Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone has Onstar how long did it take to get your phone numbers. For me it's going on 3 weeks.:brentil: I'm ready to get my hands free and on the wheel. Thanks

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Mitchell said:
If anyone has Onstar how long did it take to get your phone numbers. For me it's going on 3 weeks.:brentil: I'm ready to get my hands free and on the wheel. Thanks
Wow...I picked up my car on Saturday, July 1st...and finally got around to calling OnStar for my phone number on Monday, July 3rd...the OnStar rep gave it to me right then and there while I was talking to him. Three weeks seems like an awfully long time just to get a phone number. :confused: I wonder what the delay is? Have you called them? They should be able to give it to you right away.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
triple black said:
push the phone button and say "number". It should be on the system.
Ooooooh, that's right...I forgot about THAT! Doh! :lol: But actually, I think you're supposed to say "my number"...or maybe it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
triple black said:
push the phone button and say "number". It should be on the system.

I've done that, but it keeps saying, "It hasn't been set for personal calls". I spoke with the Onstar guy. All he could tell me is that there wasn't a number available in my area! So it's like I got to wait for a ph. # now!:banghead: Im in the (325) area code. Oh well life goes on! Thank GOD for Sprint.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I thought the phone was a satellite phone, somehow integrated with On-Star. That is how On-Star works where there is no cell coverage, and why we have that funcky little antenna.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
TexSon said:
I thought the phone was a satellite phone, somehow integrated with On-Star. That is how On-Star works where there is no cell coverage, and why we have that funcky little antenna.:rolleyes:
It (on star) uses satellite functionality -- but for all intents and purposes it’s (the hands free calling) a cell phone. Plus you have to have a local number --- sounds like that 325 area code is a bit overused!

I got mine the moment I activated my hands free calling.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
right when I called and activated On-star number was assigned. E-mail at home when I got there.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
TexSon said:
OnStar is strictly cell... not a satellite phone. It will work in areas where you might not get a signal on your personal cell phone because it operates at 3 watts... several times the strength of your personal phone.

The funky little antenna keeps you from frying your brain when using the OnStar phone.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
It took about 3 minutes on the line with an OnStar operator to get the number assigned and activated.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I received my very first phonecall using the handsfree OnStar phone in my Sky today. :cool: I told my hubby to call the Sky so that we could try it out. I could hear him crystal clear...and other than some minor wind noise (I had the top down, going about 35mph) he said he could hear me just fine. I'm diggin' it! :thumbs:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Our number was available about 3 hours after we picked up the car. Isn't it a little unnerving to have the Onstar person take over your stereo with all the speakers? "OnStar, good morning Mr. ----, how may we help you?" is kind of wierd when it comes at you from all sides.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I don't remember, but I don't recall it taking that long...... you should call. You set it up all the way through, right? You have the literature on it,or no?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally got my phone number today. :thumbs:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ok, I have a phone question.... when you set a number (ie "call home")... how do you delete it? I have 2 names that are so close ("mom" and "home") that it has trouble differentiating. How do you delete one of them? I just can't seem to find how to do this... thanks in advance! :confused:

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have 2 names that are so close ("mom" and "home") that it has trouble differentiating.

You can just set up a new number for either one, you have 20 to use. Set up home as "my house" or use your moms name.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts