Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Though i've seen a few people talk about this issue, I was wondering what experiences ya'll are having using Onstar as a phone.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I use it at least twice a week -- Perfect I have had no problems - but I am usually under 45 mph. No wind noise (or not bad) reported and the caller sounds like they are sitting in the car with you! (Coming through the Monsoon).:thumbs:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I use it quite often and it works very well top up or down, good feature to have in a pinch..plus it make shifting a whole lot easyer...LOL

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Side windows up when driving at speed helps immeasurably. Also, make sure you use long names for things - otherwise it can get confused about doing the speech recognition.

For example, I used my street address when I want to call home. It's easier for the voice recogition to uniquely identify "Colorado Boulevard" than it is to identify "Home" when there is background noise.

So, instead of "Mom, Tom, Rob, Bob, and Todd" use "My Mother" and "Tom at work" and "My Brother-in-Law Bob" and "Todd from Across the Street." That helps a ton, too.

I live and die by my OnStar phone. It's great.

·
Registered
420 Posts
it works great.
I've used it a couple times already and it's awesome using the voice-dial feature, plus it's handsfree for better safety!
I think you also receive 30 minutes free for the first 2 months then you have to buy additional minutes if you want to continue service.

·
Registered
128 Posts
SUNNY_SKY said:
it works great.
I've used it a couple times already and it's awesome using the voice-dial feature, plus it's handsfree for better safety!
I think you also receive 30 minutes free for the first 2 months then you have to buy additional minutes if you want to continue service.

Or you can hook it up through onstar to use your verizon account (if you have one), the minutes used are just deducted from the minutes on your plan (just like adding another line to the plan) this is what I intend on doing when I get mine

·
Registered
669 Posts
I've already ordered 100 minutes twice. At $9.95 a month to add to my Verizon account, right now it's about a wash as to which is the better deal. If I continue to use more minutes, I'll probably just add it to myVerizon acct.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Just noticed when using the phone tonight that my remaining number of minutes on my OnStar account displays in the stereo display as I am talking... I was watching it go 190, 189, 188...

Pretty darned cool.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yup!

jdigiant said:
Just noticed when using the phone tonight that my remaining number of minutes on my OnStar account displays in the stereo display as I am talking... I was watching it go 190, 189, 188...

Pretty darned cool.
I made my first call last night (with the top down..sound quality good) and noticed that too! :thumbs:

·
Registered
804 Posts
We use it all the time. Hooked it up to Verizon's family plan for $10 a month and we share the minutes with our other phones. Works quite well...you might have to say "directory" to hear the names stored, and how they are spoken, to be able to use the voice fast. For example, you might put a different inflection on someones name, then your wife tries to call out but can't as she says the name a little different. It's better if you say "Call Rich's Office" as it give the computer more to go on than just "Call Rich". You can also just call a number by saying "Dial.." and then the number, but say the number fast without pausing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Is OnStar have a special setup with Verizon?? Or can you use any phone service. I have Sprint. Also if you have a bluetooth phone can you use the voice program. OR is that an ONSTAR thing?
I think if I could add it to my Sprint plan I would get Onstar (after the free year)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
hersheytx said:
Is OnStar have a special setup with Verizon?? Or can you use any phone service. I have Sprint. Also if you have a bluetooth phone can you use the voice program. OR is that an ONSTAR thing?
I think if I could add it to my Sprint plan I would get Onstar (after the free year)
As far as I know Verizon is the co-operation plan only.
As far as connecting it to my Verizon plan -- you have to look at the costs. I don't use a lot of minutes and at $15.00 for 100 minutes or $10.00 a month to attach the phone to my plan. You have to weight it. I plan to have the car out of circulation 3-5 months a year so the could be 30-50 dollars for nothing. Also if I use on 70-80 minutes a month you are looking at a wash or a bit of savings to stay off the Verizon plan as that would cost $120 a year.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
hersheytx said:
OnStar uses the Verizon network exclusively. You can not use it with any other provider.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
hersheytx said:
Also if you have a bluetooth phone can you use the voice program
To answer your question, no you cannot use the bluetooth thur the onstar, sorry...:nonod:

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
ggccg said:
OnStar uses the Verizon network exclusively. You can not use it with any other provider.
I wonder why the Onstar in my van has FAR better coverage than my Verizon mobile phone. HUGE, HUGE difference.:mad:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
snaponbob said:
I wonder why the Onstar in my van has FAR better coverage than my Verizon mobile phone. HUGE, HUGE difference.:mad:
I believe it has to do with the antenna.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
snaponbob said:
That's because your OnStar phone operates with 3 watts of power. Your regular cell phone is somewhere around 1/2 watt so you don't fry your brain when using it. The trunk lid of the Sky also provides a convenient ground plane that enhances the functionality of the antenna.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
ggccg said:
so you don't fry your brain when using it.
Im afraid for some of us its too late...:lol:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
We love ours. I was thinking that it would be a neat "toy" to have since it was included for the first year but, after using it and having the abillity to add it to our Verizon account (or just adding the 100 minutes as needed - still working the math on that) we're gonna keep it.

Sound quality is great and with the top up or down w/windows up, conversation is easy. Hands free is a big plus too.

:D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts