Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone mentioned that if you don't get the premium sound system, you lose the controls on the steering wheel! Tell me this isn't true. Thats a really really cool feature. Oh yeh SC2, looking at your interior, looks like the piano black is kinda scratched.. im wondering if it is easily scratchable like my piano black ipod....

·
Registered
304 Posts
I believe the controls come with the premium TRIM not the premium stereo.

Yep, just verified this on the saturn website under features-premium trim package.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
skyguy85 said:
Someone mentioned that if you don't get the premium sound system, you lose the controls on the steering wheel! Tell me this isn't true. Thats a really really cool feature. Oh yeh SC2, looking at your interior, looks like the piano black is kinda scratched.. im wondering if it is easily scratchable like my piano black ipod....
Nah, it was just looking terrible because i was experimenting with cleaning supplies, that one happened to leave a ton of smudges. It definately isnt like a black nano (mine looks like an SOS pad went nuts on it), though it does static cling dust and finger prints do show up much like electronics you may have with black plastic on it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Speaking of which, how does your nano do in the Sky? My car doesn't have a jack, so I use the tape adapter. I can either contol the volume by the sterio or the nano. My friend has a Civic and he uses the radio transmitter. He can only adjust the volume with his sterio, the nano doesn't do it when its in his car. What happens in the Sky?

SO happy my Sky will have the wheel-contols.:D

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Hmmm haven't tried the ipod yet - been loving XM - Ill check it out when I get out of class.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
skyguy85 said:
Speaking of which, how does your nano do in the Sky? My car doesn't have a jack, so I use the tape adapter. I can either contol the volume by the sterio or the nano. My friend has a Civic and he uses the radio transmitter. He can only adjust the volume with his sterio, the nano doesn't do it when its in his car. What happens in the Sky?

SO happy my Sky will have the wheel-contols.:D
I was reading somewhere (PLEASE don't ask where) but saw that the Monsoon allows complete control of MP3, sort/play by artist/song/genre etc... Never having had an MP3 player (beyond on my computer) -- am I in for a treat? Nightmare?:willy:
Will I like an Ipod to plug in or stick to overpacked CDs (with MP3 files)???:confused: :willy:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Probably referring to MP3 CDs and not MP3 players?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Hmm...this is an interesting topic...regarding the stereo control with an iPod. I've been researching this very thing in many of the cars that I have looked at over the past few months. I was under the impression that the Sky simply has an audio in jack...which basically just enables your iPod to play directly through the cars speakers without an FM transmitter or cassette adapter. It would also mean that the only function that is controlled by the car's stereo is the volume and not any of the other iPod controls such as skipping forward to the next song...I also believe it will not display the artist/song title on the car's stereo LCD display. Again...I could be wrong about this...so I'm only speculating. However, if the car had a direct iPod accessory connection (something that IS available on some cars -- BMW, VW, Audi, Toyota, to name a few) then the iPod controls are controlled through the audio controls on the steering wheel.

Perhaps somebody can prove me wrong or confirm this?

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
I was reading somewhere (PLEASE don't ask where) but saw that the Monsoon allows complete control of MP3, sort/play by artist/song/genre etc... Never having had an MP3 player (beyond on my computer) -- am I in for a treat? Nightmare?:willy:
Will I like an Ipod to plug in or stick to overpacked CDs (with MP3 files)???:confused: :willy:
You can control MP3s that are burned on CDs that are being played by the player. It cannot control a MP3 player that is attached to the stereo - the input is a one-way line-in (like an AUX on other stereos).

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Spag said:
You can control MP3s that are burned on CDs that are being played by the player. It cannot control a MP3 player that is attached to the stereo - the input is a one-way line-in (like an AUX on other stereos).
Yes -- Yes -- I bet that is absolutely correct -- You had that control with MP3 CDs but the jack was controlled by whatever source you use...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good to know, because I exclusivly use my Ipod... I don't even carry my cd's in my car anymore and it's a good thing since the Sky has no room for the sort.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Burn an MP3

skyguy85 said:
Good to know, because I exclusivly use my Ipod... I don't even carry my cd's in my car anymore and it's a good thing since the Sky has no room for the sort.
Keep in mind that you can fit a LOT of MP3 tracks on a single CD compared to an Audio CD - so if you have the 6 disk changer you could potentially have a huge portion of your entirely collection loaded onto 6 MP3/CDs and not have to use the iPod while in the car

·
Registered
122 Posts
don't spend the extra money on the Mp3-ready stereo. the standard ones all come with the AUX input. just get an ipod, put your cds into it (through itunes), and you're set.

the 1/8" AUX cable is like 2 bucks at radio shack, and it works great. you just have to have your ipod at like 70-75% volume to it doesn't distort (like the transmitter). only problem (small one) is that when you switch to normal FM/AM or CD, it will be a lot louder, since you have to compensate for the lower output on the ipod.

still better than CD though, by far, heck, for the price you would pay for a six-disc/mP3-ready sterero, you can get an ipod. trust me, you won't regret it

*this is a paid advertisement from Apple, all hail Steve Jobs

·
Registered
804 Posts
:agree:
iPod is the way to go. CD's are on the decline now anyway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts