Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you had a chance to buy an old Opel GT (excluding those that already have one) that matched your paint color how much would you pay....
I have a chance to buy the one attached.. and am kinda :willy:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,294 Posts
I looked into buying one a while back, may dad had one and was the reason I decided to rebadge my Skpel. I was going to drop a new 2.0 Turbo in it, but bought a salvage Sky and put it in it. So the quest died very early.

Classic Opel is the web site, ran by the same organization that runs this site. I would check there for pricing and things to look for. There are several people making OEM type parts for them. I think you can get anything you need for them. Normally not terribly expensive.

The SciFi Guy has a couple of them. He modified his Solstice Coupe to be a late model Opel GT. It turned out pretty good. Not into the maching guns though. You have to see it. He gets into his idea about the car 100%

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Is that an old Bricklin next to it? Haven't see those in years...
actually it is, and he is selling it too. (the guy has 12 cars and moved from Ohio) He's lives in my neighborhood
Opel GT
Bricklin (for sale)
El Camino (for Sale)
Rx-7 (1st Gen)
toyota Supra (2nd Gen)
60's econoline Pickup
90's Jeep Wrangler
00's Porsche Boxer
Cadillac SRX
newer benz
a 30's car
and of course a Honda Odyssey

Be careful what u wish for...those old Buick Opels were notorious for leaking oil.
Honestly, if I got it (which the wife will never approve) it would sit often anyway, so I'd just drain the oil so it doesn't get on my driveway :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'd say get it, and find a friend w/ a garage to hide your purchase. My dad did this for years w/ his second 'vette. Maybe your wife will be okay with the car if you don't store it at her house where she has to see it?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I say at least take it for a test drive. Looks to be in good condition. I dated a girl back in the day that bought a new one. She said it would run 70 MPH in first gear. That is when I explained the difference between the speedometer and the tachometer. :lol::lol::lol::lol: I don't remember much else about it.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Every vintage car model has its quirks and trouble areas. With Fieros, two are trunk rust and GT tail lights. I don't know what they are with vintage Opels, but I'd find out and check the car before agreeing to a price. Paint is a huge expense (if done well) restoring a car. That car appears to have been repainted so I'd check the work carefully and ask for receipts. Same with the upholstery. Mileage, miles on the engine since rebuild, clutch rebuild, transmission rebuild, etc. are all price factors.

I really like those classic Opel GTs and that one appears to be especially nice. I love the blue with white interior. If you don't go for it maybe I will ;)

Edit to add: Certainly get a look underneath and find the source of that puddle.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Great looking cars with pretty indifferent performance and handling. If the looks alone are enough to ring the bell for you, go get it. Just don't do it without a good test drive if you are tempted by unrealistic expectations of performance. I used to outpull and outhandle them on the track routinely in my two decade older MG race car.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Friend of mine (who also owns an Opel-badged Sky) has just finished restoring a '71 Opel GT. He had a few back in the day, so is revisiting his youth :).

He has a wealth of knowledge on what to look for and what goes wrong. If you are really serious, I can maybe put you in touch (if he's willing).

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
They certainly are a good looking car. That works both ways - it gets them restored, but it also gets a significant number subjected to sometimes sill engine swaps trying to turn them into a Corvette.

A friend had an original car and bought a spare for parts. It had a 327 swapped in and pretty much fell in half. For some reason they seemed to attract old style V8 conversions and maybe 90% of those were never finished. I did see a rather nicely done Ford 2.3 turbo 4 cylinder in one.

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
I love the old Opel GT's. My neighbors uncle had one and every time he'd visit I would go out and ogle the car as it sat in front of the house. The bulge on the hood for the turbo would later come back to "haunt" me if you will. I had a 1990 Plymouth Laser 2.0 NA and a 1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD. Both cars have a bulge in the hood for the overhead cam's timing belt cover but people constantly would point towards that bulge and ask, "Is that for the Turbo!?"

To this day I feel that question was because of that bulge in the old Opel GTs. LOL

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
The Eagle Talon was a beast! Knew a guy that had modded it to around 400 bhp - impressive!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea I think I (my wife) decided against it, with baby #2 on the way and already having 2 cars, I would probably only drive it to shows and thats about it. where the sky we actually take out on dates and stuff. I'm not super mechanically inclined either, so if it stopped running I'd probably just let it sit... I'm sure someone else would enjoy it more :)

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Loved that car until you needed tires...which was around 15,000 miles. LOL $275/each back in 1993...LOL
Yeah - another car that I have always admired but never quite bought is the original Acura NSX. They had a tire issue that wore out the rears in as little as 3,000 miles due to factory spec alignment specifications.

They still tempt me but my wife informs me that I have enough cars.....

·
Premium Member
5,294 Posts
Have always loved the NSX, but have never ridden in one.

I am not a big fan of the Opel GT. My dad had one but was given away while I was in Vietnam.

Went to the OPel nationa few years back, and looked at one to buy, but up close and personal it really is kind of goofy looking to me. I like the Manta much better in person. SciFi dude has a couple of them and highly modified. Wings and spoilers, front air dams, changes the look. Made wider and lower looking. They seem to tall and skinny for me. But I never liked the XKE either for the same reasons. Duh not the sharpest knife in the drawer I guess.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I love the old Opel GT's. My neighbors uncle had one and every time he'd visit I would go out and ogle the car as it sat in front of the house. The bulge on the hood for the turbo would later come back to "haunt" me if you will. I had a 1990 Plymouth Laser 2.0 NA and a 1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD. Both cars have a bulge in the hood for the overhead cam's timing belt cover but people constantly would point towards that bulge and ask, "Is that for the Turbo!?"

To this day I feel that question was because of that bulge in the old Opel GTs. LOL

The bulge on the Opel GT hood was to allow clearance for the carburetor and its air intake.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts