Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my Sky in for an oil change and the service dept didnt reset the oil life. I cant seem to find my manual. Is this something I can do myself? I hate to take it back again if its something simple.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
1. Turn the ignition to run, with the engine off.

2. Press the information and reset buttons on the DIC at the same time to enter the personalization menu.

3. Press the information button to scroll through the menu until the display shows OIL-LIFE RESET.

4. Press the reset button until the DIC shows ACKNOWLEDGED.

5. Turn the key to lock.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was going to ask the same question!

·
Registered
380 Posts
This is a great forum. I learn a lot from it.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
So does that mean the DIC oil life meter is just set to a timer/milage amount?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
1994SC2 said:
So does that mean the DIC oil life meter is just set to a timer/milage amount?
nope, it is a computer calculation that takes into account the temperature, engine loading along with mileage, rpms and everything to decide when to change your oil, it could be as low as 3,000 miles or as high as 12,000....
i usually get ming changed at 50 to 60 percent on the monitor...

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
nope, it is a computer calculation that takes into account the temperature, engine loading along with mileage, rpms and everything to decide when to change your oil, it could be as low as 3,000 miles or as high as 12,000....
Thank you SkyMan!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
Why so soon? the Owners Manual recommends <20% (or when it tells you)...
Just wondering. Since we both agree the 3000 mile rule really is overkill -- why change so often?

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
2004 Honda Civic

Just had my oil changed in my 2004 Honda Civc at the dealer and the sticker they put on the windshield for next oil change is 7,000 miles away.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Got my oil changed at the dealer when I posted those first underside pics of the dual exhaust... Two things I learned then.

1. Their system didn't allow for a "2007 SKY" to be tracked in the service department, so my car became an Ion for a few minutes...

2. They forgot to reset my oil life meter, too! Sooner or later I bet they'll learn that they gotta do that to the SKYs.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Just had the oil changed today. To reset the 'oil life' read out you first turn the key so the control panels light up, scroll down through the read outs to the "oil Life" line, then push the gas pedel down 3 times and hold it. The "oil life" reading will go back to 100%. Just saw the tech do it today.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Kustomkaps said:
Just had the oil changed today. To reset the 'oil life' read out you first turn the key so the control panels light up, scroll down through the read outs to the "oil Life" line, then push the gas pedel down 3 times and hold it. The "oil life" reading will go back to 100%. Just saw the tech do it today.
I haven't tried it yet so I can't be sure, but the owners manual says nothing about pushing the gas pedel 3 times.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Kustomkaps , read your manual about resetting the oil life counter. It says nothing about depressing the gas pedal or clicking ones heels and saying there is no place like home. Skip...do it right...:)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I haven't tried it yet so I can't be sure, but the owners manual says nothing about pushing the gas pedel 3 times.
Had my oil changed today. Kustomkaps is right. Key on, engine off, push gas to the floor 3 times. The instructions in the owners manual also work.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes, you press the pedal 3 times. This is inside info that we don't usually tell people. You teckkies are on the ball!

·
Registered
994 Posts
I'll be picking up my car later today. They were working on the issues I posted before mostly trunk related. One item they are replacing is the passenger side door sill because it got bent. They couldn't do it yesterday because they were sent the driver's side one. Aren't they the same just turned around?:confused: The manager aslo said to change the oil every 3,000 miles which goes against the indicator and forum feelings. Maybe he thinks they'll make more changes/money that way. He did recommend the Mobil 1 also. They needed to talk to Saturn tech. about the foam cubes in the trunk and what to do with them. I'll post tonight after I pick it up if there is anything interesting.:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
push the gas pedel down 3 times and hold it.
I pressed the gas pedal to the floor three times, and then held it, and the speedometer read 134 when the officer pulled me over. Do you think the judge will buy the fact that I was just resetting my oil life indicator?:nono:

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I pressed the gas pedal to the floor three times, and then held it, and the speedometer read 134 when the officer pulled me over. Do you think the judge will buy the fact that I was just resetting my oil life indicator?:nono:
Key on, engine off.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts