Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think there has been a thread on the subject of the wrinkled top. But I've been looking at all the pics that people send of their beautiful Skys, and my eye can't help but wander to the tops to see if they're smooth or wrinkled in the back. Sad to say, I've noticed alot of wrinkles lately. Is this a design flaw, or will the wrinkle flatten out once the ragtop is broken in? It's a blemish on an otherwise great looking vehicle................................:cool:

·
Registered
308 Posts
don't worry...

Our top has smoothed out with use. It doesn't look bad.
The best part is that it is down most of the time!:thumbs:

·
Registered
804 Posts
I was looking at other cars with rag tops too and found that the curve of the saturn with the 'buttress' makes it a hard curve to keep fabric tight without the wrinkles. I also saw several other, non sky, cars where the tops were cracked at the ridges. Most of the cars I saw that had nice flat tops were very boring straight back styles which made me yawn, so I'll take the wrinkles.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I know this is a bad comparison but...

the new (I think its new) bmw 650i has buttresses in the back and they are tight as can be. I've seen a few on my way to work over the last couple of weeks, very tight top.
and its automatic!

(its only 80k if the tight, auto top is what you need :D :D )

http://www.bmwusa.com/Vehicles/6/650iConvertible/gallery.htm

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
Tighten it up

You can make some adjustments because some of the parts are held in place with velcro, Mainly by the rear window.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
For what it's worth...I think the black top looks less wrinkly than some of the tan tops that I've seen. The wrinkles kinda bug me out too...but I'm hoping that once my Sky gets here, I will get past it.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
nscrbug said:
For what it's worth...I think the black top looks less wrinkly than some of the tan tops that I've seen. The wrinkles kinda bug me out too...but I'm hoping that once my Sky gets here, I will get past it.
I have the black top and dont really notice alot of wrinkles...:)

·
Registered
160 Posts
The wrinkles seem to show more when you first raise the top after it's been down. Then they become less evident after it's had a while to tighten up. My guess is that humidity and temperature will have a lot to do with it. It would be interesting to compare tops say from Arizona versus those in Florida.
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Wrinkles are not unique. I went to the Ferrari Challenge event at Infineon Raceway (Sonoma, CA) on Saturday. I saw several Ferrari convertables and guess what? Yep, wrinkles!

So I figger I'll be in decent company.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Won't see em from the inside:thumbs: Who will see them from the outside as the only time the car will have its top up is when it is raining. -- Any one who stands around car watching in the rain deserves to see wrinkled tops....:thumbs:

·
Registered
802 Posts
SkyRaider said:
I think there has been a thread on the subject of the wrinkled top. But I've been looking at all the pics that people send of their beautiful Skys, and my eye can't help but wander to the tops to see if they're smooth or wrinkled in the back. Sad to say, I've noticed alot of wrinkles lately. Is this a design flaw, or will the wrinkle flatten out once the ragtop is broken in? It's a blemish on an otherwise great looking vehicle................................:cool:
It could use a little more padding at the wrinkle points as the top folds a full 90 degrees (up) at those two positions when stowing it. It seems to be more noticable on the lighter color top. The only way I can see to clear up wrinkling would be to make it entirely of rubber, which wouldn't work/look too well.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just drove by the local Saturn dealer today and the all black SKY sitting on the outdoor podium had just received a good dousing from some heavy showers. In its wet state it showed a lot of wrinkles that I could see from 100 feet away. No different than my tan top. I think it has nothing to do with color but a lot to do with temperature and humidity. A hot wet towel stretches a lot more than a cold dry one. Who drives with the top up anyway?:confused: If its raining who cares:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Luke Sky Watcher said:
The wrinkles seem to show more when you first raise the top after it's been down. Then they become less evident after it's had a while to tighten up. My guess is that humidity and temperature will have a lot to do with it. It would be interesting to compare tops say from Arizona versus those in Florida.
Great idea, lets keep in touch to compare....:thumbs:

·
Registered
138 Posts
yes i was at a dealership this weekend and saw for 4 skys all were sold and yes all the tops were a little winkle but the car is so hot looking that it really did not bother me that much.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
I have found the perfect fix for mine, I keep it stored under the rear clam shell. :lol:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
The Alternative...

Saw a Miata today whose rear window was yellowed, opaque, cracked and sealed with duct tape.

I think I prefer the wrinkles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts