Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I contacted a European dealership to try to order the front grill of an opel get and swap it with the sky i hope it goes through what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
personally, i think you should be proud of the badging on it already, but that's your decision. It looks to me to be an exact fit, so it should work theoretically. You might get shafted on shipping though.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
personally, i think you should be proud of the badging on it already, but that's your decision. It looks to me to be an exact fit, so it should work theoretically. You might get shafted on shipping though.
Yeah but i like the whole, keeping people guessing on what car it is...

·
Registered
422 Posts
So I contacted a European dealership to try to order the front grill of an opel get and swap it with the sky i hope it goes through what do you guys think?
I think it's to early to get spare parts of the Opel GT because the start of delivery will be in spring next year.
The Opel GT will be Turbo only but with the front bumper design of the base Sky.

The main differences are

- Speedo in km/h
- front bumper without side marker lights in base Sky design but with vented brakes
- rear bumper has a modified deepening for the licence plate because the European plates are longer and smaller (see pic)

- European legal lights (proofing number on it, no technical difference)
- and of course the all the badges (front, rear inside, steering wheel, rims) and the door sill plates

opelgt_800x600_3.jpg

Here you can see that the edges of the deepening for the license plate are in line with the tail lights and not in line with the edges of the decklid as on the US model.
Maybe there are some more differences we don't even know today here in Germany :D

·
Registered
514 Posts
looks good! I like the Opel sports car / rally heritage and their logo looks cooler cause its symetrical and not red :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it's to early to get spare parts of the Opel GT because the start of delivery will be in spring next year.
The Opel GT will be Turbo only but with the front bumper design of the base Sky.

The main differences are

- Speedo in km/h
- front bumper without side marker lights in base Sky design but with vented brakes
- rear bumper has a modified deepening for the licence plate because the European plates are longer and smaller (see pic)

- and of course the all the badges (front, rear inside, steering wheel, rims) and the door sill plates

View attachment 6188

Here you can see that the edges of the deepening for the license plate are in line with the tail lights and not in line with the edges of the decklid as on the US model.
Maybe there are some more differences we don't even know today here in Germany :D
good info!

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you want an opel GT then buy one :) I have 3 - 1970, 72 and 73 ......:willy:

·
Registered
18,100 Posts
it will definitely confuse the public...by now, most car enthusiasts and those that r not, know the image of the SKY...they know it is a Saturn...if u want it to look like an Opel, do it correctly and don't piece meal it...

·
Registered
2,381 Posts

:agree: :agree: :agree:

To me it's useless . And a wast of money.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Euro specs

Question!
Does that mean you would have to change the lights for import to Europe?
Would it be TUV approved for say Germany and Norway as delivered in the US? Anybody know?

I will try to order the SKY with euro spec..hope they go along with it! :willy:

Waiting, and still waiting

Chili Pepper Red
Premium TAN
19' TSW Kyalami Chrome
LSD
Monsoon
Opel badges

Hope Santa arrives early this year! :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
What are you going to do about the rest of the badging? I am refering to the interior and the back end. :confused:

·
Registered
422 Posts

Question!
Does that mean you would have to change the lights for import to Europe?
Would it be TUV approved for say Germany and Norway as delivered in the US? Anybody know?

I will try to order the SKY with euro spec..hope they go along with it! :willy:
For Germany and (all?) other European Countries it's necessary to have the ECE design certification for the lamp and the bulb.

The Opel GT import cars (modified Sky RL) will have, don't know if the Sky will have because it's not needed in the USA I think.

Example for a H8 bulb: ECE E1 24H
Example for a H11 bulb: ECE E1 25S

Example for a headlamp: ECE E1 xyz..

For Germany it's necessary for street legal registration, if not changing of lamp and/or bulb is required. For Norway I don't know.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I am a little indifferent about changing the badging of cars. I really only have a problem when people claim a more powerful car than their model (example: putting an M3 badge on a standard 3-Series). The Opel is kind of in the middle since it it is the redline equivilent of the base Sky -- sure 90% of the population won't know the difference but that 10% will most likely find it lame.

Im all behind someone on the forum giving it a shot though, I'd love to see pics and actually if I passed a Sky with an Opel badge on the road, Id probably smile if anything.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got a lot of hate mail on that one! ,as for the other badges's im sure there will be generic ones being made with different styles, example would be the honda badges that people switch out with different logos.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I guess there is a responce in here somewhere so, heres my take on this and I also want to point out that sending you "hate mail" is really lame.

Its your money, its your car and its your choice to do or not to do ANYTHING to it. The good folks expressing their opinions are justly responding to the issue/statement/question (whichever) that each of us makes when we make a 'posting' or make a personal statement with hair, clothes, music, food, partners, and all of the rest of lifes choices. Each one will be evaluated, and may be commented on. Thats the simple facts of life.

My opinion on Opel badging is different than yours. Ok. You want Opel badges, put the suckers on.

·
Registered
514 Posts
What's the point?

Looks better, more exclusive. Most of the car show winners for sport compacts win because they are unique and not like every other car made. If that means importing parts that only come OEM in different markets like JDM or EDM thats often what it takes.

In Japan they import the USA Integra front end, and in the USA tuners import the JDM Integra front end which is totally different. Or putting HONDA badges on your Acura NSX because in Japan there is no such thing as Acura. Its all the same company, GM, and like someone said as long as you aren't claiming something you dont have, like a Saleen Mustang or Turbo badge on a NA car its a definite cool factor.

However, if you aren't into details like this then exactly, whats the point. Only the hard core enthusiats will get it, your average person won't have any idea.

Here is some history of OPELs and all the models you can't get in the US:
http://www.opelclub.com/html/opel_history.html

1 - 20 of 33 Posts