Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 things to mention

1 - Spoke with my dealer's GM. She told me that allocations are not based on volume dealerships but rather GM is basing them on "regional convertible market sales comparisons". Supposedly GM is researching the areas (Milwaukee, WI in my case) and determining the allocations to our 4 dealers based on current sales of Miata's, S2000's, Z350's, and the like. If an area has high convertible sales (S. Cal, Texas, Florida, etc...) the allocations are increased so the Sky's can retain a set market share. In areas like WI, MN, MI, etc... where convertible sales are lower due to climate, allocations are reduced since GM considers the lower overall convertible sales numbers to imply less risk of lost Sky sales.

Is she crazy? Is this known and I am hearing it for the first time? Scary, but it actually makes good business sense to me!?!? :rolleyes:

2 - After hearing the above, we got into price protection. As so many have stated in this forum, an order number from VOMS will get you the protection. HOWEVER.....the order is only good for the model year it is placed, 2007 in our cases. When the model year turns over, those with orders not placed are SCRATCHED. A new order number is provided for the 2008's and the car will be subject to the new pricing. I found this out since Milwaukee gets around 5 Sky's / month and 2 will be RL's now. I'm #21 on the RL list...do the math - I end up 10 months out in late-June or early-July.....right on the edge of the new model year. :mad: :mad: :mad:

3 - So to make me "happier", my sale guy tosses me the keys to a new Aura XR. A great car!!! Very Euro (a la Opel again). The XR comes with a 6-speed auto tranny hooked into a 252-HP VVT 6-cylinder. What makes it fun? IT HAS PADDLE SHIFTING!!!! I dropped it into "M" on the stick and the viewing center displays M1. A pounce on the pedal and it pins you to the seat until you paddle down into M2 and so forth. VERY, VERY SWEET SHIFTING!!!! :thumbs:

I can only hope that WI convertible sales slow, my order is cancelled for a 2007, and I have the chance for a 2008 with possibly this awesome shifting (albeit at a higher price)!

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
3 things to mention

1 - Spoke with my dealer's GM. She told me that allocations are not based on volume dealerships but rather GM is basing them on "regional convertible market sales comparisons". Supposedly GM is researching the areas (Milwaukee, WI in my case) and determining the allocations to our 4 dealers based on current sales of Miata's, S2000's, Z350's, and the like. If an area has high convertible sales (S. Cal, Texas, Florida, etc...) the allocations are increased so the Sky's can retain a set market share. In areas like WI, MN, MI, etc... where convertible sales are lower due to climate, allocations are reduced since GM considers the lower overall convertible sales numbers to imply less risk of lost Sky sales.

Is she crazy? Is this known and I am hearing it for the first time? Scary, but it actually makes good business sense to me!?!? :rolleyes:

2 - After hearing the above, we got into price protection. As so many have stated in this forum, an order number from VOMS will get you the protection. HOWEVER.....the order is only good for the model year it is placed, 2007 in our cases. When the model year turns over, those with orders not placed are SCRATCHED. A new order number is provided for the 2008's and the car will be subject to the new pricing. I found this out since Milwaukee gets around 5 Sky's / month and 2 will be RL's now. I'm #21 on the RL list...do the math - I end up 10 months out in late-June or early-July.....right on the edge of the new model year. :mad: :mad: :mad:

3 - So to make me "happier", my sale guy tosses me the keys to a new Aura XR. A great car!!! Very Euro (a la Opel again). The XR comes with a 6-speed auto tranny hooked into a 252-HP VVT 6-cylinder. What makes it fun? IT HAS PADDLE SHIFTING!!!! I dropped it into "M" on the stick and the viewing center displays M1. A pounce on the pedal and it pins you to the seat until you paddle down into M2 and so forth. VERY, VERY SWEET SHIFTING!!!! :thumbs:

I can only hope that WI convertible sales slow, my order is cancelled for a 2007, and I have the chance for a 2008 with possibly this awesome shifting (albeit at a higher price)!
The allocation is based on 50% volume and 50% roadster market. This is a fact. She is wrong.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The allocation is based on 50% volume and 50% roadster market. This is a fact. She is wrong.
50/50 from my General Manager as well. If you do not sell volume -- you won't get many -- and that will be tembered by climate as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts