Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really interested in ordering a Sky soon. But in the back of my mind I have these nagging doubts about ordering a first year car. I have seen some of the problems on the Solstice cars and am concerned about the kinks getting worked out before spending this type of cash for a car. :confused:

I have had the pinion seal replaced
I have had a shock/strut replaced
My top has had water leaks that required new seals
My top has had work done to correct excessive wind noise
I have had repair work done to electronics (ecm/wiring or radio)
I have had interior trim pieces replaced or repaired
I have had body work re-aligned
I have had paint issues that required a re-paint or other dealer work
I have had other driveline issues.(i.e. carrier failure/ diff vent leak/ tranny)

I guess what I'm looking for is for posters to talk me into not worrying about the Sky.

P.S. I did talk to the dealer today and they will not mark up the Sky!:thumbs:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
I am hoping like a lot of us here that the Solstice kinda counts as the first year run of the car. I doubt that my Sky will be without issues but I hope most of the major problems will be worked out with the Solstice.

I expect everything will be covered by the manufacturer anyway. Just make sure to extend the Warr. :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
I have had the pinion seal replaced Was a valid issue and a tech bulletin wa announced. This means GM knows about the issue and is/has resolved it. Pretty sure any future cars made from that point would be issue free.
I have had a shock/strut replaced Maybe 2-4 owners have had this issue. Can be chalked up to the small % varience of bad cars made by any car company. Every company has some small # with issues.
My top has had water leaks that required new seals Same as the pinion seal but this was found earlier on and completely taken care of. New seals and alignment procedures were designed to take care of it.
My top has had work done to correct excessive wind noise Well the olstice doesn't have the liner like the Sky will stock, it's a convertible, what do you really expect from the cheapest Roadster in production?
I have had repair work done to electronics (ecm/wiring or radio) Maybe 2-4 owners have had this issue. Can be chalked up to the small % varience of bad cars made by any car company. Every company has some small # with issues.
I have had interior trim pieces replaced or repaired This was only a couple of very early cars. Supposedly some parts were painted wrong by the part maker. Parts were fixed very early on and is not an issue any longer.
I have had body work re-aligned First ever almost completely hydroformed car. Can't expect perfection the first time it's done. Sky might have this issue too since it uses different panels.
I have had paint issues that required a re-paint or other dealer work I think most of these were chalked up to normal transportation issues most vendors cars are exposed too. I do remember maybe 4-6 members who had real issues though, but that's 6 of several thousand.
I have had other driveline issues.(i.e. carrier failure/ diff vent leak/ tranny) same as the first

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problems but man I'm glad the Solstice went first! So are you happy with her now?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
I am sure there are problems with all first year cars.. but i was ASSURED...... "the bugs" have all been worked out with the Solstice.... so, on that note... i am still very excited to get my baby... and....... COME ON ALREADY.:willy: . WHERE IS IT?.... SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
SkyBaby said:
I am sure there are problems with all first year cars.. but i was ASSURED...... "the bugs" have all been worked out with the Solstice.... so, on that note... i am still very excited to get my baby... and....... COME ON ALREADY.:willy: . WHERE IS IT?.... SkyBaby-07
It's coming SkyBaby, trust me it is coming. Think calendar, spring, Mar 21. My predication, of course!

ERNEST

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
rick112 said:
Sorry to hear about the problems but man I'm glad the Solstice went first! So are you happy with her now?
Ditto :thumbs:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Ernest said:
It's coming SkyBaby, trust me it is coming. Think calendar, spring, Mar 21. My predication, of course!

ERNEST

Ernest..... i am trying to hold on to the "spring" thing...... actually thinking of taking a long weekend to vegas.... i need some fun and sun, and distractions!!!!!..... SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Ernest said:

ERNEST
March is just around the corner. Want to speed up time just purchase something, that is thirty days same as cash :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
107 Posts
No worries, mate

Not to worry here, mate. As has been mentioned, the Solstice got the shaft with its being first off. Think that was just the way it occurred, nothing behind it? Forget it.

My Crossfire is first year, and hasn't had a bum day in its life. Bit different sort of GT car, though, but these days I'd say all is well, unless it's a regular GM car, in which case, blighters, all. Perhaps save the Corvette, but I've got a Viper that doesn't like the buggers.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
WDI-SKY said:
Not to worry here, mate. As has been mentioned, the Solstice got the shaft with its being first off. Think that was just the way it occurred, nothing behind it? Forget it.

My Crossfire is first year, and hasn't had a bum day in its life. Bit different sort of GT car, though, but these days I'd say all is well, unless it's a regular GM car, in which case, blighters, all. Perhaps save the Corvette, but I've got a Viper that doesn't like the buggers.
TO may to To mah to

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not at all

I certainly hope your fruit analogy wasn't aimed at the Viper lot, because, friend, you'd be very, very, very, very, and indeed altogether, mistaken.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
rick112 said:
Those aren't my issues, I was just responding to his list of worries.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Good to know the problems are old news and have been corrected:thumbs:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts