Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all just bought a used sky and got it home and noticed oil under rearend. what the #$#%$%$$???any one got any ideas what it could be??

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!

Yup, leaky rearends aren't new here. More than likely it's either the differential pinion seal if the leak is towards the front of the diff and possibly spattered on exhaust, or the differential relief valve if you see spotting towards the rear of the diff. It's just something to bring to your service dept to get straightened out.

·
Registered
482 Posts
You missed one cerberus. Stub shaft seals if the leak is at the sides.......Maverick had a leaky rear end....oops thats probably too much information.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
You missed one cerberus. Stub shaft seals if the leak is at the sides.......Maverick had a leaky rear end....oops thats probably too much information.
Oh,,, I'm always missing one, no matter what the topic (cards in a deck?). I just tried to hit the common ones to fail so far. Aren't there 5 seals on the diff? Fore & aft pinion, each side of axle, and carrier cover...

·
Registered
991 Posts
And if you hit something hard......cracks!!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Just spoke with my service guy Saturday. My Sky had the leaking
diff. Got the repair kit installed and it started leaking again after
~1500 miles. New service bulletin is out to add an extension
tube to the diff vent. Also, possibility of over filled diff.

More to come.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oil!

My hubby just noticed that there was oil on the floor under the left side tires, both front and back! What the??? I made an appt with service this week to get it checked out. I love my new car! I don't want any problems!! I'm wondering if my issue is the same, the differential? It's all a foreign language to me...I'll post a reply when I know what the problem is :confused:

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
My hubby just noticed that there was oil on the floor under the left side tires, both front and back! What the??? I made an appt with service this week to get it checked out. I love my new car! I don't want any problems!! I'm wondering if my issue is the same, the differential? It's all a foreign language to me...I'll post a reply when I know what the problem is :confused:
The differential would only be at the rear of the car - do you park the car facing different directions? That might explain the stains at both ends...

If not, the leak near the front wheel might be the shock... definitely get it to the dealer ASAP.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The differential would only be at the rear of the car - do you park the car facing different directions? That might explain the stains at both ends...

If not, the leak near the front wheel might be the shock... definitely get it to the dealer ASAP.
Or brake fluid -(you mention it is near the tires)- all the more reason to take it in...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oil under car

Nope, my car is faced the same way all the time & there are definite oil marks under both left tires. I'm taking it in on Saturday. The brakes seem ok, although the clutch does squeak when I shift....I hope the problem gets resolved quickly & accurately! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
The dealership looked at my Sky on Sat. They couldn't find anything by the front tires, but the back left shock absorber is leaking. I'm waiting for the part to come in. Should be replaced soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts