences so, it would not surprise me if the ECMs were also different.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts