Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there,
I wanted to import this car to the middle east where my parents are.
i just have a few questions , hopefully some one here can help me out
1- is this an "AMERICAN CAR" ? says on the door panel made in USA ?
2- is there a way to go around the tax fees for this car if you want to import it to another country ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and another question,
it seems like the roadster the black licenseplate , you can fit a euro plate

but the pontiac you cant

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
Might want

p3rsian said:
hi there,
2- is there a way to go around the tax fees for this car if you want to import it to another country ?
The Opel GT is the same car and is being sold in Europe.
So, Good luck Whichever way you go.

·
Registered
692 Posts
why not just order an Opel GT over in the mid-east? Save the shipping cost etc...

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
p3rsian said:
hi there,
On your first point, the car is made in Wilmington, Deleware, on the East Coast of the United States. The Opel GT, mentioned by other posters, is to be made in the exact same plant, and exported to Germany (and other European nations, perhaps even the Middle East.) The Opel GT will be equivalent to the SKY Red Line (with Turbo) but will be trimmed to look more like the base Saturn SKY sold in the US.

To the second point, Sales Tax is a state instutiton, not a national institution. Some sates, such as Alaska and Nevada (New Hampshire, too, I believe) have no state sales tax. Other states, like California where I live, you can pay nearly 8% of the price of the car in additional taxes.

·
Registered
18,100 Posts
p3rsian said:
hi there,
You don't import to overseas..u export...u stand corrected, unless u r already overseas...then u import...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
StarlightSky said:
why not just order an Opel GT over in the mid-east? Save the shipping cost etc...
ok here is my question i Just checked dealers in the middle east and europe.
seems like not all opel dealers sell the GT.
do dealers usually ship to each other ?
like buy it from europe and ship to dealer in DUBAI then ship to iran (where i want it)

i just checked the rates and it seems the GT is priced at starting Base Price: 2007 Opel GT - 29,900 €
which is 38k USD

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
p3rsian said:
like buy it from europe and ship to dealer in DUBAI then ship to iran (where i want it)

i just checked the rates and it seems the GT is priced at starting Base Price: 2007 Opel GT - 29,900 €
which is 38k USD
No Opel dealer will have any GT's yet. Depending on when you want the car over there, you may be better off with the Saturn. If you can wait until they release the GT, then I would get the GT.

While the 38,000 dollars may seem like a lot more then the SKY, you also have to think about the transport, tax and other costs that are added to the Saturn you would be exporting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
todaresqSL2 said:
No Opel dealer will have any GT's yet. Depending on when you want the car over there, you may be better off with the Saturn. If you can wait until they release the GT, then I would get the GT.

While the 38,000 dollars may seem like a lot more then the SKY, you also have to think about the transport, tax and other costs that are added to the Saturn you would be exporting.
i will also need to consider the 200% tariff for importing the car to iran :banghead:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
p3rsian said:
i will also need to consider the 200% tariff for importing the car to iran :banghead:
200% -- Boy no wonder we (USA) are not popular there

·
Registered
149 Posts
The tariff would be done by the Iranian gov't not the US.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
tjfox said:
The tariff would be done by the Iranian gov't not the US.
LOL OK -- No wonder we can't compete!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
p3rsian said:

which is 38k USD
Technically the Sky RL and the Opel GT are the same cars besides of some small differences:
- the badges of course
- front bumper without turning lights (better looking with some colours)
- rear bumper has a wider room for licence plate (long and small european)
- European licensed front lights (difference??)
- some others ??

Something you have to know comparing prices is that US prices are without tax, European prices included tax (VAT).
Because only the RL/GT will be ex(im)ported, we can only compare that price:

Sky RL - US$ 27,895 without tax
Opel GT - € 29,990 incl. 16% VAT
Opel GT - € 25,775 without tax
exchange rate: 1 US$ = 1.28 €
Opel GT - US$ 32,990 without tax

The difference of US$ 5,000 is a lot of money for handling and shipping to Europe. If I add the leather seats, monsoon and transport in Germany I count another ~ 1,800 € plus tax, so I have € 27,575 + 16% tax = € 32,000 ($41,000) just to my door.

Back to the question: there is no commercial advantage in shipping an Opel GT from Germany instead of a Sky RL from USA (out of a tax free state).
The other pro by direct exporting from USA is you can select between four models of Sky/Solstice - depends on your personal taste.

And you have to find a dealer / exporter who will do the export for you. Don't know what you have to pay for that handling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
C20LET_50 said:
Technically the Sky RL and the Opel GT are the same cars besides of some small differences:
- the badges of course
- front bumper without turning lights (better looking with some colours)
- rear bumper has a wider room for licence plate (long and small european)
- European licensed front lights (difference??)
- some others ??

Something you have to know comparing prices is that US prices are without tax, European prices included tax (VAT).
Because only the RL/GT will be ex(im)ported, we can only compare that price:

Sky RL - US$ 27,895 without tax
Opel GT - € 29,990 incl. 16% VAT
Opel GT - € 25,775 without tax
exchange rate: 1 US$ = 1.28 €
Opel GT - US$ 32,990 without tax

The difference of US$ 5,000 is a lot of money for handling and shipping to Europe. If I add the leather seats, monsoon and transport in Germany I count another ~ 1,800 € plus tax, so I have € 27,575 + 16% tax = € 32,000 ($41,000) just to my door.

Back to the question: there is no commercial advantage in shipping an Opel GT from Germany instead of a Sky RL from USA (out of a tax free state).
The other pro by direct exporting from USA is you can select between four models of Sky/Solstice - depends on your personal taste.

And you have to find a dealer / exporter who will do the export for you. Don't know what you have to pay for that handling.
thanks for all the help
the shipping price is 1700 from LA to where i want it.
now my question is this, where would be the best place to buy this saturn car paying the least tax and fees ?
I need this car buy next summer so no rush or anything just looking at my options for now.

again thank you so much for reading this and helping me out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
One other factor that you may want to consider is if there is a difference in duty for a new car vs. a used car. You may be able to save duty by acquiring the car and then driving it for a period of time, before you ship it out.

That used to apply to Mercedes purchased in Europe and shipped to the US.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DSqr said:
One other factor that you may want to consider is if there is a difference in duty for a new car vs. a used car. You may be able to save duty by acquiring the car and then driving it for a period of time, before you ship it out.

That used to apply to Mercedes purchased in Europe and shipped to the US.
you can only ship new cars as in year wise to iran.
I doubt i can save much to see if any one is selling their used car in a year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts