Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we all know that the Opel Gt and the RL are one in the same.....meaning that changing the badges would pretty much make it an opel. I love saturn but it might be cool to change the badges and say that its an import from europe:D whats your thoughts and have you heard of any places you can by badges?

·
Registered
173 Posts
.......come on.:willy: I'm reading all these changes here and there, why bother buying a Saturn Sky at all?:confused:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you really want an OPEL GT that bad, go to Europe and buy one and ship it home, that way it will really be an Opel, and not a fraud!!!!:lol: :lol: :D :jester:

haha....i know....i agree, it might kinda ruin the car...probably even the resale. just wondering what you thought of it.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Wood Dash

Had a friend that can read German, read the webpage for the Opel GT. It has a wood dash, yes wood so its not just like the Sky, changing the badges would trick some but any car buff would spot it as a fraud in a heart beat.

TulsaSky

we all know that the Opel Gt and the RL are one in the same.....meaning that changing the badges would pretty much make it an opel. I love saturn but it might be cool to change the badges and say that its an import from europe:D whats your thoughts and have you heard of any places you can by badges?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Opel doesn't have side marker lights at front fender... a quick giveaway...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Had a friend that can read German, read the webpage for the Opel GT. It has a wood dash, yes wood so its not just like the Sky, changing the badges would trick some but any car buff would spot it as a fraud in a heart beat.

TulsaSky
Did you say "wood dash"....now we're talking Roadster!

·
Registered
422 Posts

TulsaSky
Don't where you got this info from: the Opel GT has the same dash as you get in the USA version.
Main differences are

- front bumper without side marker lights
- rear bumper has a modified deepening for the licence plate because the European plates are longer and smaller
- European legal lights (proofing number on it, no technical difference)
- and of course the badges (front, rear inside, steering wheel, rims)

In my opinion the Opel Lightning Bolt looks a little nicer then this Saturn Emblem, but for me in Germany it could be interesting to change back to the Saturn badges because in Germany nearly nobody knows Saturn as a carmaker.

BTW would it be legal to drive without side marker lights in the USA?

Another point to consider:
If I would import a SKY RL to Germany there would be no warranty by GM/Opel. Same if you import an Opel GT to USA. That's because they want to do the business theirselve. :mad:

·
Registered
877 Posts
How about Saturn rebadge of the speedster...........

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
HOLY CRAP. :drool: :drool: I haven't even got my Redline yet, and I would trade it in a heartbeat for THAT car. :thumbs:

·
Registered
514 Posts
That is a great idea, that is the first thing I am going to order for my sky. :cool:

You won't have to go to Europe to get it, the car is made in Deleware LOL.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
To make a Saturn into a "Fool-the-Semi-Knowledgeable" Opel clone would be more involved than a few badges...

FIRST - you have to decide if you want to start with a base SKY and install the turbo engine, or if you want to start with a Red Line...

Remember, the Red Line has lots of subtle differences from the Base Sky that the Opel does NOT share - blacked out headlights, stitching on the seats (how are you gonna remove THAT without replacing the leather?), the chrome trim around the brake cooling ducts - the Opel has neither.

The Opel looks like a base SKY but has the turbo motor. Just changing the badges ain't gonna fool anybody who knows SKYs. Don't you think it would look dopey with Opel badges and "SKY" stitched into the seats? Still, that's probably better than to rebadge a base SKY as an Opel and then have the normal 2.4 motor under the hood...

·
Registered
420 Posts
No badge changing on mine.

I'm proud it's a SATURN. :thumbs:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Opal Sky Redline FTW(For The Win)!!!:jester:

·
Registered
380 Posts
WOW! OMG What a Car!

If this car would cost about what I payed for my Sol, I'd buy it!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Opel Speedster

If this car would cost about what I payed for my Sol, I'd buy it!
This car isn't in production any more.
It was a Lotus Elise aluminium chassis (some inches extended wheelbase) with an Opel drivetrain and an Opel design. Car body was made of glass-fibre reinforced plastic. The car was build at the Lotus plant in Hethel/Norwich in England.

Production started in 2000, Opel planned to build it 3 years with a max. production of 10,000 units. The car had the 2.2 L Ecotec engine with 147 hp.
Because of low demand Opel decided in 2003 to offer a second engine: 2.0 L turbo with 200 hp. Opel stopped production in July 2005 after only 7,000 units produced.
In England the car was badged as Vauxhall VX220 and VRX220 (with 2.0 L 220 hp turbo engine).

The price range was between € 30,000 and 40,000.

Maybe the car could have got more success if GM had decided to sell it in the USA too, badged as a Suturn.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts